Hello Guy,

<<<ÂÂ We and others like Gary have assumed that Rockworks #2 is easily the
preferred DXing site for chasing TPs due to the less-obstructed horizon to
the northwest. Well, I measured a number of high, mid, and low-band TP
stations for signal-to-noise ratios on my 1428-1430 UTC HDSDR recording
(Rockworks #2) and compared them to the same time & stations captured on
Dave's recording (Rockworks #4). Surprise! TP/Asian reception from
Rockworks #4 was anywhere from 8 dB to *20* dB *better* from the Rockworks
#4 turnout! Remember, we were using very similar 1-m. active Wellbrook
loops, so it's reasonable to conclude that the unique topography of the two
turnouts on the highway accounts for the differences.ÂÂ >>>

Very interesting information, Guy, and thanks for the relative site testing by your group.

My own Asian TP-DXing experience at Rockwork 4 is very limited-- I had a moderately successful DXpedition in November of 2012, but got hammered by severe weather on all three days (freezing cold the first day, gale force winds the second and thunderous rain on the third). All my DXpedition gear was completely toast byÂ1500 UTC on the third day (8" FSL, modified ICF-2010, modified PL-380 and modified CC SWP).

In the beginning yearsÂ(2011-2012) the ocean cliff DXpeditions had a very wild and wacky reputation, probably making the Perseus-SDR DXers aghast that anyone could be so foolhardy as to set up there. But now the Rockwork turnoffs are so popular that ODOT may be tempted to sell time shares in the summer, in order to balance their budget.

73,ÂGary

ÂÂÂ