Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] Glenn Hauser logs July 3-4, 2014

Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] Glenn Hauser logs July 3-4, 2014

* U S A. 570, July 3 at 1954 UT on caradio, counting the SAH that WNAX
Yankton SD groundwave makes from more than twice the distance with KLIF
Dallas TX: 196/minute = 3.27 Hz. My impression is that the SAH has sped up
a bit. On April 27, 2013 I referred to this as a ``slow SAH``, but
unfortunately not calculated. MW Offset list has them both, with precise
rather than relative frequencies, and measured on different dates in 2011
and 2010y:
569.9970 USA KLIF (Dallas, TX) 20100829
570.0006 USA WNAX (Yankton, SD) [-570.003] 20111217
The figure in brackets means range, altho I don`t get it. The difference
here makes 3.6 Hz. WNAX is one of our most distant groundwaves, 722 km/449
statute miles overland, city-to-city.

Hi Glenn,
I have heard KLIF at 950 miles extremely weakly, occasionally, in the
winter months, in the day under WNAX.  I did verify the audio via Tune-In
app.

My farthest regular groundwave station is 560 KWTO Springfield at 600
miles. Their signal is more noticeable with constant fading in and out
noticed of WEBC with more recognizable audio from KWTO.  Some would say
WIND would be there but I spent 2 weeks verifying the audio under WEBC via
Tune-In before reaching my findings.

This area that I do my daytime dx from is in Burnsville MN at their bit
mall. It is at this location that their is groundwave enhancement mostly
and strongly favoring the SSW/SW. I showed fellow dxer Robert Klinger this
area and how amazing it is for groundwave.
I also have heard 710 KXMR Bismarck only at this location last summer. WDSM
is dominant but KCMO is very audible and almost even with WDSM. The only
way I heard KXMR was when last summer when WDSM & KCMO both had Sean
Hannity and as talk radio goes their can be pregnant pauses allowing me to
hear a EPSN theme music. Now it's much more difficult because KCMO has
different programming now.

As of right now WEBC has been running night pattern during the daytime
since early spring. I don't find this to be to surprising in which I find
it to be in their favor for the vacationers in the summer time to northern
Minnesota.

Other daytime notables:
550 KFYR even with WSAU
580 WIBW just under WKTY
610 KSCR poor under KDAL
650 WSM(skywave winter only) under WNMT who I also believe is not running
full day power currently.
660 KCRO way under WBHR. However last summer WBHR was having problems
during the day with their and was on night power and pattern and KCRO was
even with WBHR.
670 WSCR listenable audio.
680 KFEQ poor under WOGO. I haven't focused very closely on this frequency
yet but I bet CJOB would be in there too.
690 KFXN I throw this in because after almost 3 months they are still on
24/7!
700 WLW  (skywave winter only)
720 WGN Listenable audio too but weaker.
740 KOBE Oskaloosa IA 250w. I throw this in here because even though I have
never heard it because of WDGY,  George Sherman would get this daily back
before Hudson came on the air.
780 WBBM and WJAG weak signals mix evenly here.
790 KFGO audible under WEAR
810 WHB poor mixing with 830 IBOC hash
870 KPRM poor audio but clearly interfered by KAAN.
I caught their sign on a few weeks back. Their hours of operation is 5:30am
-12am. They did mention that they are now at 50kw!
880 KRVN was heard during the day ever so faintly until WMEQ came on the
air.
890 WLS Faint audio
990 KAYL Storm Lake 250w very poor Mexican music.  Signal faded and choppy
with CBW's carrier affecting KAYL. CBW is more audible daytime skywave
winter only.
1070 KILR Estherville, IA 250w also heard much better before KVKK came on.
1100 WZFG DillworthMN/Fargo in fair but still audible after switch to CH
power.
1200 KFNW Fargo very poor.

This was dxing with my car radio in Burnsville,  MN.

When I was in High School in the early 80's my dad and I went Grand Island
NEXT as we often did but this particular trip was unique as we took his 68
Catalina which not only had great power but had the best car radio I had
ever witnessed. It was my Dad who got me interested in dxing and he was
mildly interested in seeing what stations could make it to Grand Island
from Cedar Falls. Only one did. It was the now defunct 850 KLEU. We were
amazed that it was still quite audible under KOA. We both figured it woulda
made it to at least Kearney before disappearing. Granted they had a huge
lobe to the west but they were only 500w.
I do remember only hearing WJR and KRVN with fair signals in Cedar Falls
with that car radio. I wish I had been more alert and tried for more exotic
catches.

Todd Skaine
Woodbury, MN
Sony ICF 2010