[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 17-23, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page33

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 990, UT Sat April 18 at 0605 UT, CBW opening news magazine, ``The Monocle Daily, live from London on Monocle 24``; little problem from usual opposite nemesis XET Monterrey; could they really be direxional south for a change??? Monocle is a new one on me, but is now one of the contributors to CBC Overnight, along with ABC, BBC, DW, PRI and RTE. Here`s the ``winter`` sked of CBC Overnight on Radio 1:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/pdfs/R1-Overnight-Winter2015-schedule.pdf
showing `Monocle Daily` [sic] really airs Saturdays only at 1-2 am.
This sked claims times are Eastern, as of March 9, implying that altho for Winter, DST has been taken into account. Yet, we know better that the times are Eastern ONLY in the Eastern zone! Delayed an hour for CBW in Central, etc., etc. (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1770, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, April 17 at 0507 UT, CHHA Toronto music with boosted bass beat, as I often notice, even when the signal is quite weak, thump, thump, thump. Do those locally or in the east who get it loudly and routinely, notice this? It`s a lot easier for AM stations to transmit low than high audio frequencies, but this one stands out. Perhaps it helps that there is usually no CCI with SAHs and LAHs to confuse things (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, April 23 at 0707 UT, weather and ID for WBBZ, Ponca City. Altho WBBZ is our daytime groundwave semi-local, unusual for it to be audible in the middle of the night against hundreds of other but further stations (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1270, April 18 at 0555 UT, VG signal with Mexican music, looping E/W, soon ID by SHVA as ``La Zeta 1270 AM``, so KTUZ Claremore (Tulsa market), 5/1 kW U4. Day and night patterns favor ENE/WSW, not so much toward here. I could easily believe this was on 5 kW day power. Note that namesake KTUZ FM // 106.7 is way over in OKC, and the TV station on RF 29 (``30``, ``36`` or ``48`` depending on which Spanish virtual channel one views) is in Shawnee/OKC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1360+ & 1420-, April 17 at 1227 UT, and just about anytime, local 1390 KCRC Enid is still putting out matching spurs plus and minus almost 30 kHz, lowly hetting whatever stations may be audible on those frequencies more exactly. Pitch of the two hets almost matches, but never quite due to loose frequency tolerances at KCRC et al. They loop toward the KCRC site (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===============

** U S A. 780, April 20 at 0622 UT, WBBM Chicago IL, but two reporters in a row sign off as ``Newsradio on 105.9 FM``, no mention of AM. Is this now standard on WBBM, further dooming its negligible AM side which only happens to cover half the nation? The off-frequency Mexican het doesn`t help until I null it, and then there`s Colorado music CCI (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1770, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

(KAZ) Yeah, this super-local often doesn't mention AM now. Cubs are now on WBBM and I think IBOC is often dropped for home games. When Cubs are on 780, news continues on 105.9. 73 KAZ too close to WGN and WBBM (Neil Kazaross, IL, ABDX via WORLD OF RADIO 1770, DXLD)

** U S A. 1010, April 20 at 0124 UT, as I tune in, good carrier in a pause, then undermodulated ID as ``KSIR, Brush-Fort Morgan`` and rejoin ESPN Radio for Sunday Night Baseball. Dominates 1010 at the moment. Is 25000/280 watts U3, so still on day power, until 0130 UT per FCC (-0200 UT from May). NRC AM Log shows prime identity is ``Farm Radio`` but also affiliated with ESPN. From NE Colorado, both day and night patterns are tight to the E and WSW, not favorable for here, but not exactly in a null. And KSIR carried WORLD OF RADIO for a while several years ago (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, April 20 at 0120 UT, station stuck with 4 syllables looping over and over; then dead air; 0121 UT recovers with 0122 ID as ``Radio Pentecoste``, praise music. Seems SSW. I am expecting XEMR Monterrey NL, but lots of google hits lead to SSE Fort Worth, and in fact per this:
http://www.iglesiapentecostescristovive.com/radio.html
the FW station on 1140 is now known as Radio Pentecostes Cristo Vive, 24 hours. That would be per NRC AM Log, KHFX, COL Cleburne TX, 5000/710 watts, SS:MEX format, address way off in Round Rock near Austin. FCC AM Query confirms call is still KHFX. Night pattern has a small lobe to the NW; day pattern major broad lobe to the west, minor to the ENE, and nulls toward me NNW, and SSE. Official FCC sunset in April is 0100 UT; May 0115 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1240, April 23 at 0706 UT, `Red Eye Radio` opening another hour by exaggerated bass announcer, briefly audible thru the graveyard pileup, peaks roughly E/W. If their website affiliate list be correct,
http://www.redeyeradioshow.com/common/page.php?pt=Red+Eye+Radio+Affiliates&id=301
the nearest by far and therefore most likely source is: KLIK, Jefferson [City] MO. Strangely, there are only four other 1240s listed, in MI, MN, NY, PA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, April 17 at 0050 UT, VG with Spanish talk, taking caller from Florida, no doubt KFLC Fort Worth TX, 50/5 kW U4, logged only to note the IBOC noise it is throwing onto 1260 and 1280 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1320, April 17 at 1228 UT, mentions 91.5 FM, St. Louis weather, iHeart Radio, 1320 AM. Not clear if // the FM, or cross promotion. These are Bott stations. NRC AM Log lists KSIV AM & FM Clayton MO as //. However, the FM would have to be non-commercial, so is the AM too? KSIV is 4.6/0.27 kW U2; well after sunrise now.

1320 was my local while at Washington University, 1963-1965y; call then was KXLW. That`s too far back before 1978y to show in FCC call sign history for facility 6499. Here`s an exhaustive listing of all the frequency, ownership and call sign changes in the St Louis market, saying KXLW lasted until July 1975:
http://www.stlmediahistory.com/Radio/Frequency

Also there is this story about KXLW`s colorful early history long before I was there:
http://www.stlmediahistory.com/index.php/Radio/RadioArticles/for-kxlw-the-early-road-was-rough

(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, April 18 at 0553 UT, peaking NE/SW in heavy QRM, tuning by, I hear ``The Big Talker, KHHA(?)``. No, it must be my closest but seldom heard 1440, KMAJ Topeka KS, 5/1 kW U3 with such a slogan. Both day and night patterns aim NW, with a null toward here. I never hear a trace of it on daytime groundwave, unlike 580 WIBW which is almost a local (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, April 17 at 0520 UT, looking for the new KHIG in Colorado Springs CO (ex-KREL, sports): looping NW/SE probably this, atop but with considerable QRM, W&W interview mentions ``all things women`` (a title?), about nutrition, libido, nether regions. Guest on phone is nutritionist Abby; 0532 UT local ad with addresses but I can`t copy anything to match to C.S.

All this during heavy local T-storm, no AC power outage but on DX-398, battery and internal antenna only. 0533 UT ID by M sounds like ``Kick-1580``, which makes me wonder if it`s KXZZ Lake Charles LA 1/1 kW U2, which is sports format but not known to use that slogan; possibly CCI from it. Then back to `All About Her` program; 0559 UT ID by low-key M voice, stoned? tentatively KHIG, 0600 UT right into ``Radio MD``. That`s the network/webcast carrying `All About Her`.

About the program, subtitled ``the NAKED truth about WOMEN``:
http://www.iheart.com/show/48-RadioMD-HER-Radio/
But hard to find any affiliate list of real radio stations.

Shawn Axelrod in Manitoba two hours earlier was hearing Kay-High-15-80 with non-pot talk about benefits of sleeping nude, other health matters. Ex-KREL facility is 10000/140 watts U1, and was well-known for running day power at night which would still be likely. Some have suggested that the all-pot format is just a stunt (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, April 17 at 1218 UT, ``1700 The Champ`` IDs, Des Moines and Iowa ads, 1221 UT back to CBS Sports Radio. From KBGG, distinguishing it from KVNS TX on another sports network (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1460, April 17 at 0046 UT, classic country from N/S, SAH of about 6 Hz with an ESPN station overtaking it. (Never mind SS KZUE closest in OK, easily overridden by any skywave). Each has two major possibilities in the NRC AM Log:
C&W: KLTC Dickinson ND 5000/5000 W U2; KCWM Hondo TX 500/226 watts U1
ESPN: KXPN Kearney NE  5000/56 W U1; KCLE Burleson TX 10000/700 W U4
Now which pair are 6 Hz apart? Otherwise, KCLE & KCWM most likely (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---