Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] DKAZ Antenna

My limited experience at Grayland says that it was somewhat like the variable termination on the Flag, Chuck, which we discussed once before. That is, a better null could be obtained at, say +/- 45 degrees from the null at 180 degrees (i.e.off the back) by adjusting the termination, but at the expense of the null directly off the back. With the DKaz the variation in termination value is not so wide however, nor can decent nulls be obtained a long way from 180 degrees as they can with the Flag.

In EZNEC, I believe that if you look at the vertical polarization plot, it shows some nulls not collinear with the antenna when the termination is adjusted slightly, but in real life, to best null mid band Seattle and Portland stations at Grayland, the optimum termination needed to be lowered by up to a couple of hundred ohms if my notes are correct.

I wonder if Mark Durenberger has some information to add? I don't think the spread that he had in termination values was so large as what I observed.

More research is needed.  More vacation time too.

best wishes,

Nick

At 04:47 20-08-15, you wrote:
Nick -
Are you saying the DKAZ null can actually be steered? If so, how much?Or are you saying that deepening the null at 180 degrees means that the null at other angles near 180 benefit from the deeper 180 null? (Assumedly the latter. I've not been able to steer a DKAZ null, only improve it a bit.)
Chuck