[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 8-14, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page46

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** NEWFOUNDLAND [and non]. 2598-USB, April 8 at 0055 UT, S4 YL voice in French, which per Canadian CG website
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Marine-Communications/RAMN-2015/Part-2-Atlantic-Facilities-Information
is, starting at 0048 UT, MCTS Placentia, VCP via St Lawrence site (in SE Nfld Island), with ``Technical marine synopsis, forecasts and wave height forecasts for marine areas: 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 and 238. Weather and Wave height forecasts for marine area 213.``

And nothing about it being bilingual like some other entries. Routine check of the CCG frequencies around sunset here, not really expecting to pull them thru increasing spring noise level, but also:

2749-USB, April 8, 0056 UT, also S4 signal but sounds slightly weaker, in English. This one is, starting at 0040 UT, MCTS Sydney, Nova Scotia, VCO via Port Caledonia site, with ``Radiotelephony --- Technical marine synopsis and forecasts for marine areas: 209, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 231 and 232. Wave height forecasts for marine areas: 209, 213, 214, 215 and 217. Notices to Shipping in areas Cape Breton Shore (covering Cabot Strait to Banquereau Bank), Gulf of St. Lawrence, Newfoundland South Coast, P.E.I. and Miramichi Bay. Notices to Shipping revising the position of every reported offshore exploration and exploitation vessel`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, April 9 at 1818 UT, KGYN Guymon with C&W music is still reading S3 on daytime groundwave into the Wellbrook and NRD-545. Circa 0100 UT April 10, it`s quite strong with more of same by skywave, still presumably on 10 kW day pattern until official April sunset of 0115 UT (May: 0145 UT; June, July: 0200 UT) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, April 9 at 1257 UT, open carrier/dead air, so is it KOKB Blackwell or something atop it? Finally make out some weak modulation same as on sibling 1020 KOKP Perry, about the joys of shooting turkeys (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. 580, April 10 at 1209-1211 UT, Pres. Obama`s Weekly Address, about consumer protexion, via WIBW Topeka KS. Assume this is a regular spot, Sundays at 1206 UT. These used to air first on Saturdays at 1406 UT followed by Republican dis-response an hour later, or vice versa. C-SPAN (1) tries to schedule them circa 2220 UT Saturdays, not always succeeding, just before their media program, The Communicators (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220 kHz, appropriately at 1220 UT April 8, ads for Table Rock Community Bank, and for Ed`s Heating & Cooling, loops NE/SW or so --- love it when I hear unique local ads! Bank name leads to Kimberling City, Stone County, Missouri, with a branch in Branson, so KOMC, 1000/44 watts U1, Branson MO which is just east of Kimberling. Ed`s Heating & Cooling is not quite so unique, but there is such a biz in Branson (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, April 9 at 1222 UT, two ``1370 KGNO`` IDs before and after a commercial, then C&W music, 1226 UT fading into QRM. At last! I am hearing KGNO Dodge City KS, after months of trying, day, night and in-between like now just after sunrise. This 5000/230 watt U1 = non direxional day and night, should not be so difficult, only 151 miles = 243 km away, if it`s really been on the air with licensed facilities.

Next check April 10 at 0056 UT tune-in, I immediately get another ``1370 KGNO`` ID and C&W music! Yet I will never classify KGNO as a pest after so much abstinence (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, April 9 at 1237 UT while trying to ID the ``Ke Buena`` here (see UNIDENTIFIED), I get a bit of South Asian vocal music, which is surely the Asian-format listed station in Pasadena TX, KLVL, 5000/500 watts U4 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, April 10 at 0140 UT, dominant signal here is classic rock, ``Bee-Bop-Baby``, then 0141 UT, ``Wonderful K-Box in Dallas``, more tunes, heavy SAH at times of 4 or 5 Hz; 0144 UT, ``Go-go sound of wonderful K-Box in Dallas``, so reactivated KBXD is still stunting thus. I don`t find anything recent about KBXD on radiodiscussions or radioinsight. Radio-locator still has it as gospel music, way outdated. Earlier, April 9 at 1229-1245 UT during my ``Ke Buena`` log, see UNIDENTIFIED, I was wondering if that could have been another format change for KBXD. No, but why wasn`t I getting the present KBXD then? Now its major lobe to the NW is enough to take over 1480, but it sure sounds like 50 kW instead of nite power of 1.9 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, April 14 at 1243 UT, checking again for the mystery ``1290 y 1480 Quà Buena`` heard a few days ago, still none of that; dominant signal occupying 1480 instead of nearest KQAM Wichita, is several seguÃs of classic rock including Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, no ``Wonderful K-Box`` jingle non-IDs heard today, yet obviously KBXD Dallas on day power, altho not always so at this hour. Legal ID at hourtop 1300 UT as ``This is KBXD, 1480, Dallas`` with slight Spanish accent, and another tune. Never any commercials heard either --- a great jukebox for listeners, but how much longer can this go on? Must still be considered stunting (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, April 9 at 1250 UT, half a sesquihour after sunrise, classic rock is still overcoming KOKC talk which is pro-Celtic sea salt, anti-poisonous GM food, so KYND Cypress (Houston) TX is still QRMing KOKC from way out of its market, making very slow 26/minute SAH = 0.43 Hz. A few degrees apart, I can clear KOKC by tight nulling of KYND, but that also lessens KOKC signal which must still be on ~half the power of KYND, self-defeating; 1254 UT fading (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540.056, April 8 at 1227 UT, persistent het against 1540.00 KXEL, no doubt from KGBC Galveston TX, as previously identified, and still audible just about any time at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, April 12 at 0556 UT, promo for Yahoo Sports Radio shows, dominating even on E-W longwire, but no doubt KGOW Bellaire (Houston market) TX, 46 kW day power and pattern to the NE, rather than 15 kW night to the SE; as others have reported lately, including this just in from George Thurman, Houston:

Can you get KGOW 1560 up there at night? They have been running BOTH of their transmitter sites at the same [time] at night. I reported it to the CE. GEORGE THURMAN`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I sent the C.E. a voicemail about this Tuesday. It is still going on this Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (George Thurman, TX, Wed April 13, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

UNIDENTIFIED. 1480, April 9 at 1229 UT, Spanish ID for ``1290 y 1480, Ke Buena``, and I think preceded by an FM in the 102s. Again at 1245 UT, same non-ID by SHVA (super-hype voice actor). I`m getting this only by nulling the gardening show from KQAM Wichita which is NNE, but doesn`t mean this is directly ESE/WNW. Makes slow SAH just over 1 Hz, 64 fades per minute.

Searching for a matchup of Ke Buenas on 1290 & 1480 is unproductive, but it seems that 1480 KAVA Pueblo CO 1000/107 watts U3 is `Quà Bueno` per latest NRC AM Log, yet radio-locator say it`s I-25 Talk Radio (i.e. en inglÃs). And websearching leads to 1480 KCZZ Mission KS 1000/500 U4 as a Ke Buena, but not at all certain that is current, as NRC Log has it as a Radio Luz, and so does radio-locator now. KC is a bit clockwise from Wichita, so somewhat separable.

No 1290s at all in Colorado, nor in the KC KS/MO area. Very few SS on 1290 in NRC AM Log, none in adjacent or second-adjacent states except far KRGE Weslaco TX, then a religious Radio Vida. At this late hour after sunrise, I think all this must be nearby Unitedstatesian rather than Mexican --- and no Ke/Que Buenas listed on 1480 there.

Of course you never know by listening whether they are spelling it Quà in proper Spanish, or Ke, so putting an accent on that would be nonsensical. By now maybe more format changes unlisted yet. Any ideas? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also USA for other 1480s

UNIDENTIFIED. 1480, April 10 at 1237-1302 UT, I`m trying again for the ``1290 y 1480 Que/Ke Buena`` I had exactly 24 hours earlier, but today the only music I hear contending with talk from KQAM KS, is South Asian, i.e. KLVL Pasadena TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1480, April 12 at 1230-1245 UT, again no sign of ``1290 y 1480 Quà Buena``, mostly KQAM Wichita dominating as it will do more and more with earlying sunrises.

Thinking about this, where are there a 1290/1480 pair in nearby cities, close enough, yet far enough to make sense for a such a duo? Laramie & Cheyenne WY, both of which would need to have radically changed format, as 1290 KOWB is/was news/talk/sport in English; and 1480 KRAE Cheyenne is/was nostalgia/oldies {different licensees per FCC, but still possible.} Could Coloradans if not Wyomingans check these? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1589.944, April 8 at 1230 UT, by coincidence another persistent carrier against 1590.00 stations is making virtually the same 56-Hz pitch het as KGBC TX does above 1540, but I have never been able to pull anything more from this one to ID it. Also audible just about any night. Can`t be too far from here, and not KVGB KS nor KWEY OK. Several possibilities in TX and MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

If I recall, someone told me KWBG was on the low side of 1590. I get something there aimed west, but am not 100% sure what it is, 73 KAZ near Chicago (Neil Kazaross, IL, ABDX via DXLD) Boone IA, 1000/500 U2 (gh)

--- End Message ---