[IRCA] Grayland, WA Ultralight TP's for 11-8 (Conclusion)

Hello All,

An impromptu weekend run to Grayland kicked off with a bang this morning with Japanese, Korean and Chinese stations all pounding in for a wildÂ4 hourÂsession. A new 17" FSL antenna was set up near the picnic table at the end of Grayland Beach road, andÂit managed to track down at least 15 Asians which pegged the PL-380's S/N readout.

The deserted beach was clear and cold at my 1115 UTC (0315 local) start time, but the big gunÂJapanese and Koreans on 594, 747, 972, 1134 and 1566 had already reached S9 levels an hour before inside my Grayland Motel Room 11 ($65 a night, with absolutely no frills). Hurrying to the cold beach IÂbrought along the 30" loopstick ICF-2010 spotting receiver, 12" Longwave FSL and the new 17" DXpedition FSL-- all of themÂvery largeÂitems that could never be accommodated in my Toyota Corolla duringÂprevious "family vacations." DespiteÂGrayland's lack of any ocean cliff, the fanatical gear was out for bear.

Powerful Asian signals were all over the band in total darkness at 1115 UTC,Âthree full hours before sunrise. Temporarily ignoring the Japanese and Korean big guns I went after some second-tier Asians like 603-HLSA, 657-Pyongyang, 1044-CRI and 1323-CRI, all of which pounded in with serious strength. Wild S9 snarls were on 1044 (CRI and KBS) and 1134 (JOQR and KBS), while the multiple 1035-CNR1 stations sounded like an echo chamber. Almost all the usual Asian big guns were atÂblowtorch levels, including the high band TP's on 1566 and 1575. As the wild session continued a sunrise enhancement boost around 1430 brought up the strength of Chinese middle and high band stations, with 936-Anhui, 981-CNR1, 1377-CNR1 and 1593-CNR1 all getting a serious boost. The Japanese second-tier stations like 954-JOKR also tapped into the boost, while 603-China finally managed to show up weakly under an S9+ HLSA. The CRI stations on the middle and high band were at awesome levels after the sunrise enhancement boost, and quickly took over contested frequencies like 1044. The big gun Japanese and Korean stationsÂwere still going strong in bright daylight after 1600, but I was not. My MP3 recorder was maxed out, and four hours in the 41 degree cold and wind had taken its toll. After returning to Room 11 at 1615ÂI checked 972-HLCA's signal, and it was still pounding in at an S9+ level right up until 1635. Overall, the ocean beach session was just what the doctor ordered-- for a land-locked DXerÂseriously bored by mediocre inland TP propagation. I wish that all the other inland TP-DXers could have been along for the wild ride-- especially the ones far inland (who patiently dig out weak TP audio in places like Oklahoma and Alberta).

(Stations which pegged the PL-380 S/N during the MP3 recording are marked with a double asterisk **)Â

603 HLSA Namyang, S. Korea Pounding disco music at 1321; totally dominant over a weak 603-China this morning
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/a2jl275zbgcpvir/603-HLSA-1321z110814PL380.MP3 Â

657Â Pyongyang BSÂÂ Pyongyang, N. KoreaÂÂ Angry Korean tirade woman atÂirritating level around 1333
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/10cn306geba1m9p/657-Pyongyang-1333z110814PL380.MP3

1035Â CNR1ÂÂ China SynchrosÂÂ Multiple Chinese stations poorly synchronized, resulting in echo chamber effect during YL speech at 1401
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d3aa5mcd3sh3usd/1035-CNR1-echo-1401z110814PL380.MP3 Â

**1044Â KBSÂÂ (Samcheok, S. Korea) + CRIÂ (Changzhou, China)ÂÂ The 10 kW Korean station fights it out with the 600 kW Chinese station in a wild S9+ snarl, holding its own temporarily at 1254Âwith Korean male speech over CRI's music
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d7txapvgj3krm7p/1044-KBS-CRImix-1254z110814PL380.MP3 Â

**1044Â CRIÂÂ (Changzhou, China) + KBSÂ (Samcheok, S. Korea)ÂÂÂ CRI's 600 kW Japanese service finally dispatches the 10 kW Korean station at 1355, finishing up with an S9+ level Japanese signal pegging the PL-380 S/N display
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/vfjfa7o5r73c78q/1044-CRI-KBSmix-1355z110814PL380.MP3 Â

**1134Â JOQRÂ Â(Tokyo, Japan) + KBSÂÂ (Hwaseong, S. KoreaÂÂ Another wild fight-- theÂJapanese commercial station's giggly program holds the edge over the 500 kW Korean with an S/N pegging signal
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/nbj5yk5qfmaiz6n/1134-JOQR-KBSmix-1355z110814PL380.MP3 Â

**1206Â CRIÂ ÂYanbian, ChinaÂÂ CRI's Korean service at an awesome level after a sunrise enhancement boost around 1527
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/tf7mubya6ronn1z/1206-CRI-1527z110814PL380.MP3 Â

1323Â CRIÂÂ Huadian, ChinaÂÂ CRI's Russian service at an excellent level while still in total darkness around 1250
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/22fbs4cpbcv3pjf/1323-CRI-1250z110814PL380.MP3 Â

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at Grayland, WA)
7.5" loopstick Tecsun PL-380 UltralightÂÂ
http://www.mediafire.com/view/du3sr5cd9thqvau/7.5inch-LS-PL380.doc
+Â17" DXpedition FSL antenna
http://www.mediafire.com/view/n85a6ppdz9a7uuo/17inchDXFSL.jpg

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ