[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 11-17, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page42

 These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma
 [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by
 ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** NEWFOUNDLAND. 2598-USB, Dec 17 at 0738, YL with marine weather in English, Very poor S3, so what is scheduled at this hour? Per
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Marine-Communications/RAMN-2015/Part-2-Atlantic-Facilities-Information

it`s: ``MCTS Placentia / VCP - Broadcasts 07:37 St. Lawrence 2598J3E
Radiotelephony --- Technical marine synopsis and forecasts for marine areas 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 and 238.
Weather forecasts for marine area 213.
Ice Edge and Conditions South Coast east of Penguin Island, East Coast to Cape Freels.
Notices to Fish Harvesters (when available).``

St. Lawrence is on the Burin peninsula, west side of Placentia Bay in the extreme south end of the island, just east of St Pierre & Miquelon, FRANCE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** OKLAHOMA. 640, Dec 12 at 1348 UT, open carrier/dead air from KWPN Moore, facilitating audibility of KFI in null. Back to ESPN a few minutes later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780-, Dec 11 at 1836 UT, ABC news ending at odd time from KSPI Stillwater, 250-watt semi-local. Bandscanning in SSB on NRD-545 10-kHz steps, it`s painfully obvious which stations are off-frequency, and this one is, roughly 779.98. Even worse cases are 1070 KFTI Wichita KS and 1320 KCLI Clinton OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Dec 13 at 1254 UT, I find that WKY OKC is off the air again (or maybe severely reduced power), so I chase other DX on the frequency: see USA; UNIDENTIFIED. WKY is still AWOL at 1808 UT check; hope I can pull away to a quiet spot for some low-noon 930 DX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1600, Dec 14 around 2107 UT on caradio, during Marilu Henner talk-show, KUSH Cushing seems stronger than before --- this is about the target date for their new 5 kW transmitter CP to come on the air, ex-1 kW in daytime. But I have no way of measuring the strength or a record of what it was before. This allows KUSH to cope better with the skywave QRM, worst at topend of band, but by 2130 UT it`s losing out, and lost into the mess by 2150 UT. St Louis and The Metroplex would be the dominant signals, joined by Denver later (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1600, Dec 17 at 1531 UT check on groundwave, KUSHing is a steady S9+20 on the R75 with E/W longwire and Preamp2; noting belatedly as a reference point upon suspicion that they have quintupled power as permitted; the CP would have expired in a few weeks. At night they must remain only 70 watts, always non-direxional.

BTW, I see the new FCC website has added an ``AM Revitalization`` link to the AM Queries; for KUSH, it brings up a huge list of FM translators by frequency above 92 MHz: ``*** 309 FM Records within 403.14 km  distance [=250 miles] of 35Â 59' 13.00" N, 96Â 42' 39.00" W ***`` --- supposed to help an AM station try to pick one out to acquire?? The so-called AM Revitalization Effort is explained here:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/am-revitalization
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1650, Dec 17 at 1324 UT, dominant signal is in Spanish about Nueva York, so El Paso or Denver? Not hearing much of anything from gospel music KFSW Sallisaw lately since its conversion from KYHN, so wonder if they are really running nominal 10/1 kW U1 non-direxional? During Dec should already be on day power from 1315 UT to 2300 UT (January: 1330 UT to 2330 UT) (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. 680, Sunday Dec 13 before 0600 UT, surprised to hear a Fox Sports Radio promo, where KFEQ St Joseph MO is the usual #1 signal. Yes, FSR is among their multiple partial affiliations, per NRC AM Log 2015-2016, and own sked
http://www.680kfeq.com/program-schedule/14993309/
shows an FSR hour at 11 pm-midnight Saturdays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 700, Dec 11 at 1840 UT, very weak signal on E-W antenna, 1842 UT talk about baseball, mentions Cincinnati, so here`s WLW propagating by skywave just after local mean noon here. Not getting 720 WGN at this time, but very poor from it at 1856 UT check. Distance 1213 km = 754 miles city-to-city, or really a bit further since site is on east side of the Queen city, but definitely within Ohio. Also got WHAS: see 840 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1804, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, Dec 11 at 1835 UT, mentions Oklahoma Farm Bureau, but there is no 790 in OK; also mentions Rogers, so KURM in northwest AR is making it at midday; skywave boost? Maybe not. Best on E-W antenna, while on N-S antenna there is C&W music, so KXXX Colby KS (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Dec 11 at 1833 UT, in low-noon bandscan right at local mean 12:01 pm, Honda ad; could be KTIC in NE, but no, best on the ALA330-S antenna aimed E-W, into the NRD-545 rather than caradio this time. 1834 UT mentions ``across Kentucky`` and to clinch it, WHAS ID. Skywave at midday, distance 1092 km = 678 miles city-to-city, but radio-locator shows site is a bit east of Louisville, so even further. At least it`s definitely in KY, unlike several TV stations over the river in IN. A slight SAH maybe from KTIC. Also got WLW; see 700 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1804, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Dec 13 without WKY, at 1300 UT a .com ID, ABC news from NW/SE, so maybe KOGA Ogalalla NE, but rather another ABC affiliate I am then definitely getting from the north. 1307 UT, YL with ``headlines around the region`` ``on 930 KS--``, into classic rock; 1313 UT adstring finally with some local ones including Aberdeen Monuments, with a jingle, so it`s KSDN Aberdeen SD; 1215 YL with sports scores from SD and ND. Marred by splatter all the way from local 960 KGWA, unusual. {In this case, night pattern is more favorable for us than day pattern, tho 1 kW instead of 5} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Dec 13 without WKY, at 1328 UT, from NW/SE, plug for healthygrandcounty.org and 1329 UT Jingle Bells Rock, 1332 UT dead air as signal peaks; 1340 UT ID for KRKY, i.e. Granby CO, and that website chex out altho at first I thought they were saying Graham county. KRKY is 4500/121 watts U1, and December sunrise is not until 1415 UT (January: 1430 UT)(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, Dec 13 at 0606 UT, `Red Eye Radio` opening vs TexMex music from KKLF. Something new? Got to be KBGG Des Moines which recently diversified its schedule from sports-only.

Avoid this website which comes up in searches:
http://www.redeyeradio.com/stations.php
for it`s very outdated  2011.

Instead, this should be current:
http://www.redeyeradioshow.com/red-eye-radio-affiliates/
but it too knows of no affiliate on 1700! Geez.

KBGG website confirms it has `RER` on at 12-5 am weekdays:
http://www.1700kbgg.com/on-air-schedule/
but this is Sunday! when they also claim to be CBS Sports 24 hours a day on weekends. Whew, we lost this far-right show from KFSW OK 1650, but now on another X-bander (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

UNIDENTIFIED. With 930, WKY OKC off the air again, or greatly reduced power, what else can I get? Several weak signals in and out, some Spanish, some English, before and after sunrise.

930, Dec 13 at 1254 UT, Spanish music loops roughly SW/NE, 1259 UT fading and only get a ``9-30`` mention. Could be KAPR AZ; as we have already discovered, there aren`t any XE 930s further NW than Saltillo and Fresnillo, leaving only this and maybe KHJ Los Ãngeles. This early, I think XESHT Saltillo could still be propagating, but it`s more to the SSW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also USA for definites

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Dec 13 at 1850 UT, altho the noisy computer is on, I head to the garaged caradio to hear if anything be audible in the absence of WKY: NO. At least local device noise by sheer luck happens to land on frequencies away from 930. Then to the NRD-545 with ALA330S aimed east-west: yes, a trace of a JBA carrier, or two it seems, while nothing on the north-south NVL wire. Might be skywave at lo noon, or remnants of groundwave, the closest other 930s being:
KCCC Carlsbad NM
KRKY Granby CO
KOGA Ogallala NE
WTAD Quincy IL
KWOC Poplar Bluff MO
WSFZ Jackson MS
KDET Center TX
KLUP Terrell Hills TX
By 2100 UT, when skywave might really be kicking in, WKY is back on (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1140, Dec 14 at 1347 UT, Casper.com ad but it`s about mattresses, not Wyoming, so not necessarily the 10 kW daytimer KZMQ in Greybull (Cody address); in English, roughly east-west and soon losing out to Spanish, no doubt KLTK Arkansas. I`d like to think the casper station was NV, CA, or ID, all with very unfavorable night patterns for us, but there are a number of little stations east of Arkansas; Enid sunrise was 1335 UT today (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Dec 12 at 0111, JBA AM carrier. It`s a frequency I always check during 2 MHz bandscans along with the Canadian Coast Guards. I continue to think it`s still the second harmonic of KGLD, Tyler TX, 2 x 1330, and claim to be the only DXer who ever definitely IDed it, a couple of years ago, but now it`s never strong enough to pull anything more than traces of audio.

In case anyone else would like to try for it, I point out the official FCC sunset/sunrise times when, if they are following the rules (aside from suppressing harmonix more than this), the fundamental cut from 1000 watts day power to 77 watts night power should occur in December at 2315 UT, just before which one would expect a larger signal on the propagating harmonic (January: 2345 UT). Sunrise is 1315 UT in Dec, 1330 UT in Jan, but it also has a PSRA of 500 watts starting at 1200 UT. So far, when I hear it any time of night, it`s supposedly only a fraxion of 77 watts. Non-direxional at all times. Format is gospel music, and maybe some preaching.

So far, pickins is sparse for any other MW harmonix this winter on 2 or 3 MHz bands (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 3300, Dec 13 at 1200-1206 UT, JBA carrier, where no broadcaster is listed in HFCC, Aoki or EiBi (and I`m pretty sure it`s not British Honduras). 90m bears other carriers on the usual N Korean if not PNG spots. Of course, this could be a ute, or MWBC harmonic 2 x 1650, 3 x 1100, or 6 x 550 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---