[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, and NM, September 25-October 1, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or N-S random wire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page38

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 740, Sept 28 at 0546 UT, nostalgic song, 0549 UT ``Zoomer Radio`` ID, ``Natural Woman``. Overcomes KRMG Tulsa at one tenth the distance and one half the power, especially when angling away from it, tho still picking up some LAH from Mexico off the back. CFZM Toronto, via CBL (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Sept 25 before and after 1900 UT, no break for ID or any announcement from the Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa station known to FCC as KETU, but last heard IDing many months ago with its former call KEOR. I continue to check this sporadically in daytime mostly on caradio, with sufficient signal, but still NEVER hear any announcements whatsoever, let alone commercials or IDs, just continuous Mexican music. I have yet to dedicate 60+ minutes to constant listening, however to be absolutely sure it is anything but a jukebox, earning nothing while gulping electrical fluid and occupying bandwidth (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Sept 26 from a few minutes before 1900 UT until 2001+ UT I am listening on headphones to KETU/KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa as accompaniment to my nap. It`s noisy with computers and TVs running around, but tolerable. Continues to be all-music, a variety of instrumental styles, and lots of songs with lyrix --- I am dozing but not deeply and think I would have come to immediately if there had ever been a spoken announcement. Someone is programming this, as it`s not just cut after cut from the same albums, no pauses either. And so it goes. All music, all the time, and they really would mean it (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1270, Sat Sept 26 at 2309 I am checking KTUZ Claremore/Tulsa again, after having heard it a few days ago with a game in English, which I figured was an aberration, pre-emption of normal Spanish format. But now it is still in English with sports-talk, and running 15 seconds ahead of originator KRXO 107.7 OKC, ``The Franchise``, apparently following OSU FB game at UT Austin. I don`t care who won! At 2357 ID for KRXO/HD etc., The Franchise, not for KTUZ 1270 which possibly inserted a legal ID a bit later, but not heard. Tyler Media dominates the OKC Spanish TV & radio market, but also has English stations, and as the name implies, I think is O&O by Anglos.

1270 rechecked at 2351 UT Sept 26, now it`s Spanish, but wait --- from the south/SSE, not ESE. Game in Lubbock is at third quarter, but also talking about OSU at UT Austin. So this one has faded in from Benbrook, KFLC, 50/5 kW with address in Dallas, format Spanish talk, Univisión América. By nulling KFLC I can still hear KTUZ in English. They are making a slow SAH circa 1 Hz, but as I start to count it a third station gets in the way. Two of them anyway make SAH of 2.5 Hz. At 2358 UT as I have rotated the PL-880 back toward KFLC, adstring in Spanish, including Aflac, Charter Spectrum; 0000 UT Sept 27 Rosetta Stone, but no ID across hourtop before back to game talk.

1270, Sept 26 at 2356, another English station fades in with Royals baseball; only can be KSCB Liberal KS per affiliate list/map at
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/downloads/y2015/2015_radio_affiliate_map.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A. 760, Sept 25 at 1226 UT as I am trying to ID the nostalgic music, maybe from Mexico [see UNID log], 6 kW KCCV Overland Park KS is in ascendance, closing `Turning Point` program with San Diego address (not KFMB!), own ID for 760, 92.3 and new 101.5; ad for Hillsdale College (which is in Michigan, Baptist). NRC AM Log does not show any FM // for KCCV, nor for WJR, nor for KMTL in AR. 92.3 however matches in the WTFDA database as KCCV-FM Olathe KS; and the 101.5 to K268CF in Kansas City MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

760, Sept 27 at *1200 UT, KCCV Overland Park KS pops onto day power of 6 kW, no ID but Bott Network, and gospel-huxter show with guest short hoary wacko OK Sen. Inhofe to refute a pope about climate change. I had hoped to hear the XE already, which the last two mornings was playing nostalgic/American big band music. 1200 UT is the Sept official KCCV sunrise; Oct: *1230 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 25 at 1229 UT, plug for an event in Washington County Community Center, loops E-W, 1230 UT KLRG ID, i.e. Sheridan in central AR; while Wash. Co. is the NW corner circa Fayetteville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 29 at 1927 UT on caradio parked at a quiet location in western Enid, I`m getting not only KRVN Lexington NE, usual daytime signal here, but a second weaker station, also a talker, and in English. Try as I can, no clues pulloutable under KRVN. No DFing on that radio, so go next to the ALA-330S oriented east/west by the NRD-545 and compare signal that way to the N-S random wire.

KRVN is much stronger on the latter, but unID gains nothing by nulling KRVN to E-W, so DF rules out KLRG Sheridan AR, which tho 50 KW ND in daytime, is not known to make it here across inferior Ozarkian ground conductivity. Still cannot pull an ID across 2000 UT hourtop as KRVN goes to Fox ``news``. Then I check the archive and the listings. NRC Pattern Book shows only one other obvious possibility:

Conroe TX, 10/1 kW U4, which is now KJOZ. When we logged it last March not in the daytime, it was confirmed to be Spanish religion. NRC AM Log 2015 still has it as such, ``Radio Aleluya``, address in Pasadena. However, Terry Krueger, FL, logged it in August, apparently in English. Searching for presumably current website, we find:
http://kjozradio.com/
where it`s branded ``Progressive Talk, News, Sports and More`` with an address in Houston. Here`s its lofty lema:
http://kjozradio.com/what-is-kjoz-880-am/

Program schedule for weekdays only,
http://kjozradio.com/show-schedule/
shows 12-2 pm, `Point of View with Carmen Watkins`; 2-5 pm, `Classic R&B Drive Music Mix`. That`s 17-19 & 19-22 UT. Well, I wasn`t hearing any R&B around 1930-2000, just talk, much of it feminine.

A concise history of 880`s multiple owners and formats is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJOZ
concluding with ``As of April 13, 2015, KJOZ has permanently dropped Spanish Christian programming and relaunched as a progressive talk station with the slogan "Where diversity finds its voice."``

U4 means directional, different patterns day and night. NRC PB of 7/15/2013 shows day pattern is almost circular but a bit lopsided favoring the north, which is helpful for us.

That certainly makes sense for Houston area via groundwave to here, the station with the best chance to reach us, if only it weren`t for KRVN. Radio-locator shows site is about halfway between Houston and Huntsville to the north, i.e. Conroe. City-to-city distance 714 km = 443 statute miles over good conductivity.

However, it`s odd that I don`t recall hearing such an understation to KRVN before here at full day, only an hour to one sesquihour after local mean noon. Has something changed? KRVN 50/50 kW is ND day, westward at night away from WCBS. Distance to Enid is 514 km = 320 miles over some of the best ground-conductivity on the continent, producing a fully readable if not very strong signal.

FCC Query shows that KJOZ does have an APP, but not a CP, to move to Baytown and *reduce* daytime power to 5 kW (but apparently cover all-important Houston better). That pattern would have a huge lobe to the NNW, right toward us and KRVN too!

We would surely be getting 50 kW 740 Houston if not for 50 kW KRMG Tulsa and KTRH nulling toward OK, throwing most of its day and night signals to the southwest; 610 and 790 are direxional south; 650 is a pennywhistle 250 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1793, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 30 at 1458 UT on the NRD-545, KRVN NE with a 260/minute SAH or 4.33 Hz. Yesterday afternoon during presumed KJOZ TX log, I did not note a significant SAH with KRVN, so beat this time may be something else, such as remnant of KHAC skywave? Probably, as at 1510 UT I no longer hear the SAH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Sept 25 at 0602 UT, KCKN Roswell NM ID missed but multi-station ID in progress for Mount Kisco and many others including ``530 Caicos, British West Indies``, i.e. Radiovisión Cristiana, originating in NYC at WWRV-1330; overpowering near-local 1020, KOKP Perry OK, still making a SAH with it as 50/50 kW U4 KCKN continues to ignore its requirement to protect KDKA if not KOKP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX Listening Digest)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 26 at 0148 UT, ranchera music, WSW/ENE, 0151 UT segué romantic tune, 0154 UT another segué and I can`t hang around for any ToH ID. No LAH, and not XERDO from the south, whence we do get a weak LAH. No Mexicans fit direxion, so presume it be KXPL El Paso TX, which is *so* Mexican that Cantú pulled it across the frontera for his list last Feb before he vanished it, as a 10 kW daytimer, ``RADIO NET 1060``. This year`s NRC AM Log denominates it ``Radio El Paso-Juárez, con su música``. BUT --- official FCC September sunset for KXPL is: 0115 UT (October: 0030 UT). NRC says it does have a 500-w PSRA allowing it to start at 6 am local when that is before official sunrise (Sept: 1245 UT; Oct: 1315 UT). Anyhow, glad that KIJN is kaput, no longer in the way (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, Sept 28 at 1309 UT, Spanish ad from AC 479, easily over groundwave KRMP OKC, but starting to fade half a sesquihour after sunrise here, i.e. KLTK Centerton AR, address in Rogers, 5 kW ND daytimer, the station named after a supermarket, ``Radio Las Américas`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1260, Sept 28 at 1255 UT, ID for 104.1 KSGF, Springfield`s News-Talk, from MO; 5/5 kW, day pattern is ND, but at night it`s all to the south. What do you know, this FM is not a mere translator but a genuine 19 kW station, however, licensed to Ash Grove, which is about 15 miles to the WNW, an afterthought? Official FCC September sunrise is 1200 UT; October, 1215 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---