Re: [IRCA] 1500 KHz "Mystery Station"

Veteran DXers on this list know all about direction-finding with a portable
radio's built-in ferrite loopstick antenna. But it occurs to me that some
readers might not be familiar with it. So, for the benefit of those
unfamiliar with the technique, here is a good, short article explaining how
it works:
http://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/01/unassuming-antenna-ferrite-loopstick.html

The nulling technique off the ends of the antenna works especially well on
weak signals like our 1500 mystery (at least the signal is weak in my
area). And it's easy to align a compass with the length of a skinny
portable to get the bearing.

Maybe this will encourage everyone on the list, including those who
normally don't post, to give it a try and give us a report! Even "eyeball"
estimates of the null direction will help. Using the compass in your phone
adds precision.

73s,

Fred Schroyer