Re: [IRCA] 3" Bar FSL Tecsun PL-380 Model-- "Heathkit-like" Construction Article

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Gary,
The version at the box link looked fine on my PC. Â(I saw your post on the ultralightdx group mentioning something was jumbled.) ÂAlso of course the mediafire version is good too on my end. ÂI'm running Chrome 47 on Windows 10 Pro. ÂI haven't tested downloading & displaying in Libre Office 5.0.2.2 yet, and I can't print from here right now due to having network communication issues between my computer and the printer. ÂMy dad's laptop running XP and MS Office does print, though, but I haven't tried reading the article from there using the much older browsers that are on that computer; nor have I tried on my laptop, which runs Lubuntu and Firefox now. Â(I'm planning to put Windows 7 or 10 Pro on it in hopefully a month or 3.)
I picked up an Eton Traveler III from Amazon recently for $38 + tax, and I just got it yesterday. ÂSo far I'm liking it for the most part, it seems to definitely be an improvement over my previous ultralights, even though it doesn't have the 1 kHz filtering. :) ÂAlso I got a Sangean SR-35 at Fry's for $20, and it seems like it could be promising, I need to do some more tests on it though. ÂA GPX R300B for $12 at Fry's does lack some sensitivity (for example 930-KHJ & 1340-KCLU which register about 17/05 on the Traveler III are right at the threshold on the GPX), but it seems to have near-DSP-like selectivity. Â(It does seem to use a wide filter, though, possibly 6 kHz, since IBOC hash is still clearly heard 20 kHz off-channel, but I can get 1110-KDIS with little to no splash from 1130-KSDO. ÂAlso there's no provision for 9 kHz or 1 kHz tuning.) ÂOTOH, a Naxa NR-921 for $10 is completely dead - even when using the SAT + utility pole (which badly overloads 760-KFMB at night on my properly-functioning Tecsuns), I still couldn't get any trace of KFMB at all on it, and FM is just as dead.
What do you think would be a good solution for a broken ferrite bar in a PL-398bt? Â(Yes I know it's not a ULR.) ÂWould a small broadband FSL be good (so long as I can make it able to survive significant frequent drops cause I am a gigantic klutz), or would a 7.5" or 12" loopstick be more appropriate, or maybe even just replacing the stock loopstick internally with something slightly better that would still fit? ÂAs it is now, it's about 70 dBÂ or so less sensitive than if it had its stock antenna.
73, Stephen