[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 21-27, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 21-27, 2014

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page21

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

Last week my single post showed up more than once on some lists. I don`t know why, and I am not doing it!

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Saturday March 22 at 1329 UT, KZLS has another talk show instead of True Oldies, `Under the Hood`, automobilistic (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A. 730, March 26 at 1319 UT, ``Full Service Radio, KLOE`` IDs twice during regional newscast from Goodland KS in the NW corner. Seldom heard in the clear like this, except some splat from 740 KRMG Tulsa; then at 1320 UT, Korean QRM fades up from KKDA in The Metroplex (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, March 27 at 1314 UT tune-in for KKOB to cut onto ND day pattern, but the YB-400 is positioned to null it and instead I am hearing ``I Get Around``, classic rock, 1317 UT segué to ``Company B``, pre-rock era. No doubt KAAM, The Metroplex TX (Garland), a.k.a. Legends 77.

770, meanwhile, on the DX-398 I null KAAM and can also hear KKOB Albuquerque NM after 1315 UT. In April, KKOB will rise at 1230 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, March 27 at 1252 UT, slow band music, a morning staple of KURM Rogers AR (like KKOW 860 Pittsburg KS always plays a polka around 1230 UT), confirmed at 1254 UT by ad for a Springdale home builder. Also with a 2.6 Hz SAH, probably from KFYO Lubbock TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, March 23 at 0121 UT, Mexican music vs KMOX; the music loops southward, partial Spanish ID as ``11-20 AM`` so apparently KTXW Manor TX (Austin market), rather than KEOR Catoosa OK (Tulsa market), daytimer which ought to be off now. But then a stronger open carrier comes on atop KTXW, making SAH of about 4.5 Hz in KMOX null, and this appears to emanate from KEOR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, March 22 for the DX test from KCKM, Monahans TX: I expect to hear it easily as I do when on 12 kW non-direxional day pattern around sunrise. 0500 UT ID as ``the west Texas powerhouse, KCKM``, sung ID and some music, nothing about a DX test yet. It`s already atop my nearest, KNSS Wichita, whose ID I hear at 0503 UT; then at 0504 UT sweep tones start from KCKM. I monitor and record the entire semihour, as KCKM remains atop with only a few brief fades.

Consists of alternating sweep tones, always from low pitch to high, busy signals [rather: ``phone off the hook`` as Rick Dau mentioned], fire-alarm siren & bells; Morse code IDs and other brief DX messages I am yet to copy in detail until I recheck the digital recording; ``on the radio`` jingles; musical piece apparently a TV theme I don`t quite recognize. I logged the repeated times for all these to the minute; there were *no* voice IDs during the test; why not? As the DX test started late, it also ended a bit late, 0533 UT back to another voice ID like at 0500 UT and power drops as music resumes with ``West Virginia``.

Tnx to Bob Souza for running this test, after offering to do so in an unsolicited email I received after logging it last April, and then arranged by Paul Walker, who also supplied the test content. I understand it got out very well across the continent and even to Europe. KCKM did not have a QSL card last year, so I will be reporting for one offered now.

Turning on the radio again at 1320 UT March 22, still tuned to 1330, there`s KCKM atop on regular schedule, discussion of when hereford cattle were introduced to Albany, Shackelford County, which is not around Monahans but northeast of Abilene; then about Robert E Lee at some camp around the Civil War. Program is `Cowboy Corner`, probably syndicated; plug for Western Heritage Awards, April 12 at the Cowboy Museum in OKC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Hi Bob, Many tnx for running the DX test, which I gather has been quite successful. I`m glad that our contact eventually led to it. Also, I wonder if you have started C-QUAM stereo as you said you planned to last year. And could you clarify whether the antenna is 5/8 or halfwave? There has been contradictory info. Thanks, (Glenn Hauser, to Bob Souza, via DXLD)

Glen[n], The C-Quam equipment is installed but not operational yet. My tower is just a foot or two above 1/2 wave, maybe 181 degrees but I just round it down when people ask. So far 37 reports, 33 have MP3 audio attached (Bob Souza, KCKM, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, March 22 at 1330 UT, ad for Fairview Golfcourse, but no research needed, as then ID for ``the New ESPN Radio, St. Joseph``. What`s new about it? KESJ in MO as listed in the 2013 NRC AM Log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)