[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 2-8, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page29

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 627-653 kHz, Jan 2 at 2112 UT check, IBOC is certainly on from 640 KWPN Moore, but I never hear any at night, and daytime is sporadic (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1460, Jan 2 at 2123 UT on caradio, sports talk station in English by skywave is already overriding groundwave KZUE El Reno, R. Fórmula. Too many possibilities in adjacent and second-adjacent states, and no DFing possible on vertical antenna. I do count a SAH between the two of 185/minute = 3.08 Hz, if that help (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Jan 2 at 1443 UT check, KZLS Enid++ is in open carrier/dead air again. Why bother to broadcast at all? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A. 690, Fri Jan 2 at 1405 UT, I`ve just started a MW bandscan upward in search of any Mexican or other interesting sunrise skip, but stop here at KGGF Coffeyville KS for an engrossing interview about cyber-security (or rather lack of any). Keeps going with no commercial breaks or ID, outro at 1433 UT as `Perspective` from Kansas State University.

This was the flagship public-affairs program on KKSU 580 Manhattan, which gave up its frequency to WIBW Topeka over 12 years ago, but still very much in produxion and available for any Kansas station to broadcast. So is this a regular timing for it, or is KGGF still in holiday-filler mode? Here`s the audio archive, including two weekly episodes since this one:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/News/p.aspx?tabid=68

``CYBER SECURITY RISKS - 12/19/2014 --- According to one cyber security expert almost 56 percent of smartphone users will use their device for some form of holiday shopping this year. That use is not a problem, but the fact that some of these phones may contain malware disguised as an app is a problem. That app could lead to data theft and identity leaks that could put the user and their private information at risk. The big issue is that many Americans are sacrificing their privacy for convenience. The guest is Gary Miliefsky, founder and CEO of SnoopWall-dot-com`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 820, Jan 6 at 0300 UT, as I am trying to dig out the UNID [q.v.] under WBAP, I note its ID ``WBAP 820 and 99.5 HD2``, and then second ID to be completely legal (?) on 820 adds ``KPLX HD2``. WBAP has been with ABC News, but not any more? Locally-originated news on the hour, while the unID is ABC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-CUSB, Jan 4 at 0146 UT, nulling KRVN, hear a mention of Monument Valley from E/W, soon obvious play-by-play in English of some silly ballgame, not sure which, but it`s divided into halves; also involving some Falcons, long pauses, crowd noises. So KHAC Tse Bonito NM has broken away from gospel-huxtering for something more important. And as usual on day facility of 10 kW ND instead of 430 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Jan 2 at 2133 UT on caradio, emerging thru the QRM here, ad says ``north of highway 75 and 121``. US 75 goes right thru Dallas TX, so I bet it`s KFXR. Yes: detailed atlas map of city shows intersexion with state hwy 121 just south of McKinney at Fairview. What are the chances of two other same-numbered hiways meeting somewhere else with an 1190 station? US 75 used to run border to border, but now goes from the NW corner of Minnesota at the Manitoba/ND border and stops at Dallas instead of Galveston. Thus I have turned what could have been an unID 13-syllable log into a minor learning experience (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1257-1283 kHz, Jan 2 at 2119 UT on caradio, IBOC noise infesting KSOK 1280 and somewhat audible on the hi side, from Spanish station on 1270, no doubt KFLC Fort Worth TX already on skywave, 130 minutes before our sunset (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Jan 4 at 0143 UT tune-by ``here on Radio Jalapeño, KEDA`` pronounced in English, then ad in Span[gl]ish from San Antonio TX. This is usual dominant night signal here instead of KXEL IA which has a deep null toward the south. KEDA night pattern with 1 kW toward the WNW is not at all favorable for us either, while 5 kW day pattern is less rigid. KEDA easily overleaps 1540 KZMP The Metroplex, also Spanish but ESPN Deportes, with less power and mostly to its east.

1540, Jan 6 at 0245 UT, ``KEDA, Radio Jalapeño`` ID from San Antonio TX, immediately upon tune-by. Suspect they are frequent, good for DXing. Again the dominant signal on frequency despite nominally unfavorable power and pattern as previously explained (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===================

UNIDENTIFIED. 820, Jan 6 at 0253 UT, I`m getting English CCI to WBAP,; nulling it as much as possible, and also trying to minimize the IBOC noise from WCCO by tuning to 822. The unID peaks about ESE/WNW, and the two make a slow SAH of 45/minute = 0.75 Hz, the unID on the hi side. I`m hoping to pull an ID circa 0300 UT, but by 0257 it`s losing out to WBAP. After 0300 WBAP is doing local news, while unID is in national, including Motel 6 ad; 0305 UT mentions ABC News, and both back to separate talk shows. NRC AM Log lists stations in New York and Oregon with ABC on 820, both very unlikely.

Trying to find an ABC affiliate listing on various websites gets nowhere, as ``affiliates`` linx are for *stations*, not *listeners*.
And would you believe this site easily Googled,
http://affiliates.abcnewsradioonline.com/
is headed ``latest updates`` about their upcoming coverage of the Atlantis Space Shuttle landing on May 26, 2010????????

Anyhow as of January 1, ABC networks have been revamped, ending a deal with Cumulus, now with Skyview; press reports say there are many new affiliates signing up.

Setting aside the network clue for now, but going with the DF, I have heard before 50/1 kW WWBA Largo FL, Oct 7, 2013 at 0607 UT, IDed by its echoing against WBAP during WBAP-originated Red Eye Radio, but did not log a SAH.

Now I try this: http://www.myradiobase.de/mediumwave/mwoffset.txt
to find that in 2013y, WBAP was right on 820.000 while WWBA was 0.5 Hz low on 819.9995, so no match there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1240.13 approx., Jan 2 at 1445 UT, somestation is off-frequency to the hi side making a LAH pitch of approx. C3 = one octave below middle-C on my keyboard. Peaks WNW/ESE. At this time an hour after sunrise, it can`t be too far away and more likely west than east. Looks like one of the four Coloradans would be most likely, closest being KCRT Trinidad. (BTW, why isn`t there a single 1240 in Utah??) During daytime groundwave here, no such het is heard, between Wichita and Elk City. I would also settle for much-needed KBEL Idabel OK or even KOKL Okmulgee.

1240+, Jan 3 at 0350 UT, that off-frequency station to the hi side making a LAH against the graveyard pileup is audible again now as well as after sunrise, and again DFs for ESE/WNW.

1240+, Jan 6 at 0247 UT, off-frequency station still heard causing LAH but quite weak, and unlikely ever to be able get any modulation or ID here, but still loops WNW/ESE. Could DXers in Colorado check on daytime groundwave whether it`s KCRT Trinidad as I suspect, or one of the others? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---