Re: [IRCA] All-Digital AM Co-Channel Lab Test Results Unveiled

The lack of success of HD on both AM and FM should be a lesson that not
only do people need a reason to switch, it needs to be a strong reason.
It is true that for both, the capable receivers were neither readily
available nor reasonably priced.

As to the coverage issues, there's a lesson to be learned from the TV
conversion. In most cases, the digital coverage area was less than the
analog coverage area, and the nature of the digital signals - all or
nothing - is a contributing factor to that.

I see nothing to suggest that digital on either AM or FM would improve
reception in large concrete and steel buildings in the cities. Certainly
that isn't the case with IBOC.

The past 30 or so years however have demonstrated that neither the industry
leaders nor the FCC are very good at absorbing the lessons of their past
actions.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NW Phila
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>

AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip