[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight DU's for 7-17...Wild!

--- Begin Message ---

Hello All,

Chuck and I again hit the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff around 1100 UTC this early morning, with Chuck setting up his small flag antenna for Perseus-SDR spectrum capture, and my own 15" FSL antenna and PL-380 Ultralight radio set up for independent DXing about 100 feet southeast at the same Highway 101 turnoff. Strong New Zealand propagation was again in effect throughout sunrise enhancement, although some weak Australian signals did come out of the noise way under the Kiwis.

My top priority was to go after the very obscure 2.5 kW New Zealand station 576-The Word, which had apparently never been received on the North American west coast because of the Aussie big gun 2RN on the same frequency. A trace of this station showed up yesterday at the cliff, but I was out for solid evidence. My luck held up as the twisted Kiwi propagation prevailed for yet another morning, providing solid reception of DU English Bible reading on 576-The Word at 1246. In addition the Kiwi-slanted propagation provided the strongest MP3 yet of Chinese from the 1 kW station 936-Chinese Voice in Auckland, and in the freakish signal category, the strongest DU signal that I've ever heard (during any DXpedition) from 531-PI at 1253. Chuck and I shared notes at various times during the morning session, and it was great having an experienced DXer offering his perspective on the freakish New Zealand propagation. Rockwork 4 is definitely a unique place-- the perfect cure for any DXing boredom!

531  PI   Auckland, NZ  (5 kW)   Freakishly strong signal with a Samoan call-in program at 1253-- the strongest DU signal
               that I've ever heard http://www.mediafire.com/listen/azwdpwb6zj2x0q4/531-PI-1253z071714PL380.MP3

531  UnID Australian   A big surprise-- an Australian pop music station showing up way under the nuclear-powered 531-PI
               at 1233. Unfortunately the Australian just didn't have the steam to get through the Kiwi-slanted propagation with
               any real identity clues. This was the first DU competition that 531-PI has had for 5 days at the Cliff
               http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7baj6r0w1y0yx7y/531-UnID-Aussie-1233z071714PL380.MP3

576  The Word Radio   Hamilton, NZ  (2.5 kW)   Very obscure Kiwi station with fair-level Bible reading at 1246, fading into
               a mix with (apparently) a weak 2RN signal. Twisted Kiwi propagation provided this bizarre logging
               http://www.mediafire.com/listen/o38siapebaec7i8/576-TheWordRadio-1246z071714PL380.MP3

585  UnID  Australian   The mystery of the morning-- a weak DU English station not // with 603-R. Waatea (i.e. not the Kiwi
               Maori station Radio Ngati Porou) with male-female speech at 1238. Previous experience would indicate that this
               might be 585-2WEB ("Outback Radio"), but I have no definite clues
               http://www.mediafire.com/listen/sx699ey6dnss8qv/585-UnID-DU-1238z071714PL380.MP3
               Apparently the same station, with weak music at 1313. If someone knows this song title, I would appreciate the
               information (2WEB's David Sharp is a member of our Ultralight group, and can check a song title in his log)
               http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7bvvjk8rpstnj18/585-UnID-DU-1313z071714PL380.MP3

603  Radio Waatea   Auckland, NZ  (5kW)   Maori music and speech at typical strength at 1240, // 765-R.kahungunu
               http://www.mediafire.com/listen/o3o8n74a4730ja4/603-R.Waatea-1240z071714PL380.MP3

828  UnID-DU   Female DU speech at 1303, most likely from the 2 kW NZ station Radio Trackside/ Live Sport due to
               freakish Kiwi propagation
               http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7wxyhp0fgq3dga5/837-UnID-DU-1223z071714PL380.MP3

936  Chinese Voice   Auckland, NZ  (1 kW)  Chinese at fair level from this very low powered Kiwi station-- an apparent
              DX distance record for Ultralight radio reception of a 1 kW station in North America (but heard by Bill W. at a
              strong level previously at Grayland)
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/br2t5h1q7162523/936-ChineseVoice-1204z071714PL380.MP3

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Cannon Beach, OR)
DXing at the Rockwork 4 ocean side cliff on Highway 101 (Tillamook Co,, OR)
Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight radio + 15" DXpedition FSL antenna

--- End Message ---