[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 15-21, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page34

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, May 17 at 2100 UT check, KEOR/KETU is still off. Also off May 18 at 1835 UT (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1610, May 18 at 1852 UT on caradio at a quiet location in western Enid, NWS synthetic YL is barely audible including Wichita conditions, so it`s the Great Salt Plains State Park/NWR TIS, northwest of Enid, WQCL720, which AFAIK does nothing but relay NOAA Weather Radio, a default banned by the FCC as recently reaffirmed; and which provides a great public service, as who has a 162 MHz radio in their dashboard? See also USA bandscan, 530 from KS with Wichita too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 2899.76 approx., May 15 at 0839 UT brief awakening, C&W music is audible despite heavy storm noise over OK/TX. Lacking the QRN, should be easily copiable. Up at 1323 UT, it`s the first thing I try again, and there it is on the FRG-7 with E/W longwire (and Altus is SSW), quite readable steady signal with good modulation in M&M sports discussion about football, hockey, MLB.

Recorded three excerpts and put into one file:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KWHWx2.rm

1329 UT ``Country KWHW``, humidity 81%, dewpoint 60, 1330 UT join Oklahoma News Network, first item about listeria at the Blue Bell plant;

1335 UT, ``Smiley`s, one half block south of Walmart in Altus``, into Daily Dose with Dr Oz, about Lyme Disease; then promo ``Original Swap Shop Monday-Saturday on KWHW 93.5 and AM 1450``, 1337 UT C&W music.

1359 UT, still in, C&W, ID and into ABC News.

I measured the frequency at 1400 UT when there was still enough signal to do so on the DX-398 compared to WWV 2500.000, using only interior random wire. By now it`s weakening a bit, but the signal has been quite steady and I wouldn`t be surprised if, local noise level permitting, it`s audible all day here. The city-to-city distance Altus to Enid is 236 km = 147 statute miles. Today`s Enid SR/SS = 1125 UT/0131 UT. Have yet to check for it in the evenings.

Neither in the night nor the day have I yet been able to detect any carrier on the lo side of 1450, leading me to suspect that KWHW is so out of order that most (all?) of its 668 watts are mistuned, going out on the second harmonic! However, KWHW never makes it here on daytime groundwave, 1450 instead a tossup between the two other OK stations, KSIW Woodward and KGFF Shawnee. It seems I have never made a definite log of KWHW 1450 altho maybe as a SAH against the others.

As with all harmonix, as long as they are not doing damage to a legit occupant of the frequency, and none are known on 2900, I urge DXers to let them be, do not complain, do not contact the station for a QSL lest they be led to fix the problem before more of us can hear it.

Tnx to Dave Valko`s tip, who first heard it in PA May 14 at 0946 past 1000 UT, measured on 2899.753, and wondered if I could hear the fundamental on 1449.877 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 2899.75 approx., further chex of the KWHW Altus second harmonic:

0112 UT May 16, there it is with YL talk, phone-in, vs heavy storm noise from TX panhandle area.

0128 UT May 16, I try to hear any trace of a LAH below 1450, but cannot. Really not transmitting on the fundamental??

How about higher harmonix? I check 4350 and 5800, May 16 at 1137 UT, but nothing. There`s a big ute circa 4345.

1142 UT, 2900- is still audible with narrative, western accent, and may well be that syndicated cowboy show with Red whatshisname, then C&W song.

KWHW has an active website, http://kwhw.com but apparently with no plain old program schedule, a defect of so many stations. What are they thinking???

Has a variety of rotating slogans. Shown on the website logo are PURE COUNTRY and Love Our Country. Positioning implies they apply respectively to AM and FM, so not duplicating? I hear dual IDs as if they are. Separate streams are also offered. The K of the callsign is a boot with a notch at the top..

At 1238 UT, a bit stronger with C&W music. Still audible at 1408 UT, but weaker. 1411 canned YL ID as ``The home of the ----, KWHW``, probably referring some local SBG team, sounded like with E`s in it. Website mentions Lady Bulldogs for BKB, out of season but with a camp pending. Then into a `honky-tonk` tune. 1418 UT, ``KWHW AM & FM ---- ` another slogan I can`t copy. 1423 UT some ads; 1430 UT ``KWHW 93.5 and AM 1450`` by same YL. Time to turn off and tune in Mexican TVDX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 2899.75 approx., May 18 at 0552 UT tune-in, ``AM Stereo 1450, KWHW and 93.5, together loving our country`` --- one of a large variety of canned slogan IDs all voiced by same YL, never mentioning 2900! and into music. Good and steady signal, S9+20 on the FRG-7 with E-W longwire, best heard yet and not much storm noise now.

Altus harmonic is still radiating for the fifth day. If one did not know better, could easily be taken for an intentional `SW` broadcast, far outstripping the JBA signal sometimes on 2660 from KGLD Tyler TX.  Still not a trace of a carrier on what would be the fundamental on the low side of 1450, night or day. So would the AM stereo decode on 2900v? Not listed on 1450 as $ in NRC AM Log. Why doesn`t she say their FM is stereo too, as it surely must be? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1774, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 2899.75, May 19 at 1327 UT, a bihour after sunrise, KWHW Altus quite audible on second harmonic, as ``sports from the Sports Leader``, ``Go, Bulldogs!``, and lots of local sponsors named; 1330 UT joining Randy Renner on the Oklahoma News Network (out of OKC) (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1774, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 2899.76 approx., May 21 at 1143 UT, KWHW 2 x harmonic is still here, but much weaker than before, with music; and no better at 1243 & 1345 UT chex. I remeasure it compared to WWV at 1243 UT. So our fun with this is ending as the Altusians are obviously working on the harmonic but have not yet eliminated it completely. I wish I could hear what 1450- has been sounding like locally, if anything (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Another tornado outbreak Saturday evening May 16 led the OKC TV stations again to drop everything for wall-to-wall storm coverage. As usual, the only network news making it thru was CBS` at 2230 UT, shifted from KWTV RF 39 to its substation KSBI RF 23; but at 2300 UT, back to KSBI regular programming. I suppose the primetime schedule after 0000 UT May 17 again went back to channel ``52``, unchecked. NBC viewers of KFOR RF 27 out of luck until 0330 UT for SNL season finale. KOCO again shifted ABC from 5.1 to 5.2, pre-empting MeTV on RF 7.

OKC didn`t get hit, after tornados broke out to the west, but as the storm front approached The Metro, I checked the FM & AM stations circa 0130 UT May 17:

Relaying KFOR  4 audio: 94.7, 96.1, 101.9, 102.7, 1000
Relaying KWTV  9 audio: 92.5, 93.3, 104.1, 107.7, 1520
Relaying KOCO  5 audio: 99.7, 88.1 [KWOU Woodward relaying 106.3]
Relaying KOKH 25 audio: NONE

Following retained regular programming of music, public radio or sports talk (tho might have had weather advisory break-ins): 90.1, 91.7, 96.9, 98.1, 98.9, 100.5, 640, 930; and all gospel huxters commercial or non- (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. Midday MW bandscan on caradio from a quiet location outside Oakwood Mall in western Enid, amid storm crashes every two or three seconds, groundwave is good, includes: Local mean noon is always 1832 UT:

530, May 18 at 1836 UT, NWS, NOAA Weather Radio, very poor, barely audible, but do make out ``Wichita 1-pm conditions``, so it`s one of the Kansas Turnpike outlets, probably the closest one near South Haven, which under ideal conditions reaches Enid. (``K530AM`` Vance AFB remains kaput). 1610, another NWS relay; see OKLAHOMA

550, May 18 at 1837 UT, KFRM Salina KS bigsig has some talk CCI underneath making SAH of ~6 Hz. Must be 5/1 kW newstalk format from KCRS Midland TX (address in Odessa). Day pattern is not unfavorable this way, but a notch at night. KCRS would certainly be readable if KFRM were not in the way. 624 km, 388 stmi, city to city

580, May 18 at 1838 UT, WIBW Wichita KS talker clearly has C&W music underneath, slow SAH of 1.4 Hz. This is certainly Lubbock TX, 500-watt KRFE, however listed as AC format in NRC AM Log. Advantage of great ground conductivity (and all the rain lately may have helped), and low frequency, despite direxional pattern westward, assuming it`s in whack

630, May 18 at 1839 UT, talk station, in heavy splash, but no IBOC, from KWPN Moore OK 640. Presumably KHOW Denver, as 670 is normal

670, May 18 at 1840 UT, gospel huxter quite readable in English, no QRM from WSCR Chicago, so it`s KLTT Commerce City (Denver market) CO

790, May 18 at 1841 UT, singing ad and ``K-triple-X`` ID from Colby KS, with KFYO Lubbock TX underneath. Always splash from 800 KQCV OKC, without which this would be listenable

850, May 18 at 1842 UT, hymn in Spanish fades up and down mostly surpassing remnant of KOA Denver, i.e. 5 kW KJON Carrollton TX (Dallas market)

870, WWL! See separate log entry

Quick scan of higher band found not much of interest (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1774, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Midday MW bandscan on caradio from a quiet location outside Oakwood Mall in western Enid, amid storm crashes every two or three seconds, groundwave is good, includes: Local mean noon is always 1832 UT:

870, May 18 at 1843 UT, ad for Express selling Tranes, no area code but 263-0442, then ad for a solar system, and fadeout after making SAH of about 6 Hz with another station, probably KFJZ Fort Worth in Vietnamese. Can it be WWL? Not much else on 870 around here. Yes!! It all matches up here: http://www.expressheatandac.com/  New Orleans city to city Enid distance: 1021 km = 645 statute miles --- at hi noon. And the question re-arises, is this groundwave or skywave, both rather improbable (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1774, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

870 WWL LA New Orleans â Applies for STA to operate without sampling system, which is not working (NRC DX News May 25)

What`s a sampling system? Could this have any bearing on the power or pattern, leading to my midday DX of it at over a megameter and overland? (Glenn Hauser, DXLD)

** U S A. 1020, May 18 at 0621 UT, Spanish preacher at least equal level with nearby KOKP Perry OK, which I almost null, as the two make a SAH of 3.6 Hz; 0630 UT outro program as ``La Voz de la SalvaciÃn`` with an address in Florida and partial phone 800-8432. 0631 UT ID as ``Radio VisiÃn Cristiana, la emisora de ----``, another partial phone as 811-11-30, and time check for 2:32, into music.

So this is RVC`s 1020 station, KCKN Roswell NM, taking live feed from EDT zone flagship in NYC, WWRV 1330. Now they`ve fixed the frequency after big audible het KCKN had been causing, and also seem to have powered up from longtime QRP STA, and/or overcome pattern null toward KDKA and us (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1774, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, May 21 at 0601 UT, RadiovisiÃn Cristiana multi-station ID including KCKN Roswell NM. Still putting way too much signal into what is supposed to be notch toward KDKA, but at least it`s only a SAH away from KOKP nulled from here as much as possible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1340, May 16 at 0206 UT, dominant signal atop graveyard jumble is country music; loops NNW/SSE like OKC, but that`s a sports station. Likely KAND Corsicana TX, next station beyond in same direxion. 0208 UT tune ends and awaiting ID, announcement, or seguÃ, but nothing, as if signed off, which a graveyarder would not need to do. Probably just an automation SNAFU (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. 1520, May 17 at 1132 UT, KYND Cypress (Houston) TX with CRI English, axually atop KOKC OKC, then fighting it out; hard to separate them at almost same azimuth from here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, May 17 at 1132 UT, incredibly awful audio catches my attention, mixture of church music and talk, sounds like an ancient cylinder recording! Music stops at 1134 UT and then a bit better copy of preacher, but still can`t understand his ID; anyhow, good signal from NE/SW, surely KXEL Waterloo IA still propagating a little past sunrise. Unlike many stations, this one axually has a full program schedule on website, strangely linked from top of home page as ``paid programming`` which this certainly is, but not all of it:
http://www.kxel.com/ProgramSchedule.aspx
``Sundays 6:30-7:30 am Whole Truth Church`` in CDT = UT -5 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---