Re: [IRCA] 1548 Australia into Michigan right now

Very nice! It seems that I slept too late this morning. Regarding signal
path direction to the station, I made a detailed study using my D-KAZ
phased array back in DU cx In Sept. My array on 1548 fully phased can
switch between beams less than 70 degrees wide and aimed either at 285 deg
or 243 deg. My bearing to 4QD is about 274 deg, and the carrier (had no
audio) was a couple dB stronger using the 285 deg direction.

In contrast, most other high band DU's that had carriers come from further
south in Oz (260 deg to Sydney) and are a more southerly direction from
here and if not equal on the two antennas, were a bit stronger with the
beam aimed 243 deg. Only audio was traces on 1611, but nothing I could even
dream of IDing.

I also checked in the 120m band, where fully phased, the beams are further
towards the NW and SW. These stations all come from further into Oz and
were better with the beam steered more towards the NW as expected, but they
were best when I reduced some phase to better aim right at them.

This leads me to believe that at least in Sept, there was no path skewing.

One does wonder how you can get 1548 at a bearing of 276 deg from you on a
D-KAZ aimed North. Looking at the pattern, signals should be down about 9
dB vs aiming right at Emerald, QLD. My tests indicate no skewing and
assuming that is the case for you, I'd say you're getting 1548 audio since
I assume that antenna direction clobbers anything on 1550. Or perhaps
something causes the path to skew northward in March?

73 KAZ Barrington IL