[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 24-30, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page34

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA [and non]. 800, April 28 at 0647 UT, secular talk show in English with KQCV OKC nulled, presumably CKLW Windsor with `Coast to Coast AM` [and beyond border-to-border], and same thing one word later on 790, probably KFYO Lubbock TX, among half a dozen other 790 affiliates. The 800 QRM will get a lot worse if PJB3 succeeds in upping power from Bonaire to 450 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, April 26 at 1339 UT, my semi-local KOKP Perry is off! Sibling station 1580 KOKB Blackwell is still on, so make that Double-Play instead of Triple-Play. In KOKP absence, I detect a JBA carrier on-frequency, likely remnant of KMMQ Nebraska. These stations are normally almost zero-beat, and I can hear the 50 kW KMMQ Spanish around SRS. Both were suspected as source of way off-frequency het heard by others starting with Todd Skaine, MN, previous night April 25 circa 1100 UT. Maybe that`s why KOKP is off now? Still off at 1730 UT April 26 recheck. 400/250 watts. Hope it`s still off tonight so can hear something more exotic like KDKA or ZP14 or some of the 52 Radio Illimani 1020s in Bolivia, hi2.

Brian Rachford, Prescott, AZ posted at 1105 UT April 25 to IRCA: ``I've got it here, although the hum is quite fade-y. It loops W-E, so maybe KMMQ? Frequency analysis on a brief recording has a wonking spike at 107 Hz. I have Spanish speaking over Spanish music so probably KTNQ [Los Ãngeles] over KMMQ, which is common here. The hum decreased when the SS music became dominant for a bit. Had a "Univision" ident near TOH so the SS talk is KTNQ, and couldn't make out an ident for other station, but format consistent with KMMQ``
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020-, April 27 at 0526 UT, semi-local KOKP Perry is still off the air; must be serious.

As Minnesotans have been noting, there is a low audible het on frequency, so somebody else is off-channel, and to the low side. They think it`s KMMQ in NE but not I, since LAH loops ENE/WSW from here. At 0527 UT I do get an uncopied Spanish ID which is not off-frequency, and from N/S-ish, and presumably that is KMMQ.

Then by 0534 UT CCI on 1020 grows from something in English, ad in the 412 area code, i.e. KDKA Pgh PA, but which is surely not the off-freq either, and not much of a signal.

Once again, since there are no Mexicans in the north or west, that rather leaves the much-crippled, QRP from 50 kW KCKN Roswell NM as prime suspect. With max signal from the het, I also note that it is pulsing regularly, at the rate of 136/minute. Someone closer to KCKN should be able to check out these signatures. And KOKP is still off April 27 at 1957 UT check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, KOKP Perry, still off the air at 2238 UT check April 28 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1771, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, April 30 at 1229 UT, KOKP Perry is still AWOL, and in its absence there is weak Spanish from N/S, no doubt KMMQ Plattsmouth (Omaha market) NE on 50 kW day pattern. KOKP still off at 1917 check (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 27 at 2246 UT, KETU Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is on! Not only with carrier, but romantic music programming, for first time in at least 3 months. I check it almost every day, and yesterday afternoon there was still no signal. Now it`s definitely this with Mexican music from direxion of Sperry, too early for KMOX.

Last known name as KEOR was Radio Victoria, so I`m listening for such an ID and praiseworthy programming; 2251 UT brief announcement but no copy before back to music. I`m on the porch but still battling computer hash QRM from inside, so I move out to the end of the driveway where it`s less. I also switch from the PL-880 to the DX-398 which is definitely more sensitive if not more selective. 2257 UT I hear new slogan ``La Nueva Picuda``, next song includes lyrix ``sÃlo por ella``. 2301 UT ID: ``Està en sintonÃa con La Picuda; transmitimos desde Los Ãngeles al mundo`` and back to music. NO LEGAL ID, no call letters or local location, nor any pause in the network feed for it!

So I then search on that strange name, picuda, a feminine mexicanismo which means clever, crafty or sly. And first find this:

http://www.radiogl.com/#!la-picuda/coh1
7/24 formato regional mexicano
Explains how to get it using Comrex or Barix automation systems. That linx to main site, mascot an anthropomorphic sombreroed chili pepper:
http://www.picudaradio.com/
but really not much there except a webcasting link untried.

General searching on the name keeps hitting 107.1 in Dallas, KDXX as another Picuda affiliate. This aggregator site, http://www.worldtvradio.com puts KDXX and lots of other K-calls in North Carolina! What`s with that?? What nonsense. Furthermore, KDXX is really in Denton TX, north of Fort Worth, and really on 99.1, with the slogan Latino Mix, per WTFDA FM Database. However, it`s sibling station to 107.1 KESS Benbrook TX, suburb southwest of FW, not Dallas.

FCC AM Query shows KETU is still licensed to La Zeta 95.7 (i.e. KSEC Bentonville AR). Legal SR/SS hours for Catoosa are: April, 1145-0100 UT; May, 1115-0130 UT. I tune in again at 0058 UT April 29 but it`s already off and KMOX is now in with silly baseball game, guess what team. Remains to be heard whether KETU will now stay on the air at least in daytime, or perhaps this was just a one-shot like otherwise silent stations often perform to avoid losing their license. (Our streetlite now fires up at *0130 UT, clear sky at sunset, which was 0117*.) (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 29 at 1648 UT, KETU Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa, Radio Picuda is off the air again, as if yesterday`s appearance was indeed a one-shot to keep the license active. But I shall try to keep checking for it at least once a day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, while KETU Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa was off at 1648 UT check April 29, it`s back on at next check 2359 UT, monitored across hourtop with ``regional Mexican music``, no KETU or La Picuda ID, no break, but seguà to another song at 0002 UT April 30. ``Regional Mexican`` as a format I find incredibly vague, but no less so than simply ``Mexican``. By this hour KMOX is starting to show its SAH. Maybe back to old trix, sporadic limited transmissions which could also appear at night? Watch out for it (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1771, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 30 at 1230 UT, KETU is on again, quick announcement of uncopiable website and ``La Picada`` slogan; vs gospel huxter in English depending on nulling, no doubt KTXW Texas, no KMOX by this hour. KETU is off again at 1917 UT recheck. I`ve yet to hear any legal KETU ID from it (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, April 30 at 1233 UT, Guymon with weather ``on Today`s Country, KGYN``, so is slogan no longer ``US Country``, or just a variant? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. April 24 at 1230 UT, I awaken to find AC power is off, so hasten to tune around with lowered noise level. Strongest local, 1390 KCRC in another part of Enid is also off, so must be fairly extensive. Its associated Chisholm Trail stations on FM are also off, or rather on with carrier only: 107.1 KNID, 95.7 KXLS; while Champlin`s 96.9 KQOB and 1640 KZLS, really run from OKC and with sites between here and there, are still on normally.

At 1239 UT bandscan, also off the air is 94.3 KLGB-LP, but strangely, its sibling station at same site, 99.9 KVBN-LP, is still on. The Williams stations, 960 KGWA and 103.1 KOFM are still on. Also still on in Enid are translators or LPs on 92.1, 105.5, 98.5, 91.1, 89.1.

Power at home comes back on at 1307 UT, but KCRC 1390 is still off; by 1315 UT its carrier with hum is back. 94.3 is also back by 1315 UT with music; 95.7 still open carrier; 107.1 back to normal with Oklahoma Farm Bureau report at 1316 UT; At 1318 UT, 95.7 is back to normal too.

Cause of outage must not be storms, none around. Here`s the scoop from the Enid Eagle:

``UPDATE: POWER RESTORED TO ENID CUSTOMERS

ENID, Okla. â More than 2,862 customers were out of power Friday morning for about an hour, according to an OG&E Electric System spokesman.

John Little said power went out around 7-7:15 a.m. and was restored for most around 8 a.m. A lag in OG&E's SystemWatch, the public online source for outage information, showed power still out to nearly 3,000 around 9 a.m. Little said that digital issue is being address by OG&E so more accurate information will be provided in the future.

A burning pole in the area of Cambridge and 6th in northeast Enid was to blame for the outage, Little said, though officials do not yet know what caused the fire. He said they do not believe weather was to blame.

When crews arrived on the scene, he said, they were able to reroute power to most of the affected customers. "With the exception of one or two people off that pole," he said, "everyone is back on."``
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[non] I would have preferred to be in Enid for most of this week. Power went off around 1 am (local) Tuesday morning and apart from  2 hours on Tuesday afternoon didn't come back on until about 9 pm Friday. At one stage there were 100s of thousands properties without power and there are still 10s of thousands without power. The server came up but the networking wasn't working so after a bit of a look it is now working (I don't live where the server is). I normally connect remotely but my internet has only been available this afternoon. Couldn't buy batteries to power any radios so it was quiet here. Just had a hailstorm and now have lots of thunder. â (Wayne Bastow, Narara, NSW, Australia, 33Â 23' 33.5" South, 151Â 21' 10.4" East, April 25, ARDXC via DXLD)

** OKLAHOMA. 1500, April 26 at 0135 UT, ad for a product from Cardinals.com so must be a St. Louis team baseball affiliate. Per
http://mlb.mlb.com/stl/schedule/tv_radio_affiliates.jsp
the only one on 1500 is KPGM Pawhuska (Bartlesville market) OK. The trouble is, it`s a 500-watt daytimer, illegal after 0100* UT in April (May: 0130*). However, sibling fulltime station 1400 KWON + FM is also on the roster. There are Cards affils in nine states, NOT including Kansas which the Royals must have sewn up. There are several more in OK, but only in the north, east, and central part of the state (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1640, April 28 at 0635-0638+ UT, dead air from local KZLS Enid/Hennessey/OKC, while with carrier nulled, there`s talk about earthquake, which seems unlikely to be on ESPN`s WTNI Biloxi MS, so what else? Usually KZLS is on `Red Eye Radio`. 0703 UT recheck, now it`s remodulating with ``news`` from Blaze Radio Network, back to dead air at 0704 UT after cutaway cue ``truth lives here``, ha ha (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===============

** U S A. 690, April 28 at 0650 UT, open carrier loops almost east/west, sufficient quieting to tell it`s there, i.e. KGGF Coffeyville KS, still leaving carrier on all-night after ``sign-off`` circa 0500 UT following rotating patriotic songs and Taps (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 980, April 28 at 0614 UT, Spanish announcer is uttering a long list of AM and FM frequencies, towns in Texas mostly with Anglo names (like Livingston, but never any call letters), and then with ``cabina`` phone numbers, including for 980 and a different one for newly added 1590 in Houston market --- but he adds, don`t call now, as nobody is there (no hay nadie) at 1590 or even on 980 itself, which is evidently really duplicating some FM station. Then reference to radioaleluya.org --- hope that`s spelt right. Anyhow, 980 is KQUE, Rosenberg-Richmond TX (address in Pasadena), 5/4 kW U4, // KFTG 88.1 per NRC AM Log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020-, further check of the low audible heterodyne here, still with the absence of KOKP Perry OK (see previous reports under OKLAHOMA): April 28 at 0619 UT, the LAH is just about opposite to KDKA Pittsburgh, i.e. can`t null one and get the other, so still pointing to KCKN Roswell NM; the two are within a few degrees of 180 apart from here. Copying anything depends on fades-up & down of each.

LAH, still pulsing, is on the low side: 1020- compared to KDKA which is surely close to 1020.00: it`s in `Overnight America` show as host refers to Baltimore where it`s on WBAL (1090). Now I am getting some Spanish? music from the LAH station. At 0641 UT recheck, the LAH station is atop, now with Spanish YL talk, maybe religious, or self-help, mentions ``abusos``, with phone 855-525-3302, repeated, or a toll number in AC 310. Reverse-lookups go nowhere. Is there any good site for that which will just display the info without charging for it? 0643 UT, it goes back to music, as KDKA is resurging. Recheck at 0659 UT, only getting a quick KDKA ID + FM HD channel.

AC 310 is Los Ãngeles, so this implies UnivisiÃn AmÃrica, KTNQ, really 50 kW on 1020. The LAH is so close to 1020 that I can`t be sure if the Spanish audio was from the LAH frequency or really another on-frequency. Prime suspect low-powered KCKN Roswell is with RadiovisiÃn Cristiana, like 1330 in NYC, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, etc. But no station in Los Ãngeles (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1771, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, April 27 at 1958 UT on caradio, tnx to absence of 1020 KOKP Perry semi-local, clear shot from KBUF Holcomb (Garden City) KS, ID after promo for `Southwest Kansas Focus`, Sundays at 10:05 am [1505 UT]. It`s 2.5 kW ND day; 1.2 kW night direxional southwest when I never hear it. With a call like that, when it first appeared I guessed it was in Buffalo OK, just across the border (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, April 26 at 0534 UT, predicted low 38 from `The Big Talker, KQAM`. What??! It can`t be that cold this time of year. In fact, NWS records for Wichita shows the low this morning was 50. Therefore, KQAM is not to be trusted for weather info, probably automatically replaying long-outdated forecast. But what can you expect from a station dedicated to propagating far-right hateful wackos like Michael Savage and Laura Ingraham? No less a public disservice (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, April 24 at 0559 UT, ad for John Deere farm equipment, Colorado Springs, no ID heard, and 0600 UT into medical talk show, so KHIG. I`ve yet to hear much about pot on it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1670, April 24 at 0556 UT, two ``Fox Sports 1670`` promos, so must be WPLA Dry Branch (Macon market) GA, and DF fits for that rather than Madison WI WOZN which is CBS Sports (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1130, April 28 at 0657 UT, Mexican music peaks counter-clockwise from KWKH Shreveport, which rules out central Mexico, so Central America? No Cubans listed. Or, from the other side, maybe Sinaloa or Sonora. Need to keep on this one. No likely USA SS unless daytimers in TN or GA happen to be nighttimers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1390, April 24 at 1230 UT I awaken to find AC power is off, so quick bandscan finds local KCRC NSP is also off, a rare opportunity to DX something else (see OKLAHOMA for more on this). Dominating 1390 are national ads, then some syndicated talkshow in English from E/W. At first I figure it`s very likely my next-nearest in Rogers (Fayetteville address) AR, which is ND daytime (and KCRC must protect it, beaming away from it westward), but NRC AM Log shows KFFK is SS:MEX, La Patrona (I did also hear some Spanish briefly in the mix). So on to next choice which is really northeast: KJPW, Waynesville MO, also 5 kW ND daytime, and is a talker in English, including Fox network. By 1315 UT, KCRC carrier is back on with hum (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1550, April 24 at 0602 UT, crooner in English, 0605 UT gospel song, loops WNW/ESE. Format and direxion rule out the usual closer suspects, so I wonder if it`s WLOR Huntsville AL, 50000/44 watts with UC/OLD format per NRC AM Log? Day pattern is circle tangent southward. WPFC BÃton Rouge LA, 5000/42 watts U1 with UC:GOS/REL also possible tho DF seems further counterclockwise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---