Re: [IRCA] Rosined Radio Help Needed

Hi James,

This issue of the sticky Eton cases has been thoroughly discussed in the
Eton-E1-XM-Radio forum on YahooGroups. The consensus is that nothing is
better at removing the sticky mess than 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. (The
weaker 70% solution of isopropyl is much harder to work with on the radio's
case.)

I removed the sticky finish from my current E1XM and it looks and feels
great now, very much like the smooth finish on a Sony ICF-2010. It is far
less work if you can disassemble the radio from the plastic pieces, and
soak the sticky parts in a tray of the alcohol (fully submerged). After 15
minutes or so, the coating turns to a gooey gel  and starts to lift or
float off the pieces. If you are unwilling to take apart the radio, be
prepared for *lots* of effort and elbow grease. One of the keys here is to
always use a fresh part of a towel or clean rag to rub and remove bits of
the coating. If you use a part of the rag or towel that you've already
removed coating with, it'll just put more sticky coating back on the
radio's case.

Also, if you get the alcohol on the clear plastic window of the display, be
prepared to buff it with plastic cleaner to bring back the clarity... it's
likely that the clear plastic will turn whitish or foggy from the alcohol.
Also, the light grey lettering on the E1's case is underneath the clear
sticky finish, and unless you have the finesse of a gorilla you won't
remove any lettering or damage the case's color or surface.

Some E1/E1XM owners have used products like Pledge furniture polish to
reduce the stickiness of the finish without actually removing it. This is
what I did before I decided to fully *remove* the coating.

BTW, the problem exists in the first place because the coating breaks down
to age and moisture absorption. There's lots of talk about the chemistry of
the failed coating in the Eton-E1-XM-Radio YahooGroup, as well as overall
tips and experiences.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA