Re: [IRCA] Brief RTL-SDR review/modification

Thanks for that extensive report Tim.

If I understand you correctly, your modified version is quite sensitive on medium wave, as judged by how it performs with a short bit of wire indoors, and I guess your 30' vertical outdoors proves it has poor signal handling ability,. A tuned loop or an antenna tuner for an outdoor antenna would get past that problem, but by sacrificing the broadband nature of the SDR.

Did you try just attenuating the vertical's signal until the MW band becomes useable? If so, does that just make the band deaf, or is there still reserve sensitivity in the unit?

best wishes,

Nick