[IRCA] Off topic - Backup power for an AM Station

I wonder how many AM stations today have a backup power
system to keep them on the air during an emergency.  The
thread a few weeks back was the powerful AM station being
a life line during a major event like WWL was during
Hurricane Katrina.

Back in the 1970's, during a visit to the WLS site near my
home back then I personally witnessed a backup power test.
 The very friendly engineer on duty at the site showed me
their two separate ComEd feed lines coming in from two
different directions.  He even briefly interrupted one leg
of one 3 phase line causing their emergency backup diesel
generator to kick on and run for 10 minutes.  The big
diesel fuel tank could keep the generator running for
several days if ComEd power was completely lost.

Keeping all that equipment available cost money and I
wonder if WLS or other big AM stations still have backup
diesel generators.

Tom Jasinski

Below from Pete Taylor on March 13th.

Pretty blustery here in Tacoma this afternoon but it has
calmed down considerably. A semi got blown over on he
Narrows Bridge..... A few blinks earlier but no power
outages for us. Apparently there are about 45,000 peeps up
north who weren't so lucky. If our power goes out, I hop
on 1350-1370 since if ours goes but, KKMO?s does too. It
is about a mile away.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA