[IRCA] FORT WAYNE DX CONVENTION: Schedule (almost) finalized

Hard to believe it's barely more than a week before the IRCA/NRC/WTFDA/DecalcoMania joint DX Convention kicks off in Fort Wayne, Indiana!

Thanks for your patience as we've worked to finalize a schedule of events. Your all-volunteer convention planners are at the mercy of many factors, including some devastating flooding last weekend that knocked out power to a big chunk of Fort Wayne for several days and kept the local engineers especially busy repairing damage and getting their stations back on the air.

If you haven't made plans yet and still want to come, there may be a limited number of hotel rooms still available in the additional block we reserved after the initial block sold out. We can accommodate additional banquet guests and baseball attendees, but I need to hear from you by FRIDAY, JULY 3 if you're interested.

If you are expecting a pickup or dropoff at the airport, train station or bus terminal and have not yet confirmed it with me, please do so ASAP!

Here's what we have so far as a schedule, with some changes still possible as we get closer.

FRIDAY JULY 10

12:00 PM - Convention room opens, registration opens

12:30 PM - EDUCATIONAL SESSIONS, PART I
(Pizza and drinks will be provided during the sessions)
Mark Durenberger: Desert DXPeditions 2014-2015/Neil Kazaross on antennas
"NUTS" and volts":
Brian May TV data, David Yocis request:  Manipulating the SDR,
Mike Lantz on Miami Pirates, TBA:  RDS and I-D signalling

3 PM - STATION TOURS, TBA (We will at least drive out to the WOWO 1190 site in Roanoke, Indiana, and I am still hoping to arrange an inside tour, pending the availability of station staff.)

6 PM - Depart the hotel for Parkview Field, for those attending the Fort Wayne TinCaps game. The convention room will remain open for conversation and hangout time for those not going to the game

~10 PM (after the game) - LATE NIGHT RADIO CHAT

SATURDAY JULY 11

9:30 AM - EDUCATIONAL SESSIONS, PART II

Nick Hall-Patch/Bill Whitacre-Parallel DXPeditions
Carl Luetzelschwab Solar impact on Propagation
NHP, CL, MD  Noise reduction---Optional "panel"

12:30 PM - Depart the hotel for lunch somewhere nearby

2:30 PM - STATION TOUR - Adams Radio Group
The Adams Radio Group recently purchased and reconfigured two Fort Wayne radio clusters, combining its stations in the facility on Lower Huntington Road that has been the WGL 1250 transmitter site since the 1940s and has been the WGL studios since 1972. The facility is now home to one AM transmitter and studios for two AM stations (WGL 1250 and WLYV 1450) along with six FM stations (WBTU 93.3, WXKE 96.3, W245BL "B96.9", W277AK "Great Country 103.3," WWFW 103.9, WJFX 107.9).

4 PM - STATION TOUR - WOWO/Federated Media
The facility at 2915 Maples Road was originally constructed in 1947 as the transmitter site of WKJG 1380. It is still the WKJG transmitter site, and now also houses studios for all of Federated Media's stations in the market, including the legendary WOWO 1190.

6 PM - Cocktail hour begins
6:30 PM - BANQUET AND KEYNOTE ADDRESS
9 PM - AUCTION

SUNDAY JULY 12

9:30 AM - Club business meetings
10:30 AM - The Great DX Quiz
12:00 PM - Convention room closes

(Depending on interest, there *may* be an additional station tour or two in the early afternoon, or at least a drive by the TV tower farm just up the road from the hotel. We could also do this Friday morning if enough people are already in town who are interested.)

Any questions? Drop me a line and I'll do my best to answer. I am in Rochester until July 4 and will then be on the road to Fort Wayne July 5.

See you in WOWO-land!!