[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, June 20-26, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, June 20-26, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page23

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, June 22 at 0500 UT, tuning KGWA Enid to find whether there`s a Fox-hole tonight, instead there is a parody commercial for the ``Oil Slick Adventure Fun Park``, THEN dead air from 0501 to 0505 UT, mainly occupied by ABC News from KMA or KGKL. This is very unusual for KGWA; when there is a hole, it normally starts after the ID right at 0500 UT. No Google hits on that phrase (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** U S A. 550, June 24 at 0548 UT, poor but clear signal looping N/S with news about Kansas: kidnapping in Wichita, mosquitoes; KFRM Salina is a bigsig on daytime 5 kW groundwave with OK officially in its coverage area, but night power is only 110 watts; we are still in its pattern to the southwest. Normally swamped at night by St Louis or San Antonio which are somehow almost absent, neither with lobes favoring us anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. 550, June 25 at 0533 UT, Jim Bohannon show, had not noticed before here, on first repeat as it ends at 0500 UT; loops about NE/SW; so KTRS St Louis or KCRS Midland TX? Neither on the Jimbotalk station finder, in fact the only 550 being WSVA in Harrisonburg/Staunton VA, but it`s on the live run only until 0500 UT, so what`s it? KCRS website does not include Jimbo among hosts, but does have C2CAM. And KCRS does have a nighttime mull toward us, tho traces of it on daytime groundwave under KFRM. Mixing with Red Eye Radio from N/S, which must be KTSA San Antonio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 550, June 26 at 0555 UT, another try at IDing the station with the `Jim Bohannon Show` as heard last night. Again from NE/SW, as he`s wrapping up this hour. I do doze off before 0600 UT, but awaken just in time to hear ID, ``The Big 5-50, KTRS, Saint Louis``, into ABC News, which is several seconds ahead of same on KTSA San Antonio (why in the world don`t big stations on same frequency coöperate and synchronize their programming?? To everyone`s advantage).

KTRS is the obvious station in that direxion, and the first thing I checked on the Jim Bohannon station finder, but it`s *still* missing:
http://www.jimbotalk.net/stationfinder;jsessionid=91C252C08B4470E7071E2B4AEBA8D883?action=stateSearch&state=MO&programID=0
and nothing else in St Louis. You`d think Jim would at least keep up with affiliates in his home state. I suppose this is a recent addition.

Unfortunately, the NRC AM Log 2013 on page xvii does not include Bohannon among ``Networks and Shows that they carry`` among many other national talkhosts.

What a shame that Jimbo lacks outlets in many major markets, where the corporate-controlled clusters would rather air far-right anti-American lunatix than a sensible MOR talkhost. But he is on many minor stations (in Oklahoma, only KXCA-1380 Lawton live; but something at 10:30:00 pm Sundays on KFAQ 1170? That doesn`t make sense).

BTW the station finder mixes in his other show `America in the Morning`, news magazine at 09-10 UT weekdays. Strangely, the (local) times are in the right column along with days of week, while most entries in the ``time`` column read ``null``.

Yes, my Google search on KTRS Saint Louis gets this top hit:
http://www.ktrs.com/jim-bohannon-to-be-heard-overnights-on-the-big-550-ktrs/
This is not a story with any text, ``written by Andrew Dowd``, but a 7:40 video, just dated today June 26, so we beat them to it yesterday.

It`s an interview with local host McGraw Milhaven and sidekickess, about coming on KTRS; says he started ``this week``, at midnight to 4 am (so 3 am CDT must be a repeat of the first hour). Jim explains how he got his big break subbing for Larry King when a mechanic left a wrench in a Cape Cañaveral rocket (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 670, June 21 at 0537 UT, we can totally null WSCR, but no escaping sports talk! Another station occupies that position, ad for BCBS of Texas, but there is no Texan on 670 --- must be close to that, Arkansas` 5 kW daytimer, KHGZ Glenwood, which has been caught cheating several times before. It starts out atop Cuba, making about the same ~4 Hz SAH as with WSCR since those two are close to zero-beat. Back to ESPN Radio, which is not the network on WSCR; 0540 UT another ad break with NW AR`s 479- area code {Glenwood is in the SW quadrant in 870 AC, but close to 479 boundary}, ID copied partially as ``670 AM [and something on FM] --- Hog Talk``, before Cuba regains (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, June 21 at 0529 UT I am rechecking for KAMA, exactly 48 hours after previous log, and it`s a repeat of just about everything: cáncer del seno PSA, but this time I catch a mention of El Paso within it, from Komen foundation; ``mejorando tu vida, con Univisión Radio``, on to national talk show, toll-free numbers with call-in from Flórida, ``buenas tardes; buenas tardes`` so presumably a replay as it`s too late to be tarde, already madrugada there. See previous report for all the confusion about this network being on this frequency in El Paso rather than 920 as Univisión claims. Once again this signal starts out dominant, then fades as WSB resurges; I expect the same is happening all night with KAMA out of whack instead of protecting the Atlantan (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1727, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, June 0602 UT, Spanish from east/west is atop WSB making a fast SAH, no doubt KAMA El Paso TX as previously identified, way out of whack. Am I the only one who has noticed or cares? Certainly not WSB. It`s supposed to be only 1 kW at night direxional westward, but sounds like it`s 10 kW day power, non-direxional or even worse.

Here`s the night pattern plot:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/565598-73092.pdf
showing minimum at 85 degrees, maximum at 265 degrees! It`s dated 9 June 2014: like most of these plots via FCC AM Query, they show up with a very recent date as if they are constantly being updated, instead of set in stone once established. But this one is obviously imaginary compared to what we hear.

Is there anything in KAMA`s Correspondence folder about an STA allowing them to run 10 kW ND at night? No, but this dated April 11, *2013* allows them to run 250 watts ND due to tower damage:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=40468
``TLC states that on March 13, 2013 one of the nighttime only towers
was knocked down by a construction crew. Thus, TLC requests STA to operating [sic] non-directionally with a power of 250 watts during nighttime hours, which is 25% of the station's authorized nighttime power``

So now it looks like they have just recently upped power for this ND authorization already in effect. It`s been ``temporary`` for 14+ months now, and still haven`t replaced the tower? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, June 21 at 0533 UT checking just in case whether El Paso is in with Univisión here too (see 750 log), it`s not but there is open carrier/dead air, and the DF fits for the usual night dominator here, KYFR in Shenandoah IA --- sob, no Harold droning to be heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

NO `Mostly Mexican` MWDX this week, just FM and TV, tsk2

--- End Message ---