[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 18-24, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page45

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2749-USB, March 23 at 0248, YL voice with marine weather in English, poor in noise level. Canadian Coast Guard website shows VCS Halifax NS starts at 0240 via Sambro site with ``Radiotelephony, Technical marine synopsis, forecasts and wave height forecasts for marine areas: 201 to 214. Notices to Shipping in South Coast Nova Scotia area. Notices to Shipping revising the position of every reported offshore exploration and exploitation vessel`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[I notice that some MW editors don`t like to publish logs like the above; so be it, but may I point out that 1) MW goes up to 3000 kHz; and 2) these are broadcasts, even tho from utility stations]

==============

** OKLAHOMA. 1390, Sunday March 20 at 1253 UT, local KCRC Enid is open carrier/dead air except for some hum --- then interrupted a few times per minute by one syllable or another (from ESPN?) breaking thru the silence; still same past 1302 UT, and at 1307-1309 UT totally dead air. This should facilitate DX on adjacent frequencies, but no IDs for something peaking on 1400, and 1380 sounds like the usual KRCM Spanish gospel music from TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 680, March 18 at 1336 UT, ``Country Legends, KKYX, now in stereo on 104-9``. Does ``now`` imply a recent addition? No, as of last August it`s already in the NRC AM Log as // K285EU, 104.9, but it also shows $tereo (and IBOC) on 680. If so, why does KKYX San Antonio TX imply it`s not stereo on original AM frequency? Did they turn that off once they had the translator? BTW coverage of a 250-watt max FM translator is incomparable to a 50/10 kW lowband AM station. As for IBOC, I have not noticed any noise from it peaking at 667/693 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, March 19 at 0226 UT, songs in Spanish dominate, ENE/WSW, and not much from KRVN even when aiming N. This is on DSB, but later I need to listen on LSB only, to avoid KHAC NM/AZ QRM which is on USB only. Soon hear non-IDs inserted between songs, as ``La Tremenda 8-80, ---algo--- La Raza``. The word Raza immediately rules out MÃxico, since in that country the SS have no need to define themselves as a race! Next tune lyrix repeat over and over ``chocolate`` and ``soy feliz``. Another non-ID at 0231, but I can`t definitely comprehend the word(s) before ``La Raza``; guesses: ``sirviendo``; ``al tiempo con``. At 0235 UT, announcement leaves impression they are despidiÃndose, but more music follows. (Meanwhile I am switching back and forth with 1030; see MEXICO.) By now I have looked up 880 in the NRC AM Log and see ``La Tremenda`` is a station I have heard before, where else but in Highland IL, WIJR, 1700/160 watts U4; just east of St Louis MO.

880, 0259 UT March 19 trying for an ID, all I can get in QRM is a CBS TOH bong, presumably from WCBS NYC itself, a rarity here. No other C affiliates listed on 880. BTW, in case you haven`t heard, CBS corporate is considering getting rid of radio, a bombshell leading to much discussion, some to be quoted in the next DXLD (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1818, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, March 20 at 1312 UT, ``Real Country`` non-ID and into ``Louisiana Saturday Night`` from NE/SW. It`s KCWJ, Blue Springs MO (Kansas City suburb) confirming recent NRC report that they have flipped to C&W by this slogan, ex-religious/gospel (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
1
** U S A. 1150, re earlier unID report March 18: KSAL Salina KS website was extremely slow to load completely, but when I checked it a few hours later, linx had appeared, including:
http://www.ksal.com/ksal-lineup/
which shows news at the time I was listening, Friday 1340 UT, nothing about music, so rule out KSAL:

``The KSAL Morning News with Rich Alexander & Jeff Garretson
Salina callers: 823-9596 Long distance callers: 1-800-608-1150
Cell phone callers: *1150
E-mail: richalexander@xxxxxxxx & jeffgarretson@xxxxxxxx

Itâs Salinaâs #1 morning show, The KSAL Morning News, hosted by award-winning radio personalities Rich Alexander & Jeff Garretson. Youâll get national news from ABC, statewide news from the Kansas Information Network, Todd Pittenger in the KSAL newsroom, the Kansas Ag Network and Mike Hammet on sports. Itâs the perfect mix to start your day. 5:30-9am``

Rest of week`s schedule shows only talk shows, except gospel huxters on Sunday morning, which could of course include some Christian music, and what`s this `Bill Miller Show` at 5-8 am Sundays [10-13 UT]? Nothing about it except title. Ah yes, that`s the one I was thinking about, with ``Wax Works`` playing 78s, a Kansan thing:
http://www.thebillmillershow.com/
http://www.thebillmillershow.com/pages/history.php
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, March 20 at 0150 UT, KQQZ announcing that dead air is normally a no-no (really? witness my many logs of it from incompetent stations on MW and SW), but on this nonconformist station, a minute of silence is about to follow ``in memory of our loved ones`` (not clear if those were more clearly defined). ``If you tune to another station, don`t come back, because we don`t want you as a listener``. Well, it`s not totally dead, but a chime every 10 seconds from 0151.5 UT to 0152.5 UT. This is one of the Insane Broadcasting Company cluster almost owned by ``Bob Romanik "The Grim Reaper of Radio", ``The Kraziest Son of a Bitch you'll ever hear on the radio`` to quote his own website,
http://www.kqqz1190am.com/GrimReaper.html
Obviously on 10 kW day power rather than 22 watts nite, variously attributed to De Soto MO, Belleville IL, Fairview Heights IL === St Louis MO market (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1380, March 18 at 0147 UT, I`m checking for KRCM, Spanish gospel from TX, but instead hear English ad mentioning area code 901 a couple times. That leads to Memphis TN area, inhabited by WLRM Millington, 2.5/1 kW U4 ``Blues Southern Soul and More`` per NRC AM Log; but not much to go on, tentative (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, March 19 at 0202 UT, Fox News Radio promo for its Facebook fan community, back to news; 0206 UT local weather attributed to KWQC TV6, which was originally WOC-TV, so this is WOC Davenport IA, no longer related? Opening ``from the WOC studios, another hour of healthy conversation`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, March 21 at 0321 UT as I bandscan, promo for ``AM 1470 KVHS``, heard twice, and I`m pretty certain of the calls --- but they lead nowhere, nothing similar found in NRC AM Log, or FCC AM Query (unless it were 1420, KBHS Hot Springs AR --- surely not!).

So I try Barry McLarnon`s ``fuzzy`` search site via http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/
and get a hit on: KDHN Dimmitt TX, which is 500/140 watts in the panhandle, direxional westward, but close enough fonetikaly and geografikaly to be feasible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, March 18 at 0145 UT, gospel huxter from NW/SE dominates, no doubt Colorado Springs under its latest format and call KFCS, and 10 kW day power past 0100 official sunset, instead of 140 watt night power; overcoming my semi-local 1580 KOKB Blackwell OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, March 19 at 0159 UT, open carrier/dead air, S9+15 atop the CCI, including WPRR, Public Reality Radio, Ada (Grand Rapids) MI, joint ID for WPJC which is 88.3 in Pontiac IL. The OC/DA loops NW/SE, and can`t be anything but KRJO Monroe LA, especially since its music is missing as first noted March 17 at 0617 UT, so has it been dead all that time, still so at 0304 UT March 19, some 45 hours later?? Is anyone listening closer to Monroe? Does anyone care since it became a mere appendage to an FM station? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, UT March 20 at 0144 UT, gumbo ad during LSU Sports, so KRJO Monroe LA has come back to life after days(?) of dead air, for something more important than mere music from FM sibling; 0145 UT singing ad for WCK, foundation repair, and back to baseball (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, March 21 at 0427 UT, open carrier/dead air with some hum at S9+25, hard to DF but sort of N/S, making me suspect 50 kW daytimer KCTA Corpus Christi TX which has been known to do this before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, March 23 at 0229 UT check, still open carrier/dead air, presumed KCTA Corpus Christi TX, 50 kW non-direxional daytimer. March 24 at 0519 UT, still OC, plus big hum, and now I get a DF befitting Corpus (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1150, March 18 at 1340 UT, classic rock tunes dominate, looping NE/SW, rather than KSAL KS which would be N/S; 1342 UT ID amid tunes as ``All News Radio`` --- huhhh?? And then a gospel rock song; 1345 UT fading out but still not much from KSAL. Possibilities are KHRO El Paso TX 5000/380 watts U1, oldies; closer KOLJ Quanah TX 530/77 watts U1, supposed to be country classics; or even KRMS Osage Beach MO, 840/55 watts U1, news/talk. Could it be KSAL all along, skewed DF, and despite breaking format? Website http://www.ksal.com has nothing resembling a program schedule, but branded as NewsRadio 1150. Seems I have heard them with some music before, at least on weekends (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1700, March 18 at 0143 UT, classic rock song in English; would assume any station playing music would now be KKLF Richardson TX, but they have been Tejano; diversified? The other TX and IA 1700s are sports or at least talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---