[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, July 3-10, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, July 3-10, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page24

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1000, July 3 at 0542 past 0600 UT, KTOK OKC is open carrier/dead air. Is no one paying attention at Clear Channel? Fine with me as that facilitates hearing two XEs --- see MEXICO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, July 4 at 1229 UT, WBBZ Ponca City is reporting a large power outage on the east side of PC, unknown cause but can`t be weather; threatening people on oxygen. Utility no doubt working on restoring, but may be slower due to holiday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, July 6 circa 0245 UT, KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC is again playing country music, no doubt sibling simulcast from KNAH 99.7 Mustang, instead of talk, its major format; recheck July 6 at 1217 UT its third format is dead air with hum (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 570, July 3 at 1954 UT on caradio, counting the SAH that WNAX Yankton SD groundwave makes from more than twice the distance with KLIF Dallas TX: 196/minute = 3.27 Hz. My impression is that the SAH has sped up a bit. On April 27, 2013 I referred to this as a ``slow SAH``, but unfortunately not calculated. MW Offset list has them both, with precise rather than relative frequencies, and measured on different dates in 2011 and 2010y:
569.9970 USA KLIF (Dallas, TX)             20100829
570.0006 USA WNAX (Yankton, SD) [-570.003] 20111217
The figure in brackets means range, altho I don`t get it. The difference here makes 3.6 Hz. WNAX is one of our most distant groundwaves, 722 km/449 statute miles overland, city-to-city.

Re previous log of KLIF at night mentioning 93.3 FM --- this time I hear KLIF ID saying that 570 programming is also on HD2 of 96.3 FM; while 93.3 is the real KLIF-FM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 590, July 4 at 0530 UT, ``ESPN Omaha`` but quite weak about equal to presumed XEPH DF. Wonder if KXSP is QRP? Inaudible at all 24 hours earlier.

590, July 5 at 0502 UT check, ESPN is strong and clear from KXSP Omaha NE (né WOW), after very weak to no signals previously, so back to 5 kW ND for now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, July 7 at 0558 UT, for the first time since June 19, I am not hearing Spanish KAMA El Paso, but really WSB with Herman Cain show (We Suck, Brother!). Maybe KAMA is finally back in whack with null toward east, but bears further checking.

750, July 8 at 0559 UT, for the second night, WSB in the clear with no KAMA QRM from El Paso TX. It could be back to legal night power of 1 kW but only to the west, rather than still STA non-direxional but on illegal day power of 10 kW instead of requested and authorized 250 watts.

750, July 9 at 0559 UT, KAMA El Paso TX is back after absence a couple nights, Spanish atop WSB so again out of whack. 0602 call-in from somewoman in Los Ángeles (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, July 6 at 0550 UT, open carrier/dead air, DF fitting KAAY AR, presumably instead of Brother Scare; what a marked improvement (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, July 6 at 0255 UT, KFAB with sesqui-decade or older Art Bell show as he is recounting how when stationed at Amarillo AFB, he ran a pirate broadcasting station, which even made the ratings book in the city some miles away. Most people didn`t realize it was illegal. WTFK? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, July 4 at 1250 past 1254 UT, open carrier/dead air no doubt from KLEY Wellington KS on groundwave; finally modulating at 1330 UT check. Its 250 watts make for sufficient reception in Enid, 107 km = 66 miles.

1130, July 5 at 0503 UT, SRN News, 0505 UT no ID and into gospel huxter. Fits for direxion of my semi-local KLEY Wellington KS, there being no problem from KWKH, which is supposed to be one watt at night, presumably 250 times that with daytime transmitter. NRC AM Log 2013 does not list SRN for KLEY nor a totally religious format, however. Don`t find any other likely 1130s with SRN either. SRN stands for Salem Radio Network, informally ``slanted radio news`` with its far-right religious agenda. Wasn`t it originally ``Satellite Radio News``?

1130, July 6 at 0502 UT, once again I have missed the ToH ID for suspected KLEY Wellington KS running 250 instead of one watt at night, already in SRN News. Then the hour is filled by `Restaurant Radio` with guest someone who has a show on cable TV`s Food Network; 0557 UT finishing with ad/plug for a taranto.com (?) restaurant in Chicago; show site is http://restaurantradio.tv --- 0559 UT ad for CardGuard, and this time I stay tuned and awake for the next ToH ID at 0600 UT which is: ``The new Radio 11-30, KLEY-AM, Wellington`` plus singing ID of call letters, into more slanted radio news (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1250, July 4 at 1256 UT, Spanish skywave still in from ex-WREN Topeka, i.e. ``La Equis 12-50, La Súper-Estación``, i.e. KYYS Kansas City KS, 25 kW day power. Hi local noise level on SW bands encourages me to MW DX more (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1340, July 4 at 1235 UT, two // sportstalk stations echoing about two words, or one second apart. One of them no doubt our closest KGHM Midwest City OK, and the other KGGS Garden City KS, one of the newest AM stations in the nation. They also make a SAH of 64/minute = 1.07 Hz. Standard remark about co-channel stations failing to coördinate. Skywave is still funxioning a sesquihiour after Enid sunrise at 1118 UT, now on the downside after earliest 1113 UT a month ago (while sunset is now at its latest, 0153 UT): both still in with SAH at 1246 UT but during local ad break so not echoing: ad mentioning Dodge City, Garden City, Liberal. I can mostly null KGHM to get KGGS. 1247 UT they rejoin Fox Sports Radio starting with Fox Sports One (TV) promo. NRC AM Log shows KGGS day power is only 880 watts, but night power 1000; why? Too efficient antenna? Surely it`s not short-spaced to other 1340 graveyarders (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, July 4 at 1236, 1244 and 1257 UT chex, open carrier/dead air from NNW/SSE, doubtless 50 kW KTNO University Park TX (The Metroplex), supposed to be Spanish religion. Not the first time heard doing this, failing to save how many souls as a result?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1490, July 4 at 1237 UT, PSA about watching out for underwater rocks in Missouri lakes, rivers and streams. While visitors from the numerous surrounding states should also be warned about them, strongly suspect this is from a dentro-Missouri station, of which there are three, in Rolla, Sedalia, and the closest in the SW corner, KDMO Carthage, a Joplin suburb; when will they update the name to Tunis? Earlier I was getting 1310 Joplin, and now 1510 off-frequency het from Independence is still audible too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1600, July 6 at 1216 UT tune-by ID in English for KRVA Cockrell Hill-Dallas TX, and right back to Vietnamese. Thank you very much. I don`t think I`ve ever heard the English slogan ``Radio Saigon`` as listed in NRC Log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, July 6 at 0540 UT, I am hearing two stations on different sports-talk nets, and not a hint of music, Tejano, or otherwise; therefore I conclude that KKLF Richardson TX must be off the air, leaving us with KBGG Des Moines IA and KVNS Brownsville TX to make a SAH of 228/minute = 3.8 Hz. Next check at 1219 UT, an hour after LSR, there is some music again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1680, with KRJO Monroe LA off the air for financial reasons, I ought to hear some of the five other US X-banders; July 6 at 0545, there are two very weak signals, one with talk from NE/SW, making a fast SAH, perhaps WPRR, Public Reality Radio in Ada MI, if not the closer but weaker TISes in IA that KAZ has been hearing from IL (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---