Re: [IRCA] New antenna report

--- Begin Message ---
I'll be interested in seeing how both Brian R. and Mark D. do with the antennas and I'll look forward to any online content generated.

I will be more than happy to link to these from my own articles and reports so that the DX community can see how different individuals' experiences mesh together.

Mark, did you ever do a report from your trip down south?  Obviously DX from somewhere like Florida is going to have a lot more stations in common with what I hear than Utah would - though I'm sure that will be of great value to DXers in the west.

The antenna I use on beach DXpeditions is this one:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm

I have only been DXing at home in the last year and a half but hope to take the SDR on the road before long.

At home I have two SuperLoops.  My most recent report is this one:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/log_20150331.txt (logs)
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_march2015.htm (some audio clips)

One of the best DXpedition sites within a reasonable drive is Tonset Road - Orleans, MA:
http://chowdanet.com/markc/pictures/orleans_dxsite1.gif (map)
http://chowdanet.com/markc/webpage/wmex1510/orleans_tonset_2.jpg (a site photo)

The site has been particularly productive for Brazil and Africa.  Here's the 1100 Brazilian, Radio Globo, Sao Paulo:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/audio1/globo-1100_20130621_0101z.mp3

Fort Hill Park in Eastham is also good:
http://chowdanet.com/markc/webpage/WA1ION/eastham.gif (map)
http://chowdanet.com/markc/webpage/wmex1510/eastham_3.jpg (photo)
http://takeadaytrip.com/great-places/massachusetts/cape-cod-national-seashore-fort-hill/  (tourist info)

Good results to Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East are common there.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Thanks Brian.
Read your report just as we're preparing for "Selfish
Birthday Trip 2015"
which includes a follow-on DXPedition to the Eastern
Utah desert.  This year
we plan comparison tests among several antennas of
various sizes including a
D-Kaz (single and broadside), a decent-sized EWE
and a Super-Loop...as well as
a horizontal MW loop.  The desert is a good
place to spread these far enough
apart to avoid mutual interference

Most of our work however will be in
daylight, since we need good ground-wave
signals for reliable measurements.
But at some point we'll chase the Sunset
toward the Pacific Northwest, in the
hopes of catching some stations still
on day power 'up there' while the
stations on the way are dropping to
post-sunset power.

I'll be posting the
results...and will be eagerly watching your own success!

Regards,

Mark
Durenberger, CPBE

--- End Message ---