Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] NAB proposes TIS Filter change to 5 KHz

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] NAB proposes TIS Filter change to 5 KHz

I remember reading a paper from NASA about understandability and frequency when I was in college (Many Moons ago).

I think the numbers I state are the same as in the paper but could be off but the general idea is the same.

It was found that the understandability of the average male voice was not decreased when frequencies above 3000Hz and below 300Hz were filtered out but for the "average woman" it was 400Hz and 4500Hz respectively. The Author of the paper suggested a switchable voice filter that could be set for male or female Operators/CapComs/Astronauts. I sometimes wonder if men tending to lose hearing on the higher end first isn't a survival tactic ;)

This wasn't an issue until the Shuttle for the US and if I recall it was suggested that the Soviets had been using either a switchable filter or a wider one since the early days of human space flight.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD