Re: [IRCA] Fwd: Grayland Fishbarrel

--- Begin Message ---
<<
Nick, I was seeing 621 quite clearly around 22:45 local in Victoria, and
snippets of audio. My, Grayland was very lively this morning on the temp
DX Fishbarrel, while dead in Victoria at the same time! Walt

Reminds me of sunset on the shore at Granite Pier, Rockport, MA versus 15 miles / 25 km inland at Billerica, MA about a 55 minute drive away.  Live DX in the car at the seaside and same-time unattended home reception for comparisons were done a few times along with a lot of long term observations for both sites.

A ridiculous difference: the Algerian then on 1544 now 1550 hitting S9+40 at the pier and maybe about S8 peak inland.  760 Fortaleza, Brazil Q5 and S9 at Rockport and down in the noise at Billerica even on a better antenna.  1 kW Spaniards doing better at the shore than 100+ kW ones in the same frequency range did inland.

Over several decades, 25 or so Brazilians heard at coastal sites on Cape Ann and Cape Cod.  Maybe about 5 heard in suburbs northwest of Boston.  Go out to central MA and once in a while you *might* get the 1100 and 1220 Globo's once in a blue moon.

Crazy differences.  And that, my friends, is why we DXpedition.

Look at this pattern for WJDA 1300 Quincy, MA, a one-stick NON-directional station.  Though it's for groundwave I have no trouble believing that long-haul skip would behave about the same way.
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/pictures1/wjda-1300_pattern.gif

For each 1 mile you go west you can go 10 miles east for the same amount of attenuation.

Then, thinking as a DXer, superimpose a cardioid pattern terminated loop on that, further stretching out the transoceanic reach and suppressing stateside pests.  That's why loggings from DXpeditions seem totally nutty compared to most DXers' home results.  It's true whether East Coast or West Coast.  Newfoundland and Haida Gwaii are likely the most extreme.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

--- End Message ---