Re: [IRCA] ââ"Science Fiction PL-380"-- Pest Control Version

Hi Walt,

To my knowledge no one has perfected a broad band FSL that works with
anything close to the performance of a single channel, carefully peaked
version. This has often been a topic of discussion between Gary and myself.
The broad band FSL I made a few years ago in the end turned out to be FAR
below the sensitivity of a tuned FSL. This FSL used a Wellbrook FLG100
module as a matching device and amplifier. In use at home I thought it was
working well, but on a DXpedition it was sorely lacking vs. a Wellbrook
1-meter active broad band loop.

Different matching ratio transformers have been tried without much success.
A tuned FSL is like any other inductively coupled loop in that it's a
resonant circuit, and gain goes up sharply at the expense of bandwidth...
not of much use for broad spectrum SDR captures!

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA