[IRCA] broken radio

greetings

my Sony ICF-SW7600GR is my constant companion when traveling (of late
usually to Ottawa - Golden Lake - Peterborouogh) but then this week it fell
from a height of about 3 feet.  I am back home now, and find FM works fine
but AM (all bands) is woeful.  Locals on 690 and 650 used to be great, now
sound like Seattle area stations (710, 1000) used to.  Even 1130, formerly
very good is almost unreadable.  No reception at all for other locals (980,
1200).

So my guess is, the internal antenna has come adrift somehow.

And I am thinking I will open it up and have a look.  Any cautions?  I ask
as I am quite the butterfingers in matters of repair, and can often find
innovative ways to make a bad situation worse.

Thanks

Eric "how'd I get butter on my fingers?" Floden
Vancouver BC