[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 29-February 4, 20166

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page44

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 3280, Jan 30 at 1357 UT, S7 music and talk which matches 1640 KZLS, so second harmonic. Since this attenuates but does not go away as I reduce RF sensitivity on the R75, I think it is really propagated from east of Hennessey site rather than receiver overload.

Fortunately there is no longer an Ecuadorian to block here at night, tho there is in EiBi: OYR Aasiaat Radio, Greenland, in English presumably marine weather broadcasts for 10 minutes (USB?) at various H+:05 and H+:35 night and day including 0335, 0635 UT (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 4600, Jan 28 at 1352 UT, JBA talk, which on a hunch I match to local KCRC 1390, ESPN, so it`s some kind of local mix, not a harmonic. Didn`t split the frequency, but probably explains an unID earlier this year:

``UNIDENTIFIED. 4599.99, Jan 9 at 0643 UT, JBA carrier. No broadcasters listed here except R. Perla del Acre, Bolivia, in Aoki, another long-gone legacy entry, but never flagged as such. More likely it`s a MW harmonic from 1150- or 920-`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** U S A. During the Trumpless Republican debate, mainly on Fox `News` Channel, cable TV, I make a quick scan of the MW band Jan 29 at 0218-0222 UT and find the following big stations also carrying it: 1200 WOAI, 1110 KFAB, 1040 WHO, 1000 KTOK, 850 KOA, 840 WHAS, 740 KRMG. At that point into a commercial break, but I doubt any further down the dial (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

UNIDENTIFIED. 900, Feb 1 after 2200 UT, I`ve resorted to NOStalgia music from KSGL Wichita, which puts a sufficient signal into Enid despite 250 watts westward from Wichita, to accompany my nap, finding nothing more listenable on SW --- and I notice it has a constant SAH of 214/minute = 3.57 Hz. I wonder what that is? Skywave could be showing up by now, but closest other 900s on ground- or skywave are 1 kW KHOZ Harrison AR; 250 W KCLW Hamilton TX & KFLP Floydada TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, Jan 29 at 0143 UT, nulling KSTP to track two anomalies: a whine/ringing sound of varying pitch; and a station playing blues music. They don`t peak or fade at the same time, so not from a single station. Null means I am aiming ESE/WNW for least KSTP, but this is also close to peak for the others.

Forsaking other DX from 0208 UT, I stay on 1500 via the DX-398. At 0211 UT, ``weather for the capital/capitol region``, but I`m afraid this was KSTP creeping in during an ESPN break, as St Paul is of course, the capital of MN. Do they use an expression like that? Are there 1500s in any other capitals? Well, yes, like WFED in Washington DC; statewise, Indianapolis, Trenton, Honolulu.

Unless that was one, I do not hear any announcements, let alone IDs from the blues station. At 0224 it fades up when it is more like soul music, 0226 seguÃ, and I refine its peak direxion to ESE/WNW, i.e. it`s least at SSW/NNE, regardless of KSTP. Still going past 0231. I`m back on it just before hourtop at 0256 [oops, I should have been on 1530 for VOA SÃo TomÃ]: music continues past 0300, and seguà into blues piano and a nice peak at 0302, no ID or announcement. There are too many little 1500s in eastern USA to make any guesses without further info, like a format change. Ditto for the station putting out the ringing sounds.

Both have also been monitored by Tom Jasinski in Joliet IL, and there`s been an IRCA thread discussing the screeching a week ago,
http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&q=subject:%22\[IRCA\]+1500khz+someone+with+very+noisy+sidebands%22&o=newest&f=1
some suggesting WPSO in FL; also heard by Tim Tromp in MI, Saul Chernos in Ont, Neil Kazaross in IL/WI, Rob Keeney in SC;

And Mark Durenberger, CPBE said, ``There is a chance this is coming from Washington. The Nielsen "People-Meter" code generator has been modified to make it more "hearable" by the People Meters; some stations are pushing their audio processing to make the Nielsen signal even more apparent, in the belief that this will improve their ratings. There is weeping among the industry engineering cadre``.

But Kraig Krist near DC definitely ruled out WFED. Someones must be close enough to both of these to pin them, especially if they do the same in the daytimes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, Jan 30 at 0220-0255 UT, like last night, the double-mystery remains here, with KSTP nulled as much as possible, ringing/screeching sound coming out of some demented transmitter, and blues music coming from another, never any announcements heard, let alone ID, altho I am not listening constantly, but at 0220 UT, 0235 UT, 0255 UT chex (this time from 0258 I`m on 1530 in case Yankee Doodle makes it under WCKY from Pinheira: not) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, Jan 31 at 0116 UT, continuous blues music station still in KSTP null, and traces of the other unID emitting ringing/screeching sideband sound. Come on, widespread monitoring of these could identify them (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1811, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, Feb 4 at 0525 UT, again hearing some weak blues music with KSTP nulled as much as possible. At hourtop, 0558-0600+ UT don`t hear any announcement, just music. Replying to my previous log is Wally Leisering:

``Have you ruled out KCLF 1500, New Roads, LA? I have not heard them in GA so far.
http://kclf1500am.com/coverage.html

I love this line from their web page. "While some stations would be satisfied with this coverage, we at KCLF 1500 AM have plans to increase the stationâs broadcasting power and find ways to expand the stationâs coverage area!" (Wally Leisering, Decatur, GA, Sent from Windows Mail, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

Wally, tnx for the tip. I bet that`s it, but it would be nice if they legal-ID once in a while. Logo says ``The Voice of Pointe CoupÃe Parish``, and: ``The Best in Gospel, Blues and Zydeco``

``American Blues Network --- Showcasing best Blues talent, The American Blues Network is the oldest blues show playing down home contemporary and traditional blues! On air: Monday - Friday 9:00am - 3:00pm & 6:00pm â 6:00am``

General direxion and blues all night certainly fit; I haven`t heard any Zydeco yet. NRC AM Log had it as UC/AC, ``K-15``, 1000 D1, but a CP for U1 850/18. They`ve obviously been on at night, maybe more than 18 watts. So they went to the trouble to get a U1 license by ``reducing`` power at night. Sudden appearance may be explained by the CP going into effect, or just letting the 1 kW daytime stay on, like so many stations cheat. FCC AM Query still has the U1 info as CP, but it takes them a while to catch up when a CP is activated. CoL is New Roads LA, which is barely on the south/west bank of the Mississippi, but is the site, justifying a K-call? Also the U1 CP site has slightly different coÃrdinates than the original D1 site (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1811, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2309.0, Jan 31 at 0130 UT, S5 signal just barely modulated and drifting down slightly. Maybe this one is real rather than receiver-produced (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2716.00, Jan 28 at 0602 UT, open AM carrier fading S6-S8, so I think this is a real signal, from what? The NRD-545 generates its own birdies especially in the 2-3+ MHz area, but those are weak of constant strength, slowly varying frequency at odd spots, not right on a kHz, so they`re easy to spot and ignore; warm-up factor?

It also generates a big carrier slightly off 890, which at first I thought was a DX het on the hi side, but lately it`s been on the lo side, and confirmed as a birdie by listening on another nearby receiver, and its/it`s vanishing when I turn off the JRC. Every receiver is also a transmitter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 3360, Jan 30 at 1355, JBA carrier here during my 90m scan for new signals. Nothing listed here except in Aoki, long-defunct Upano, Ecuador. Could be MW harmonic from 1680, 1120, 840 or 560 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 3450, Jan 31 at 1155, JBA S5 AM carrier. Could be 5 x 690 or 3 x 1150 MW harmonic (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---