[IRCA] Pat / Facebook

--- Begin Message ---
First of all I'm glad to see that things are going well with Pat Martin.

Many DXers tend to "go dormant" this time of the year. Certainly here in the northeast US, lightning has a lot to do with it. Some just shut down their activities even though some good DX can still be enjoyed during dry high-pressure weather when static-causing storms are pushed at least 500 miles out of the way on bearings of DX interest.

Some of us take advantage of this time of year in terms of the sunset / sunrise terminator tending to put DX from below the equator more in the forefront. Here in the east we're talking Brazil and maybe even Argentina, at least for those close enough to the seashore. I've reported some of these from here on Cape Cod. Brett Saylor's recent trip to Cape Hatteras, NC produced decent Brazilian activity as well. Deep Africans should also be part of the plan but, other than VOA Sao Tome (1530), there aren't that many decent-power stations from sub-equatorial Africa anymore now that everyone's going to FM, satellite, and webcasting.

Up in Newfoundland, Allen Willie is continuing to knock 'em dead just as Gary and Chuck are doing out in Oregon. Short story: There is no substitute for being right on the ocean ... especially at this time of year. In autumn / winter, big Europeans can get several hundred miles inland at least to the Great Lakes area and the major Japanese make it as far east as Oklahoma pretty often. But in late spring / summer, when we're concentrating on trans-equatorial long-hauls (5000+ miles), you really have to be at a site where you smell salt spray and hear seagulls.

As far as Facebook goes, I am aware of some of the privacy concerns. You have to be careful of security settings, whom you choose as "friends", and what you post. Consider that, one way or another, anything posted can become public even if you thought otherwise. If you've just downed a six-pack, not only should you not be driving but you shouldn't be posting on social media either.

I do use Facebook (at times) since it brings the ability to communicate many interests to many people. You can also communicate with companies you patronize as well as with its other customers. Of course DX, the broadcasting business, ham radio, and electronics design are high on my interest list. This IRCA reflector and a few other e-mail lists and Yahoogroups do a fair to good job covering those. But I also enjoy talking about music, travel, photography, language / dialect study, architecture, cars, trains, TV, '50s/'60s nostalgia (diners, drive-ins, jukeboxes, and so on), gardening / botany, weather, sports, tools / d-i-y, and history (local, WW2, etc.) - among other things. Understandably a list such as IRCA or NRC is not going to accommodate lengthy "off topic" discussions about coffee or public transit or spy novels. DXpedition reports (Newfie, PEI, Grayland, Haida Gwaii, Rockworks, etc.) have always had a bits of "human interest" narrative beyond the raw loggings and technical details. But those have always been just a little spice to make the report a bit more readable rather than just having the dry details. You couldn't, on the other hand, go into great detail about salmon dinners and white wine you enjoyed and then a quick blurb "Oh yeah, we heard some DX too."

Facebook, on the other hand, often provides varied insights into people you know from hobbies, work, school, family, etc. Sometimes Facebook "friends" from different spheres of one's life read about a formerly-unknown common interest and wind up gaining useful new connections possibly even leading to professional advancement. Sometimes a person I know quite well for one particular interest turns out to have other interests that are equally (or more) valuable to my exploration of knowledge. Some examples include: Local DXer Bruce Conti also happens to be a serious bird photographer. Boston Radio Interest Group member Kevin Vahey is also (perhaps) the biggest Red Sox fan and basically a sports encyclopedia. Shortwave / ham guru Skip Arey is also a huge fan of Celtic music. He and I have had several Facebook chats about the merits of singers such as Maddy Prior and Sandy Denny. There are numerous special-interest groups on there including, of course, the NRC, IRCA, and Medium Wave Circle ones. Paul Walker's transmitter sites group is worth mentioning. Some of these groups have greater participation and enthusiasm levels than some of the older-school radio-related e-mail reflectors / Yahoogroups. The ability to include photographs is a big selling point. Of course I'm on those DX groups but, among other things, I'm also on several for plant identification, a couple for my favorite singer (Helen Shapiro), one about the '64/'65 NY World's Fair, a WJIB/WJTO fan page (where users often post oldies music selections from YouTube), and several about my old hometown of Arlington, MA. These are just some. There are often links to full-length books and archived magazines (on many topics) in PDF files you can save to your local drive. I don't know where else on the internet I could have this sort of "one stop shopping" at low / no cost for a wide variety of interests and how I could otherwise connect with as many resources of information as well as enabling others from different spheres of my life to make similar connections, often to those of whom they had no previous knowledge (at least within a particular interest domain).

A downside, beside privacy concerns, is simply "too much information" - once you get above 100-or-so "friends", even a few hours of aggregate newfeed activity can take a substantial amount of time to read and process. You are mining for about 5 to 10 percent "gold nuggets" out of the remaining slurry of irrelevant "here's a crummy out-of-focus picture of my cute kitty" and the inevitable political / religious axe-grinding. If you're off Facebook for a few days, many potentially useful newsfeed items have been shoved so far down the line at that point that you are likely never to see them unless you look at specific "friends" known to post quality items. This is definitely a case of exercising moderation. If you're blowing away several hours daily in front of your computer, you could be ignoring necessary / desirable in-person interactions, errands, exercise, work, prayer, proper diet, sleep, and - yes - actual DXing. I have at times deactivated my account. Sometimes, despite the attraction of such an "information shopping mall", you just have to give it a rest.

Off soapbox.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
I am not on Facebook all that much. I added some comments the other day, but I still check it from time to time. But I am very much alive and well and plan to
be in Billings in Sept with Dave Williams.
73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR