[IRCA] Imagination Level DXing at Nehalem Bay State Park, Oregon

Nick and Gary can rest assured they aren't missing sterling DX conditions
at Grayland or elsewhere on the Pacific NW Beaches! I'm two nights into a
DXpedition at the Oregon coast, and I have heard no TP DX other than a few
1st tier Japanese and Korean stations, and the ever-present Tahiti on 738.

I've been recording 90 to 60 meters on a 2nd SDR, and tropical bands
reception has been somewhat better than MW. Too bad that the stations on
shortwave are so few and far between now.

The clear, sunny skies have been a mixed blessing on this trip. During the
days I've been experimenting with 1- and 2-meter diameter phased loops and
it's been great not to have to slog through wind and rain to accomplish
even a minor outdoor task. However, humid, cold nights around 32 degrees F.
means that even with an extra heater in the state park yurt (cabin) it
barely makes it to 55 degrees inside.

Like last year this time, my son-in-law accompanied me to the coast. He's
having a lot more success with his star photos and night time photography
hobby than I am with DXing :^(

Still, I think it's good to view a DXpedition as an avid fisherman sees his
fishing trips: even if you get "skunked" it's fun to be in the great
outdoors again and away from the routines of daily life.

73,

Guy Atkins
Digging for DX without much success at
Nehalem Bay State Park, Oregon