[IRCA] PR-D15 AM Bandscands in AZ & PL-606 + Eton T3 by KUAZ Sunrise 3-30

--- Begin Message ---
Hi all...
This past weekend I was participating in a friend's wedding near Tucson, AZ, with my parents. ÂI had a little free time a couple days to do a little radio stuff, so I recorded a few videos. :)
First, an AM bandscan near Vail, AZ, on the Sangean PR-D15 around 3pm MST on the 29th:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vTn3VaCJgo

Next, a PR-D15 AM scan in Gila Bend, AZ, on the 30th around 2pm MST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_kOzFSb4o

Also, I knew that being in Tucson would be a great opportunity to demonstrate what happens when DSP radios are desensed by a strong signal. ÂKUAZ, on 1550 kHz, is licensed for 50 kW non-directional daytime only, into an almost 5/8-wave antenna. ÂSo, I was able to take a few radios by their transmitter site this past Monday morning (the 30th), and record video & audio of what happens on the Tecsun PL-606 and Eton Traveler III to a semi-local signal when KUAZ powers up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PmDZNgVe1w
I wasn't quite able to set it up exactly how I wanted, but you should get the basic idea. ÂOne second, you hear 1490-KFFN's signal fairly well (it would have been better if I'd positioned the radio right), the next section it's completely gone. ÂUnfortunately I was unable to add other radios (like the PR-D15, CC Pocket, Sony SRF-59) to the demonstration due to recording equipment limits, and the PL-606 drowned out my attempt to use the Zoom H2n's stereo recording mid-side mikes to also include the PL-380. ÂAlso I wanted to do the demonstration at sunset, but scheduling conflicts prevented it both evenings I was there (the 28th and 29th).
Does anyone have recommendations on portable ultralight radios that don't suffer from that issue, and have the selectivity of DSP radios with the internal noise immunity and sensitivity of the newer ones like the Traveler III and the (not yet tested/purchased by me) CC Skywave? ÂA vertical form factor would be preferred so I can slip it in my pocket while doing other activities, although horizontal would be okay if it has a decent belt clip like the Sony SRF-M37W (which fails on selectivity).
73, Stephen

--- End Message ---