[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 20-26, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page41

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. Hi Glenn, I couldn't help but note with interest your comments in DXLD 15-46 regarding KOKC and KQCV. In the 1970s, I served as CE for both stations, when the call signs were KOMA and KLEC. I am now in East Central Minnesota, and I've been hearing KOKC again regularly about an hour before local sunset. It's good to hear them again. I haven't heard them very often since the tornado damage. I am not sure about KOLM's directional antenna habits, since the Night pattern fires directly at me from about 140 miles away. Even with that impairment, KOKC was generally solid here at night before the loss of their tower system.

As for KQCV, I haven't heard them up here. However, when I worked there, the station was a 250 Watt Daytimer. After signoff, XEROK would usually come roaring in. It could usually be heard on the station's Air Monitor, in the background, an hour or so before signoff and also for a time after signon. There was also Pre Sunrise Authority of 38 Watts, and during that time XEROK was quite audible along with KLEC at the studio on Broadway. The transmitter was at Eastern and Reno. The interesting thing is that TWR in Bonaire would knock out XEROK very solidly for several hours each night. I don't remember the usual time pattern, but it would completely take 800, and then fade back out after a few hours. Occasionally, all 3 stations could be heard in KLEC's  Air Monitor.

Thanks for the memory jogger. I've never seen sequential references to these two stations anywhere before. Whenever I drove between the two, I used to imagine that my car was the tuning indicator on a radio dial, moving between 800 and 1520 and back again. 73, (Mike Gorniak, Braham, MN, Nov 23, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Nov 23 at 0610 UT, KGYN Guymon again is nothing but a big hum. Standard remarx (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, Sat Nov 21 at 1945 UT, OMG, it`s Rush Limbaugh on WBBZ Ponca City, ranting against ``Barack Hussein O.`` The oldies/classic rock format is gone, and now it`s NewsTalk 1230, i.e. far-right cretins occupying most of the airtime.
http://www.poncapost.com/wbbz-schedule
shows Beck/Limbaugh/Hannity/Levin/Savage on weekdays, and nothing on weekends (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1330 & 1450, Nov 21 at 1946 UT, second-order spurs from KCRC 1390 Enid not exactly 60 kHz away as they are making hets with 1330 KNSS Wichita, and the weak Okies on 1450. Much stronger first-order spurs, complete with KCRC audio, are as usual on 1360 and 1420, not exactly 30 kHz away as when further away than ~1 mile from transmitter site, via caradio at Hiram Champlin`s kite field, they too make hets against 1420 and 1360 victims in OK and KS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1390, Nov 26 at 0713 UT, still 0729 UT, and recheck 0906 UT, open carrier/dead air with some hum, from KCRC Enid, supposedly nonstop ESPN Radio; an improvement. A holiday will not be accepted as an excuse (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1560, Nov 21 at 1947 UT, W&W discussing chile recipes, so has KEBC Del City flipped format from sportstalk to femtalk? No, a few minutes later they are discussing Okie teams, and soon canned ID for ``The Franchise, 107.7 KRXO`` which I then check for // and it`s running the same ad but not synchronized. NRC AM Log has KEBC as ``The Franchise 2`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Nov 21 at 1916 UT, dead air except for perpetual hum, from KZLS Enid/Hennessey/OKC; remodulating at next check 1948 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==========

** U S A. 560, Nov 23 at 0235 UT, `NewsTalk 560, KLVI, broadcasting from the Cornerstone Advertising studios`` or something like that. Don`t often hear Beaumont TX here instead of KWTO Springfield MO, which soon fades back up. KLVI night pattern is a big tight lobe to the west and some itty bitty others, one sort of usward to the NNW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 620, Nov 26 before and after 0630 UT, Bloomberg News, via KEXB Plano/Dallas TX. Altho obviously from financial angle, it`s also good for general world news coverage, partly with a British accent not to be confused with BBCWS. Nice to be able to get this well, following the demise of that format on 1660 Kansas City. KEXB is ``Experts in Business``, ex-KMKI Mickey Disney. Web search leads to unchanged URL from 1160 station formerly with the now 620 format,
http://www.kvceradio.com/
and program schedule is along right margin or via drop-down for each day. Bloomberg is/was on sked M-F at 12-4 am & 3-4 pm CT = 06-10 & 21-22 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Nov 20 at 1857 UT on Nissan caradio in western Enid, at quiet spots between powerlines, traffic signals and plasma TV residences, WGN Chicago is quite audible with IDs, program promos, altho seems to have faded out after 1900 UT. 670 also has CCI, no doubt WSCR Chicago vs usual daytime groundwave remnant of KLTT Denver.

So we are into the low-noon midday MW DX season, scarcely a month from Solstice Dec 22; local mean noon here is always 1832 UT. Strange thing is, this affects the lo end of MW band more than hi end, as nothing on 1690 from WVON Chicago; nor anything unusual on other (literally) clear channels in a quick bandscan. However, on 1700 can be heard a JBA SAH, presumably Des Moines and Dallas (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Nov 21 at 1915 UT on the NRD-545 and ALA-300 E/W, but not on the NVLW N-S, weak talk, presumably WGN again in the daytime. Soon I drive the car surrounding the Nissan radio out to the kite field away from powerlines (but not far enough away), owned by Hiram Champlin of KCRC, and do a MW bandscan, finding no WGN audible other than a SAH, which is 3-way, tantalizing, so traces of WGN, KSAH TX, and what else? Quite a stretch, but maybe KDWN NV, 50 kW rather than smaller FL, GA stations (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[and non]. For the 3rd station on 720, how about XEJCC Ciudad JuÃrez? 73 (Tim, Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone, Hall, ABDX via DXLD)

Tim, Yes, of course. I was glancing at the NRC Pattern Book for ideas, and XEJCC is missing from it. I have now written it in, altho I have no idea what its pattern may be. 73, (Glenn to Tim, ibid.)

** U S A. 750, Nov 19 at 1258 UT, ``UnivisiÃn AmÃrica 750 AM, una estaciÃn euforia[?]``, i.e. KAMA El Paso TX. Also in nightmiddle sometimes QRMs WSB when it should not, but situation not as bad as it was earlier this year (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Re the slogan heard on KAMA-750 and KLSQ 870: Raymie Humbert, PhÅnix AZ, replies Nov 19 on the WTFDA Forum, ``Uforia is the name of UnivisiÃn's radio division`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re the unID Spanish on 930 other than WKY, clockwise from it, Raymie Humbert, PhÅnix AZ, replies Nov 19 on the WTFDA Forum, indicating that KAPR Douglas AZ is indeed Spanish now:

``And for what it's worth, Alex Lucas's El Genio Lucas show is listed as airing on KAPR 930 AM and I saw one reference to "Radio Cobre 930 AM". It's 71 watts night, though. KAPR appears to be co-owned with KDAP-FM by Howard Henderson, based on FCC applications. Henderson bought KAPR in 2012 from KVOI. Henderson also appears to be battling leukemia based on the information on the KDAP Facebook page â and he's not doing well at all, it seems`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

KAPR has been Spanish for years, and I heard them running the Alex Lucas show on my recordings from the Border Inn beverage site in September. In their IDs they pronounce their city of license as "DOOG-las" 73 (Tim Hall, CA, ABDX via DXLD)

** U S A. 1050, Nov 24 at 0711 UT, with XEG easily nulled, sounds like `Red Eye Radio`, and quickly confirmed as such by hearing the same anti-American rant some 30 seconds later on flagship 820 WBAP. I bet it`s Albuquerque NM. Yes: only 1050 affiliate listed at
http://www.redeyeradioshow.com/red-eye-radio-affiliates/
is KTBL, 1/1 kW, the substation to 770 50/50 kW KKOB & 230-watt KKOB Santa Fe, which *also* carry RER overnight, altho the entire schedules are not duplicated; why? Just can`t come up with anything better? Or to increase RER ratings in the market? Or rather, not to *decrease* the ratings on KKOB by self-competition (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, Nov 21 at 1329 UT, program preview of several gospel huxters in English coming up on WNQM Nashville TN, mixing with presumed KAKC Tulsa, as skywave from east hasn`t yet faded out, and 50 kW ND helps (WLW 700 is also louder and clearer). WNQM is on the growing roster of former WORLD OF RADIO affiliates. So their evening relay of WMDB 880 La Ranchera in Spanish is over by now, but does anyone know exactly what the hours for that are? Lotsa luck finding any specific info on the WNQM or WMDB websites. It`s certainly unneeded after sunrise, when 880 regains a decent daytime signal.

WNQM programming between 13 and 24 UT might also radiate on 9980 plus and minus 1300, like the #4 SW transmitter does from 7520 at 00-03 weeknites on 6220, 8820. That is, seek it on 8680 and 11280 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, Nov 25 at 0730 UT, weather mentions Quad Cities, so it`s WOC Davenport IA, briefly overcoming CCI including local KCRC 1390 spur. 5 kW day and night patterns go NE and WSW, so good enough (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---