[IRCA] Fun DX-ing with SRF-59 ULR.

This morning I thought it would be fun to return to my Ultralight Radio roots and DX using a Sony SRF-59.  The particular receiver is as purchased sometime ago at K-mart.

Stations heard:
730-XEX, México DF (100 kW @ 1904 km/1183 mi).  Música y desporte con "doh-bleh OO" (W) ID's at 0942-1016 GMT.  Fair-to-good strength.

750-XETI, Tempoal VC (10 kW @ 1653 km/1027 mi).  Música at 1048.  Fair signal.  First heard on a SRF-59 in 2008.

760-XEABC, San Sebastan Chimalpa EM (5kW @ 1895 km/1177 mi).  Noticias (mujer) at 1100; música at 1104; ID "ABC Radio" at 1118.  Good signal.

770-XEANT, Tancanhultz SL (10 kW @ 1649 km/1024 mi).  Música y nuncios at 1120-1143.  ID "XEANT" at 1131.  Good strength with unID XE QRM, probably XEACH, from 1136.

1080-KSLL, Price UT (10 kW @ 1220 km/758 mi).  Heard with Rock music over/under KRLD (50 kW at 395 km/245 mi) from 1254 until fade out at 1326 (LSR @ 1208).  ID "Rockin the Kastle Valley".  Heard with aid of seven-inch FSL.

Unlike other SRF-59's I own, this particular one has a fairly accurate AM frequency scale.  Like all, the tuning knob is very stiff and tricky to tune.  I'll never understand why Sony didn't allow more room for turning the knob, like the earlier SRF-39FP.  By shaving some of the plastic away on the case (with an xacto knife and small file), you can the tuning knob more accessible and easier to turn.  Without that modification, one must learn how to fine tune the receiver with their thumbnail.

Overall, the SRF-59 is a good little DX receiver despite the drawback of the poor access to the tuning knob.  I recommend it anyone DX-ing on a tight budget.  And, it works very well with a FSL antenna.  Right now, at 10:30 am LT, I'm listening to a fair signal from 770-KAAM, Garland TX (10kW @ 381 km/237 mi) on the SRF-59 and the FSL.

Good DX.

Richard Allen,
Near Perry OK USA.

Sent from my iPad