Re: [IRCA] unattended Perseus recording scheduler (HDSDR)

âWalt,

âDidn't you used to have issues with TOTH recorder skipping over recordings
unpredictably, and you abandoned it for MESTOR?â

âI'm glad TOTH is working so well for Paul.â
âI've heard of others avoiding it because MESTOR was the only add-on
scheduler they found which worked 100% of the time.â

âThat said, I find the scheduler built into HDSDR to be flawless. Any
issues I've had have been operator error. HDSDR also has the "IF" recording
option which can be handy if you want the flexibility of a WAV (IQ)
recording of a single station without the huge file size of a large swath
of spectrum. I believe it's an IQ recording of just 15 kHz wide. The
resulting smallish file can be shared with other HDSDR users easily, and
they can manipulate the signal during playback just like a full band width
WAV recording.â

My two favorite SDR programs continue to be HDSDR and Studio 1, although I
still have a lot to learn about Studio 1. The Studio 1 author claims that
his proprietary DSP (rather than the open source DSP code base) is
responsible for some of the performance advantages of his program. Whatever
the reason I think the audio quality in particular is superb on Studio 1,
especially its Selectable SYNCH-AM modes.

I found this information from Studio 1's home page
<http://www.sdrapplications.it/> to be interesting:

Second question: on what Studio 1 is better in comparison to free programs?

The first big difference is in the Digital Signal Processing core, the
"radio" itself. In a SDR system traditional analog circuits are replaced
with software functional blocks; the quality of the processing is heavily
influenced by the design.  In Studio 1 the spurious/alias free dynamic
range is greater than 130 dB
(measurements data will be published as soon as possible but you can do
tests yourself) and at the same time the DSP core is so efficient that the
program can be used with older PCs (Pentium 4 machines) with excellent
results.

We can safely state that Studio 1 is the most efficient SDR program
available (at CPU resources level) when compared to free ones. For the less
technical readers, the spurious free dynamic range influence the capability
of the receiver to resolve small signals in presence of in-band strong
signals. In comparison, other software has as low as 70 dB (or less) SFDR
when strong signals are inside the down-sampling band; still as an example,
other software is much more "heavy" on CPU resources by one order of
magnitude at least.

Further more at the DSP level Studio 1 features (among others):

A selectivity filter with an ultimate rejection greater than 140 dB.
A unique distortion-free double stage AGC with fully adjustable parameters.
Multiple notch filters with BW adjustable down to 1 Hz, Notch Lock feature.
A unique synchronous AM mode with selectable/adjustable sidebands,
dedicated PLL input filter, selectable PLL time constants.

I don't mean to highjack this HDSDR discussion, but wanted to add a few
tidbits about Studio 1 for those who may not be aware of it.

Regarding Jaguar Lite, I found it disappointingly basic, and well, TOO
"lite" compared to the full Jaguar program.â

â73,

Guy Atkins
âPuyallup, WA