Re: [IRCA] 3" FSL Tecsun PL-380 TP-DX Recordings for 3-11 (Cont.)

Hi Nick,

<<<ÂÂ Do you receive HLQH-558 particularly at your
location? Â I've been finding this season that
HLQH is usually considerably more readable than
HLSA-603 here, as if the latter is
undermodulated. Â I don't think there is a new
noise source around 600kHz drowning it out.ÂÂ >>>

Actually 558-HLQH has had pretty good signal strength here as well, Nick, but it suffers greatly from 560-KPQ splatter at this location. As you are aware theÂferrite-based antennas have no back side rejection here such as they would at a solid rock ocean cliff location like Rockwork, and even with theÂmodest DSP selectivity currently offered in Ultralight radios the signal from 558-HLQH routinely gets plasteredÂby KPQ splatter here.

<<<ÂÂ You've usually had better signals overall on the
low band Asians ... >>>

In comparison to largeÂbroadband single-loop antennas the FSL's seem to perform relatively well on the lower MW frequencies, so I think that this has some relationship to what you have observed in the daily TP reports, Nick.ÂSimilar results have been obtained during DXpeditions on the Rockwork 4 cliff, where the small broadband loops + Perseus-SDR's dominate on the high band while the monster FSL's + Ultralights dominate on the low band. Bruce lives only about 40 miles from me, and both he and you routinely report various high band TP's that never show up here. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side?

73,ÂGary

Do you receive HLQH-558 particularly at your
location? Â I've been finding this season that
HLQH is usually considerably more readable than
HLSA-603 here, as if the latter is
undermodulated. Â I don't think there is a new
noise source around 600kHz drowning it out.

You've usually had better signals overall on the
low band Asians, but I haven't seen much mention of ÂHLQH.

best wishes,

Nick