[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 15-21, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications
in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page25

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified,
separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 780, Aug 21 at 0542 UT, open carrier obviously groundwave from 250-watt daytimer KSPI Stillwater, more than occupying the null of WBBM at approx. right-angle, otherwise making fast SAH with it. Next check 1050 UT, still OC, atop country music, no doubt KCEG Fountain CO from the backside. By next2 check 1115 UT, KSPI now modulating with CBS Sports talk, tsk2 vs WBBM regular CBS. Later in the mornings (from 1205 UT?) KSPI normally does local talk, not entirely sportive (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Aug 18 at 0501 UT, As for KGWA, with it totally non-nulled, I can still barely detect audio // from sibling country music 103.1 KOFM bleeding thru. I expect it`s there all the time, but normally blown away by KGWA`s own mostly-talk modulation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1530, Aug 16 at 0602 UT, instead of CO or TX cheaters instead of WCKY, dominating is Mexican music and ``Quebuenatulsa.com`` ID. That website however leads to 1270! Whatever the identity mixup, the 1530 facility, FCC #61985, is licensed as 5 kW direxional DAYTIME ONLY as KXTD in Wagoner.

Apologists for daytimers running at night have explained that it`s easy for the automation to fail to turn off the signal at sundown, following a power failure, glitch, not properly reset --- well, tough, there is still supposed to be somehuman in charge of the whole thing to take care of that! (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1530, Aug 18 at 0204 UT, Mexican music dominates frequency, 0205 UT ``Durante el verano, nadie toca más música que La Qué Buena, 15-30 AM, AM, AM`` canned ID. 0504 UT recheck still on and dominant, 5 kW daytimer KXTD still cheating. Another check at 0552 UT, still dominant, no BS audible from WCKY! Canned ID now for La Qué Buena (¿why don`t they misspell it Ke?) sure sounds like ``Mil sesenta de AM``, i.e. 1060, but that doesn`t make sense unless they are using some other station`s ID package. No LQB`s listed on 1060 in last year`s NRC AM Log (nor 1070 which sounds almost identical in Spanish). Closest Tulsan is on 1050, not SS.

KXTD direxional-daytime pattern is figure-8, NW/SE, or rather major lobes centred on 140/325 degrees, reduced signal toward Enid but not in a null, so that may be out of whack too. Deep null toward WCKY, of course.
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/109024-22861.pdf
Not sure where the site is, no map link at FCC AM Query, but COL Wagoner is about 30-35 miles ESE of Tulsa. This
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KXTD&service=AM&status=L&hours=D
shows site close to Wagoner, a little toward Tulsa. As for night operation, maybe after the weekend, someone will fix it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1530, Aug 19 at 0607 UT, KXTD 5 kW ``daytimer`` COL Wagoner is still running all-night with Mexican music, non-ID as ``impactando --- La Qué Buena, 15-30 de AM, Qué Buena!!!!!!``. Altho I habitually check it at least at bedtime, I`m sure it`s just the same from August sunset onward, 0115-1145 UT sunrise; September (if not fixed by then!) 0030-1200 UT. This thing totally blox my access to the other recent all-night 1530 cheaters, KLBW New Boston TX, and KCMN Colorado Springs CO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1530, Aug 20 at 0526 UT, Mexican music, and ``La Qué Buena`` dominating channel, KXTD Wagoner OK 5 kW daytimer still operating illegally at night. If this is accidental, one might wonder howcome there is any programming available when it is supposed to be totally off the air (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1735, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Aug 18 at 0204 UT, dead air, but only briefly until ``KZLS, Enid-Oklahoma City, The Eagle`` ID. I`m amazed that references of X-band stations continue to ignore the fact, as I have reported repeatedly and now reassert, that while main format is talk, KZLS *still* has some hours of country music simulcast with KNAH 99.7, IDs as ``Hank FM``. So am I wasting my time reporting such details when no one pays attention to them? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1650, Aug 15 at 0622 UT, dead air again from KYHN Sallisaw instead of `Red Eye Radio`, atop CCI from two or three other 1650s, not including Mexico City which still eludes me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=========================

** U S A. 750, Aug 21 at 0541 UT, KAMA El Paso is *still* running 10 kW day power and/or non-direxional, totally dominating frequency instead of WSB Atlanta which it is obliged to protect. Spanish call-in talk format; still the case at next check 1049 UT, caller about a terremoto, making slow SAH with algo, WSB? 1124 UT with Univisión América ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Aug 21 at 1125 UT, ``Newsradio 770, KKOB`` ID and Dr. Sanjay Gupta, good signal. At this early hour, Albuquerque should still be on night pattern with null toward WABC. As usual we are uncertain whether a bit of the 50 kW may be bleeding around the null not exactly toward us too; or the 230-watt ND filler in Santa Fe which operates only while the main rig is on DA.

Attn CPC test arrangers: as I suggested years ago, but it never happened, try to get KKOB to do a DX test by turning off the main transmitter, however briefly, while still modulating the Santa Fean, so tuners can be certain that`s what they are picking up (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 910, Aug 21 at 1113 UT, ``91-Country KCJB`` ID in passing, notice of school opening delay until 10 am somewhere around Minot ND, due to power outage caused by lightning (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Aug 21 at 1109 UT, large steady open carrier, WSW/ENE, so no doubt KIJN Farwell TX, perpetually cheating daytimer; at least not modulating now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Aug 15 at 0621 UT, ``Classic Country 16-80`` non-ID and music, loops NW/SE, CCI with financial advice from presumed KGED Fresno. So KRJO Monroe LA is back on the air after several weeks` hiatus. Classic Country was its previous identity as early as Sept 24, 2013, when I logged it, a change made after the NRC AM Log 2013-2014 which went to press about August 1 showing NWS/BIZ format. Still shows Classic Country 1680 on website http://www.krjo.com which is nothing but a listen link. So our clear shot to KGED is over. QSL manager Patrick Martin has not answered two reports I sent him (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Aug 16 at 0147 UT, fast SAH resolves into barely non-ID as ``Classic Country 1680``, so KRJO Monroe LA again. Quite a weak signal compared to those on all other X-band channels as far away as Chicago, so I again suspect, as I did before last crash, that they are not running full 1 kW night power. KAZ found it odd that I never mention hearing another 1680, KNTS Seattle, until measuring that it`s quite a bit farther from me than KGED Fresno, beyond single-hop range. True, I`ve yet to get KNTS (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1735, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Aug 20 at 0518 UT, national adstring including Truecar.com (?), 0519 UT US Tax Shelters, 0520 UT DISH network; 0522 UT finally ``Classic Country 16-80`` and back to music. Until then thought I might have had KGED from CA again. Deep fades, still unseems like full nite power of 1 kW ND from KRJO Monroe LA only some 400 miles away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, Aug 20 at 0516 UT, promo in English mentioning KEDA and Texas; that`s the 1540 Tejano station in San Antonio, and then on to IDs in English for The Metroplex Tejano here, ``Kick 1700``, KKLF. Are these stations related? Yes! Both licensed to Claro Communications, per FCC AM Query. Maybe they even simulcast except for local ads and announcements (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 840, Aug 21 at 0544 UT, romantic music in Spanish with WHAS nulled, while DF of this signal is close to N/S from here. 0545 UT non-ID slogan as ``noticias, deportes, entretenimiento todo el día; 840 AM te escucha``, more romx. Format doesn`t fit for any of the listed Mexicans in the IRCA Log. DF fits for KVJY Pharr (RGV) TX, but which in the NRC AM Log of last year was NWS/TLK ``Informativa 840``; while Radio-locator.com now calls it Radio Luz, which implies religion. 1 kW at night, it has a null toward WHAS but some signal to the north. Altho DF seemed wrong, another possibility in WHAS null would be CMHW in Santa Clara, CUBA; would the slogan above fit it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---