[IRCA] Top Ten Signals from the South Pacific (Rockwork 4 DXpedition)

Hello All,

From June 25-29 a group of three transoceanic DXers set up antennas and radio equipment at Rockwork 4, aÂplunging ocean side cliff along Highway 101 just north of Manzanita, Oregon. Each morning around local sunrise an all-out search was made for South Pacific MW stations, with two of the DXers (Chuck Hutton and Tom Rothlisberger) recording signalsÂon theirÂPerseus-SDR receivers, and the third one (me) using Ultralight radios and large FSL antennas.

The recordings have all been reviewed from the Ultralight radio portion of the DXpedition, and the MP3's from the ten strongestÂSouth Pacific stations received at Rockwork 4 are linked below. This was the first ocean cliff test of the new 17" diameter Ferrite Sleeve Loop antenna (photo linked at https://app.box.com/s/wi78hlmofflefzd2bd897gy0vvqvvxdu Â),Âwhich to my knowledge is the largest of its kind in the world. As such, all ten of the strongestÂSouth Pacific stations have some serious power.ÂMy DXpedition partners Chuck and Tom are reviewing their Perseus .wav files and will post their results later. This cliff was the site of the best New Zealand MW results ever obtained on the west coast last July, with Chuck receiving 87 Kiwi stations on his Perseus-SDR and 15' x 15' flag antenna.

531 PI Auckland, New Zealand (5 kW) ÂSamoan language station was as vibrant as usual over the Australians on most mornings
https://app.box.com/s/jwzzk6hhs3s75m74vjdido98s2n1exmq

567 RNZ National Wellington, NewÂZealand (50 kW) Usually the strongest Kiwi station on the band each morning,Âand a convenientÂsignal to check RNZ parallel stations https://app.box.com/s/tndc6maw6m1q2ux2oupurj2wthrr94ad

603Â Radio WaateaÂÂÂAuckland,ÂNew Zealand (5 kW)ÂÂ Strong Maori language speech and music on most mornings, // 765- R. Kahungunu
https://app.box.com/s/ga6x6urw6h6vcesck2zqdy950vafr5ck ÂÂ

657 Star Wellington/ Tauranga, ÂNew Zealand (50 kW) Christian hymn broadcaster wasÂtypicallyÂstrong but troubled by domestic splatter on most mornings https://app.box.com/s/6tt2fljdpum1me4q93sulr6yn083c03l

684 Rhema Gisborne, New Zealand (5 kW)ÂÂÂChristian contemporary music broadcaster (//594) wasÂpretty strong on most mornings
https://app.box.com/s/tnxl79si61helgpxgsf6egwz8rg1gi7y

702 Magic Auckland, New Zealand (10 kW) New oldies music station (ex-Radio Live) had potent signals on some mornings, but was MIA on others. This recording has a somewhat muffled "Magic" ID in between the two songs
https://app.box.com/s/ox7uxl55so19140cohmv8ti68vscxp0m

738 Radio Polynesie Mahina, Tahiti (20 kW) The only non-Kiwi to make this list. This blistering levelÂAfrican music signal on the first day of the DXpedition gave my Ultralight radio a serious crunch resistanceÂtest
https://app.box.com/s/sfu8epugr2w0x2ut215nfmd90vxnw6ra

765 Radio Kahungunu Napier-Hastings, New Zealand (2.5 kW) Amazing signals for such low power, this Maori language station was often the strongest one in the early morning Maori network (// 603-Waatea)
https://app.box.com/s/fqio3aim333olwznp66hmp0fger0wj6u

783 Access Radio Wellington, New Zealand (10 kW) Multi-cultural stationÂbroadcasts a diverse variety of ethnic programming. This apparent Indian speech and music was received at a strong level on 6-28
https://app.box.com/s/6d04xu2w8w9yghiny6uqurb4l9f1yowj

1035 Newstalk ZB Wellington, New Zealand (20 kW) Strongest of the Newstalk network, this station was vibrant with music and an ID at 1256 on the last day of the DXpedition (6-29) https://app.box.com/s/skbre5ph32329k0o82495dnard5ld3ik

Many more South Pacific MW stations were received during my portionÂthe DXpedition, but these were the strongest. Thanks to my DXpedition partners Chuck and Tom, whose presence at the plunging cliffÂprovided more evidence that the theory of enhancedÂtransoceanic propagation at these sites is catching on amongÂour TP-DXing group.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff, north of Manzanita, OR)
7.5" loopstick C.Crane Skywave Ultralight +
17" and 15" FSL antennas

ÂÂÂ