[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 4-10, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or N-S random wire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page38

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2749.08-USB, Sept 4 at 0057, marine weather in French but English accent, S6. Scheduled now is VCO in Sydney NS from 0040 per http://www.dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm which does not remark which languages it emits.

BTW, also listed on 2749 at 2317 and other times is
VCN QC Riviere au Renard                 47 21 26, -61 55 36 EE/FF.
Compare this to my recent log on 2598 of
CJH-22 QC Natashquan (Riviere au Renard) 50 08 40, -61 48 00 EE/FF.

That apparently means N is relaying R-au-R, as their coordinates are quite divergent and exactly the same broadcast times are shown for both of them. However, the first set of coordinates are approx. the Magdalen Islands, while R-au-R is really at the eastern end of the Gaspé Peninsula (just north of Percé), roughly 49 N, 64 W. The two places are on opposite sides of Anticosti Island at a distance of 228 km = 141 statute miles = 123 nautical miles (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. [Re 2749-USB with marine weather from Rivière-au-Renard, Gaspé, QC at 2317 and other times, http://www.dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm
reference, with contradictory coördinates]:

All stations broadcast in the international IMO MSI language of English unless otherwise stated. Like many MF/HF stations around the world, Riviere au Renard Coast Guard Radio broadcasts from 2 remote MF sites located quite a distance from the "studio". The main MF broadcast site is VCN Grindstone, Magdalen Islands, the secondary site is CJH22 Natashquan. MF broadcasts have not been made from Riviere au Renard itself for a number of years now (those broadcasts were on 2582 kHz and included Quebec and Montreal on that network). I haven't updated the Canadian MF broadcast page for a while but will update it soon (Bill Hepburn, Ont., DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Sept 5 at 1159 UT, open carrier until KSPI Stillwater sign-on, doesn`t mention power is only 250 watts; still with some LAH from XE-land. So this daytimer signs on at 7 am local at least on Saturday; official Stillwater Sept sunrise is {1215 UT; not known to have a PSRA} --- to be filled in once the FCC site be back in business Sept 8, as other AM/FM logs until then also may be subject to modification (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 910, Sept 5 at 0147 UT, song and YL ID ``You`re listening to KVIS, The King`s Vision, 9-10 AM``, and another hymn. So that`s what the call letters stand for: I had not paid much attention to this gospel huxter, but this was relatively painless right after tune-in; and the slogan is no news to the NRC AM Log this year nor last year, and probably long before then; 1/1 kW U3. I can remember when it was KGLC, no idea derivation for that; now CoL remains Miamuh, but address in Grove OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, circa 1800 UT Sept 4 on BFO-less caradio, seems KETU/KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa carrier is on but dead air. Next check at 0144 UT Sept 5, yes, OC only, making usual ~6 Hz beat with KMOX airing what else, Cards BB. Need I remind them/you that KETU/KEOR is supposed to be a daytimer (and supposed to modulate)? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Sat Sept 5 at 1218 UT, ``Better Horse Radio`` is the animalist show on KGYN Guymon, right into an ad for Ford, which one would think a conflict of interest, purveying horseless carriages (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1270, UT Sat Sept 5 at 0141 UT, dominant signal from E/W with HS silly football game entirely in English, Seminole vs Harrah, so obviously Oklahoma, therefore KTUZ Claremore/Tulsa, which is normally Spanish! It`s halftime with ID as ``The Franchise, Game of the Week, powered by Homeland`` [a grocery market which closed in Enid several years ago, and lately all its Tulsa stores, and most of its OKC ones --- was it because of doubling all those $1 coupons??].

The Franchise is the monicker of 107.7 KRXO OKC, another Tyler Media station, and sure `nuff, same programming there but 15 seconds delayed after 1270 in a further market. KTUZ is 5/1 kW U4, so also audible at night, but not this well, so presumably has illegally stayed on day power and pattern for HSFB. This should make Kevin Redding of ABDX happy, where a CME for HSFB is currently underway. I bandscan the entire MW and note a few other unusually strong night signals with local HSFB, but nothing new; see USA 790 and 690 logs anyway. I can almost null KTUZ on the DX-398 to get something on 1270 in C&W from N/S (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 650, Sept 10 at 0601 UT, CBS news Update until 0602 UT on WSM Nashville, then national weather summary. Such a network strikes me as odd, but has been that way for a while as in NRC AM Logs 2015 and 2014. WSM was originally NBC for decades; it would be interesting to know the start and stop dates for news network affiliations of major stations like this (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, Sept 5 at 0155 UT, HSFB, Pittsburg vs. ??, lo-fi audio really breaking up, cell phone? Then recovers but still lo-fi. Obviously KGGF Coffeyville KS, 10/5 kW U4. Not sure if this is cheating for Friday night football, as normally heard anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Sept 5 at 1200 UT, KDWN Las Vegas [NV] ID, ``a Beasley Group radio station``, into ABC news. Slow SAH from some Spanish music. Whenever I hear KDWN during local nighttime I suspect may be on ND day pattern, since at night it`s a deep cardioid null toward WGN; but that path traverses UT, CO, NE and IA, so further to the south, a little of the 50 kW could be leaking into OK. Today`s Enid sunrise: 1206 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1790, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, Sept 5 at 0152 UT, HSFB from E/W, the Mounties (from where?) vs the Siloam Springs Panthers, fourth quarter coming up; so it`s KURM, Rogers AR, 5/0.5 kW U2. Not especially strong, and may not be cheating: night pattern already aims west protecting Memphis (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Sept 5 at 1202 UT, after definitely hearing 720 KDWN, I look for the other Las Vegas NV 50 kW, to find CBS News in progress, looping E/W, and indeed // KRLD 1080 but several seconds out of synch. 840 cuts away at 1203 UT for paid program `Health Line`. KXNT is a CBS-owned station, but the shame of dumping out of its own network news is obscured on the program sked
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/kxnt-programming-schedule/
which doesn`t even show news on the hour at all! But Sat 5-6 am [PDT = 12-13 UT], a generic ``Vitamin Show``.

Revealing how secondary CBS considers AM, the sked page is headed ``KXNT Programming (Including Rush Limbaugh) is Now on 840 AM --- NewsRadio 100.5 KXNT Program Schedule`` --- ``now``, as if it weren`t before? (It also beats me how CBS can be denigrated as ``lame-stream`` or ``liberal`` when so many of its own radio stations broadcast the ilk of Rush. And makes one wonder how CBS TV News can be trusted.)

Getting 50/25 kW KXNT 840, *North* Las Vegas here a sesquimegameter away is even more remarkable than KDWN 720: NRC Pattern Book shows both day and night there is a major lobe to the SSW, and a lesser lobe to the north, with itty bitty lobes to the east and west. Would you believe ND? I have heard it some times before. In the analog era, it used to be easier to get LVNV TV stations here on ch 2, 3, 5, than radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1790, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, Sept 5 at 1204 UT, CBS News mixing with `El Condor Pasa` from some Mexican if not Peruvian, the former being groundwave KKOW Pittsburg KS. By 1221 UT, KKOW is in dead air. Who wants to go to work at a radio station early on a weekend? Let the automation undo it! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, Sept 5 at 0148 UT, norteña music with WLS nulled --- or rather, I have to null this to barely hear WLS (tho 780, 720 and 670 are unimpeded). Not what you would expect from the 200 kW R. Progreso, Cuba; and indeed not // Spanish on 900 (see MEXICO), while looping N/S, so this 890 is KVOZ, Del Mar Hills TX, 10/1 kW U2. I further confirm this by comparing to 1210, where sibling station // KUBR San Juan TX can barely be made out as // music, presumably gospel, with 1210 KGYN Guymon OK nulled as much as possible, as it`s still aiming for Philadelphia (well, really, 10 kW ND day and night). Furthermore, 890 Spanish mentions ``Laredo`` at 0151 UT, which is really the metro for Del Mar Hills. Both of them are to be addressed in McAllen (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Sept 4 at 1215 UT, nostalgic music, ID for KSGL, time 7:15. Lately this 250/28 watt Wichita KS groundwave station has been coming in better than before, also frequently on the daytime caradio. Its pattern supposedly shoots tightly east-west, not good for here to the SSW, making me wonder if it`s on ND STA? Has a double-split format of NOS and REL. A few months ago I was hearing it less well and wondered if there was a problem; but then was probably correctly direxional (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, Sept 5 at 1223 UT, ad for a feed store in Monett, and something in Aurora. So it`s KSWM, 1000/25 watts in Aurora MO, which are between Joplin and Springfield in SW MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 950, Sept 7 at 0240 UT, ranchera music from E/W, tentative KDCE ID in English. That`s the hybrid station in Española NM, 4600/80 watts U1, ``Que Dice``, and this would be after sunset (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 950, Sept 7 at 0617 UT, ad for Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg, Okt 2-4, so obviously one of the two Texans; partial ID then for ``AM 950 --- Mix 102 --- sports``. According to the NRC AM Log and the WTFDA FM Database, the FM of KJTV 950 Lubbock is 100.7, K264AN, and there is no ``Mix 102`` known in Lubbock. But KJTV is news/talk/sports, while KPRC 950 Houston lacks the sports. No FM listed for it, but how can a major AM station do without one any more? KPRC website http://www.kprcradio.com/main.html shows nothing but AM 950! No Mix 102 in WTFDA for anystation in Texas. The Mix monicker normally refers to music styles, not talk. Both KPRC and KJTV are supposedly direxional SW at night, not good for us, KPRC with 5 kW, KJTV with 500 watts. It`s hard to DF this as I have to keep local 960 KGWA nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 990, Sept 5 at 1224 UT, ``KRMO weather on AM 990``, 1225 UT  into C&W, fair, no CCI. CoL is Cassville, which is S of Monett toward AR, but address in Monett, like KSWM 940. KRMO is 2500/47 watts U1 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 5 at 1227 UT, nostalgic music, ENE/WSW, 1229 UT fade for YL DJ; 1230 UT OM news about Springfield and Missouri; 1231 UT, ``Ozarx News Network``, automated TC for ``7:30 at KBFL``, back to YL DJ with weather. Is 470/19 watts U1 in Springfield MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Sept 7 at 0622 UT, promo for `Red Eye Radio` on WAPI 1070 and wapi.com. Nulling off-frequency 1 kW KFTI Wichita is not hard at night, and I was expecting KNX; WAPI, 50/5 kW, Birmingham AL is certainly unusual here. Night pattern is slightly CCW from southward; day pattern non-direxional which I suspect, on 5 if not 50 kW. Not only am I nulling KFTI but conveniently most of the 1067 IBOC from KRLD (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1080, Sept 9 at 0625 UT, KRLD has unusual QRM from a music station, making fast SAH, maybe 15 Hz or so. Somewhat nullable, but too close to opposite. Tried to get ID at 0659 UT Sept 9, but music station had lost out to KRLD. I was also hearing this the night before. Fortunately, Steve Zimmerman in Milwaukee notified me with the identity:

``MINNESOTA. 1080, KYMN, Sept. 5 0450-0505z. Wide-ranging music format, e.g. Jazz, Blues Oldies; an enjoyable listen. Listed on FCCInfo as 1000 watts day, 10 watts night, ND. Clear ID at 0500: "KYMN Northfield." Signal peaked at 43444. Also heard Sept. 9 0430-0445z with music; solid ID at 0435. Signal: 33443. Most likely on daytime power; interesting format. Steve Zimmerman, Milwaukee, WI. Rxs: ICF 5900W and Stewart-Warner 62TC16`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1790, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Sept 9 at 0637 UT, `Red Eye Radio` roughly N/S, unusual, mutually nullable with Brother Scare from KAAY Little Rock to the east with 4 Hz SAH in between. Confirmed show by comparing to 820 WBAP originator of RER, but WBAP is running way *behind* the affiliate. RER website knows of not a single one on 1090:
http://www.redeyeradioshow.com/red-eye-radio-affiliates/
But the new NRC AM Log does: KTGO, Tioga ND, 1100/6 watts U1 = non-direxional, so likely on day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1790, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, Sept 5 at 1212 UT, Qur`an musical recitations interspersed with verses translated into spoken English --- something you never hear on SW; why not sing the English too? What little I hear smax of KJV archaic verbiage. Must be matins, stopping at 1215 UT just as it`s fading, having produced a slow SAH with KFAB NE. This is, of course, 50 kW daytimer KVTT Mineral Wells = The Metroplex TX, ``Bringing the Community Together`` per NRC AM Log 2015-2016; a.k.a. ``The Moslems Are Coming!`` or rather, ``They`re already here among us!!`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, Sept 8 at 0620 UT, ME music, making 216/minute or 2.6 Hz SAH with KFAB; no doubt still 50 kW daytimer KVTT TX. It was being heard a few hours earlier by ABDXers as far away as SC and FL. Major lobe of its `day` pattern is broadly to the SE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, Sept 4 at 1228 UT, no KMOX, but with KETU/KEOR nulled, ``spread the word, in Austin for Christian talk, it`s 11-20, the Bris`` --- that can`t be right, no it`s ``The Bridge``, 5600/155 watt KTXW Manor TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Sept 5 at 1216 UT, open carrier/dead air, obviously KLEY Wellington KS, 250/1 watt, still so at 1232 UT making fast SAH with ``The Tiger`` KWKH Shreveport also audible and mostly mutually nullable (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, Sept 5 at 1234 UT, Mexican music, very poor looping N/S, and a fast SAH with algo, KSL? KFAQ 1170 Tulsa IBOC is not so bad, and at least at a right angle. Must be KRDY San Antonio, Spanish religious as a Radio Luz, 10/1 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Sept 5 at 1236 UT, ``103-3 The Mix`` non-ID, Elton John song, ``Rocket Man``; 1241 UT KSOK news promo, ``KSOK on the way``, ``Cowley County`s station for classic hits, 103-3 The Mix``; 1242 UT, ``Hey, Jude``.

Apparently something new, as KSOK-FM is listed on 95.9 (and I recently reported it). WTFDA FM Database shows the 103.3 in Arkansas City KS is merely a 250-watt translator, K277CK, repeating KARF, wherever that is, and no further details. (Looking up KARF separately, it`s 91.5 in Independence KS, a 100-kW vertical-only Bott network gospel huxter.) Now KSOK [AM] has acquired that translator to become a ``real`` FM station, while the really real KSOK-FM, in nearby Winfield, if it still exist on 95.9, must be separately programmed. Website http://ksokfm.com includes:
``You can now listen to the Home of the Good Guys - Click on the links below to hear our LIVE STREAMS!
KSOK FM 95.9 - Home of the Good Guys
Mixx 103.3 - Cowley's Hometown Classic Hits``
But separately brands 1280 AM as ``Country Classics``

This could be even further confusing, as WTFDA also lists a full-power Kansan on 103.3 with almost the same name! ``KJLS 103.3 HAYS KS 100.0 303.0 39.0115 99.2812 28F4 MIX103FM Top 40 MIX 103 HOT AC``. Hays is in central KS, nowhere near Ark City. But for this log I was listening only to 1280 which is certainly KSOK Ark City. Cowley is not only the name of the county, but of the broadcast company. BTW, this Arkansas is fully pronounced ``Ar-Kansas``, not like that other state over there, ``Ar-kan-saw`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, Sept 5 at 1244 UT, weak signal from algo, not from the NW, as 5 kW KGNO Dodge City KS continues to be unheard on numerous occasional chex, day and night and in-between, via caradio or homeradios. Must be silent, but still in the new NRC AM Log as if extant. It should be on the FCC Silent list by now (takes only 2 months to qualify, IIRC), but I bet it isn`t, once we get a chance to check it again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Sept 5 at 1246 UT, ``The Gateway City`s one and only Golden Oldies radio station``, sung: ``KZQZ``. I.e. 50/5 kW in Saint Louis MO. 2015 NRC AM Log shows slogan as ``Cool Oldies`` which maybe also still applies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 760, Sept 5 at 1926 UT, 6 kW KCCV Overland Park KS, usual daytime groundwave occupant of this frequency, also has a SAH from an understation at the rate of 216 beats per minute = 3.6 Hz; on the NRD-545 and the ALA-330S magnetic loop antenna favoring east-west. KCCV`s pattern is a figure-8 with one lobe toward Enid. The nearest other 760 is 10 kW KMTL Sherwood, mid-Arkansas, but ground conductivity is poor over that path. WJR Detroit remnant skywave? Other 760s, 50 kW each in Denver and San Antonio, both supposedly have nulls toward us. See also 1210 unID log. The extensive MW Offsets list
http://www.myradiobase.de/mediumwave/mwoffset.txt
again proves no help, as KCCV is not included; WJR was 3.7 Hz low in 2014; KKZN CO, 3.0 Hz low in 2013. Neither DXLD nor Hauser are in the long list of credits/sources (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1210, Sept 5 at 1922 UT, KGYN Guymon OK is always audible at the edge of its daytime groundwave, but on the ALA-330S and NRD-545 I am also getting an understation making a SAH of 2.4 Hz, and traces of otheraudio; also the SAH level fades up and down a bit. There are no other 1210s anywhere near here, so less than an hour after local mean noon at 1832 UT (and it`s still summer with relatively high sun), is this some residual skywave, or groundwave? The nearest 1210s are in WY, SD, IL, TN, LA. Only 10 kW KHAT Laramie WY and 10 kW WLRO Denham Springs LA are ND. I`d lean toward Laramie; 650 KGAB WY has made it here in the daytime. FWIW, MW Offsets list showed KGYN 0.6 Hz high in 2007y, while KHAT was 2 Hz hi in the same year; see also unID 760 log (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---