[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, July 26-30, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page36

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,
 unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 530, July 29 at 0143 UT, instead of NWS KTA HAR or Enciclopedia, I`m getting mix of my two 1 kW locals, KCRC 1390 and KGWA 960, i.e. a leapfrog of 1390 over 960 another 430 kHz lower. Backing off RF gain, this doesn`t go away, so I hope it`s really some external mixing, not produced internally by the NRD-545. I don`t hear this on other receivers, except the caradio with some powerline beveraging near Vance AFB when I was checking for their now defunct TIS on 530. These stations are a few miles apart at separate sites.

Unrelated, but my nearby streetlite ignites with wideband RF noise *0149:45-0149:55 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, July 27 at 0134 UT, open carrier/dead air from daytimer KSPI Stillwater, even tho official July sunset is not until 0145 UT, by when it`s off completely. August: 0115* UT (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1050, July 28 at 1320 UT, the two weak Okies produce little modulation but a SAH close to 6 Hz between them. A bihour after sunrise here (1135 UT), XEG should be all gone, and these are still beating at 1351 UT recheck; we get a little more groundwave signal from 1 kW ND KGTO Tulsa than from somewhat further 250-watt KXCA Lawton at 127 miles which beams away from Tulsa. One of them is slightly on the lo side of 1050 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Doug Smith replies to some comments in my previous report about 1120, KETU/KEOR:

Facility IDs were created in 2000 when the FCC created the CDBS
database. For any station 15 years old or more, there really isn't any
connection between facility ID and age. Facility IDs 1 through 4 are:

1    WRCT    88.3 Pittsburgh        4/?/74
2    KFMZ    1470 Brookfield MO    2/14/56
3    WCLG    1300 Morgantown WV    12/?/54
4    KIXW    960  Apple Valley CA   6/5/54
(sign-on dates per 1988 Broadcasting Yearbook)

> Even so, aren`t stations required to maintain a Public File somewhere in the Community of License (Catoosa OK)??? Also unfound in local phone directories under either call.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2012/octqtr/pdf/47cfr73.3526.pdf

For commercial radio stations, a hard copy of the public file must be
maintained at the station's main studio (the rules are different for
TV and for non-commercial radio),

The main studio might not be in the city of license (see below). If it
isn't, the station must be prepared to mail photocopies of documents in the file or a copy of the FCC document "The Public and Broadcasting" to any person within the station's service area who asks (but not DXers. Sorry :) )

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2012/octqtr/pdf/47cfr73.1125.pdf

The station's main studio may be located:
- In the community of license;
- Within the principal community contour of any other radio or TV
station licensed to the same community;
- Within 25 miles of the center of the community of license.

KZLI-1570 is also licensed to Catoosa, so the KETU main studio could be anywhere within the 5mV/m ("principal community contour") signal area of either KETU or KZLI.

The "address of record" for KETU is Box 68, Atoka 74525. Of course,
that's a post office & not a studio location.

Yellowpages.com has a listing for "KEOR" at the same address as KHKC
102.1 (351 East Highway 3, Atoka 74525). Knowing how long it takes the
Yellow Pages to update business listings, I would not bet that AM 1120
is still there. Google Street View shows a FM tower near this address.
There isn't any kind of sign though.

BTW, the call letters in CDBS are in fact KETU.
== (Doug Smith W9WI, Pleasant View, TN  EM66 NRC-AM via DXLD)

** OKLAHOMA. 1300, July 28 at 1324 UT, ``total traffic on The Buzz``, familiar Tulsa streets at rush-hour. Trouble is, ``The Buzz`` is KTBZ 1430, and this is KAKC 1300. Could be confusing, but they are sibling stations so such crossovers allowed; unless they have swapped slogans, I doubt (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 540, July 29 at 0606 UT, roughly E/W, local weather but no identifying details caught until area code 318 number, back to ``Coast to Coast AM on Talk 540``. So it`s KMLB, Monroe LA, listed 4000 watts day, 26 watts night, always non-direxional. Quite rare here, so really 26 watts?

Shares with XEWA rock music to the south, but aiming E/W, still NO sign of XETX, La Ranchera de Paquimé, per IRCA Mexican Log, 700 watts at night from Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua near the border, which used to dominate 540. Could someone in the Gadsden Purchase confirm whether XETX is gone for good, to FM only? That would be 90.5 per Cantú who had it as only 250 watts night on 540. WRTH showed 5 kW fulltime, more like the signal I used to get (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, July 27 at 0606 UT, YL preaching in Spanish with music background, audible with KSL nulled, and fast SAH; 0614 UT OM takes over, mentions ``De Mujer a Mujer``, program title? and phone number with AC 214-. There is an 1160 in Dallas (Highland Park), KVCE, but business format in English presumably still in effect; 1 kW night and with a null notch toward us.

Instead, I assume it`s KRDY in San Antonio TX, also 1 kW night, but with some signal toward us, a Radio Luz with Spanish religion. Normally I`m lucky to get KSL, let alone anything else, but KFAQ 1170 IBOC not so bad at the moment; nulling KSL also partly reduces the Tulsa signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1500, July 28 at 0152 UT, KJIM Sherman TX is signing off at this odd hour, to return at 6 am (11 UT) with CBS news. As I listen on the NRD-545, which tunes all bands equally well from the same antenna, a noise burst emanates from my nearest streetlite, as it fires up, having detected it`s a few minutes after sundown; and a minute later another burst as it flashes up to full glower at 0153 UT. Enid sunset is 0142 UT, now earlying 1 minute per day.

Oh2, KJIM is a bit late as its official FCC sunset in July is 0145 UT (August: 0115 UT). This 1 kW daytimer with nostalgia format is one I would enjoy hearing at local level. It`s figure-8 direxional, slightly clockwise from N/S, helpful to us but probably not appreciated around Pawhuska (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---