[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, August 8-21, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Hauser

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page25

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 540, Aug 21 at 0535, dominating is Mexican music from WSW, ID as frequently expected at 0537, ``La Ranchera de Paquimé``, i.e. XETX, Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, despite its 1 kW night, vs 150 kW ND listed XEWA San Luís Potosí, still surely way underpowered now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 580, Aug 21 at 1046, music and live DJ with 14:6 timecheck and at 1047, 13:6, temps in C&F so certainly on the border, and no doubt XEMU Piedras Negras, Coahuila, making 68/min SAH = 1.13 Hz with WIBW in KS, and close to collinear so I can`t null one or the other. WIBW is closer, stronger and beaming our way, but XEMU is non-direxional also with southern advantage. Slogan I took as ``La Ranchita`` but maybe really the listed ``Rancherita`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Aug 21 at 1121, open carrier with hum, from SW/NE, which we`ve previously traced to XEGD, Hidalgo del Parral, Chihuahua. By 1130 probably same station now modulating with federal PSAs including one for the SEP, ads, program promo. Still some hum detectable but much less than with OC when the AVC boosts it up (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 710.0, Aug 21 at 1116, preacher we`ve heard before altho in good Spanish, has slight accent, or is it merely over-emphasized evangelistic? I think he`s the same one who sometimes preaches here in Low German. Closes at 1128 as ``La Biblia Dice``, but local rather than syndicated, with Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua address and phone; 1129 XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc jingle and into secular music main format. 5.5 hours earlier, this frequency had a big het on it, believed to be same XEDP, but with different or constantly jumpy transmitter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 840, Aug 21 at 0544 UT, romantic music in Spanish with WHAS nulled, while DF of this signal is close to N/S from here. 0545 UT non-ID slogan as ``noticias, deportes, entretenimiento todo el día; 840 AM te escucha``, more romx. Format doesn`t fit for any of the listed Mexicans in the IRCA Log. DF fits for KVJY Pharr (RGV) TX, but which in the NRC AM Log of last year was NWS/TLK ``Informativa 840``; while Radio-locator.com now calls it Radio Luz, which implies religion. 1 kW at night, it has a null toward WHAS but some signal to the north. Altho DF seemed wrong, another possibility in WHAS null would be CMHW in Santa Clara, CUBA; would the slogan above fit it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 840, Aug 21 at 1057 UT, another try at the unID Spanish I was hearing 5+ hours earlier, now says ``Fórmula, detrás de las noticias, Grupo Fórmula`` . . . ``1,500 AM``. 1058 UT into choral Mex NA, and I make the mistake of tuning away, for at 1100 UT it`s already over and into news. Trouble is, I can`t find any Fórmula stations listed on 840, in Cantú or IRCA; and the Fórmula website is totally unhelpful, no station lists found.

1500, however, surely refers to their ``segunda cadena`` flagship XEDF in the DF (replacing what was one of our favorites relayed on SW sesquidecades ago, XERH/XEHR ``desde la muy noble y real Ciudad de México`` on 11880). That doesn`t necessarily mean this 840 station is on the Fórmula-2 net; it could have been just cross-promotion on the -1 net originating with 970 XERFR. Presumably not the same as the other 840 unID in Spanish. Fórmula has this annoying habit of constantly referring to and IDing for the flagship frequency in Mexico City, meaningless and confusing on the numerous affiliates (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 960, Aug 18 at 0501 UT, another Fox-hole, five minutes of dead air on local KGWA instead of Fox ``news``. I still check this periodically altho not every night, and sometimes there is no hole. With open carrier nulled, I now hear choral Mexican NA, 0503 XEK ID from Nuevo Laredo, still proudly asserting its birth in 1937y. A night or two ago the NA did not start until 0504.

As for KGWA, with it totally non-nulled, I can still barely detect audio // from sibling country music 103.1 KOFM bleeding thru. I expect it`s there all the time, but normally blown away by KGWA`s own mostly-talk modulation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. 2850, Aug 15 at 1201, emphatic Korean talk, as the KCBS hi-MW outlet is making it thru very poorly a bit after sunrise here at 1149 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---