Re: [IRCA] November 8-10 Grayland DXpedition Report

--- Begin Message ---
I enjoyed reading your report as usual, Gary. :)
Something I've been thinking about re: your reception reports..."Signals that pegged the meter at 25 dB S/N" ...
I'd like to see some distinction if possible (especially on future reports) between stations that merely flash 25 dB briefly once or a few times during the session when you're in the +/- 1 kHz BW setting, versus stations that have it solidly pegged at 25 dB S/N even in the +/- 6 kHz BW setting, or something like that. :)
Also, while the giant FSLs are interesting, I'm also interested in learning more about smaller affordable FSLs. ÂI'm especially interested in ones such that the FSL *AND* ULR combined fit within the 20 cubic inches and $100 cost of ULR definitions. :) ÂAlso what about using ultra-short rods to build an FSL around the perimeter of a hollowed-out ULR, for example taking the shell of a DT-400W, putting an SRF-59's guts in it and putting an FSL around its perimeter? ÂAt what point, when going ultra-small/cheap with an FSL, is it better to just use a comparable-size/price ferrite bar or a simple air-core loop or something like that?
73, StephenEl Cajon, CA (haven't really done any TP DXing this fall, but based on your reports from Puyallup, I guess I haven't missed out on much.)