[IRCA] long time, no post

I have not posted here much in awhile, but I am working from home today twiddling my thumbs waiting for some files from work to be e-mailed to me, so while I am waiting, I thought I'd post.

A week or so ago, there was a brief discussion about the dearth of stations on 1710. That frequency is blank in my log, so I started monitoring 1710 intently for a couple of days and managed to hear the Springfield (MA) Armory National Historic Site TIS, 40 miles away.

I logged number 300 in my AM log just before the new year.

My main tools the past year were an Elecraft KX3, C.Crane Skywave and the stock radio in my 2007 Subaru Outback Sport. Antennas were a Terk Advantage, C.Crane Twin Coil Ferrite and a 40-meter inverted vee... the first two are indoors, the third is outdoors.

My best loggings mileage-wise the past year were KXEL (996 miles from the Subaru on the way to work), WBOB (924 miles), three Cubans (1300 to 1400 miles). I also logged a bunch of distant low-power stations, but whenever I mention those, some folks chime in claiming that those stations must have been running daytime power, so I won't bother mentioning them.

I plan to enhance my outdoor antenna farm after this winter ends.

73,

Stan, WA1LOU