[IRCA] Morse Code, Sign On/Sign Off Music, and Roosters Crowing in the Morning

[IRCA] Morse Code, Sign On/Sign Off Music, and Roosters Crowing in the Morning

Listening to a jumble of stations on a crowded regional channel at sunset the other day, brought up the very distinctive sound of Taps being played. A quick check of my log revealed that I'd heard this mystery sign-off music on at least two other occasions. A couple of mornings later, I woke up with my bedside radio fixed at 1580 KHz, only to hear the distinctive sound of a rooster crowing it's traditional morning wake-up sound.

Another check of the log revealed that this too had been logged in the past, with no clear indication of which station was airing it.

Other notes in my log include stations that run Morse Code ID's on a regular basis, use Morse Code was part of an intro to their newscast (nothing says "breaking news" like fast paced Morse Code), while others sign on/off with unusual music or sound effects.

All of these could be vital clues for DX'ers trying to put new ones in the log book, if only someone tracked them and complied them into a list. So I'm volunteering for the job. If your locals and semi-locals air any kind of really distinctive program material on a regular basis that you think might help other DX'ers confirm their identity, please send it directly to me, or post it on the lists. I'll keep track of it, and release a complied list.

I can then update it regularly as things change too.

So, anyone playing taps in your area? Any roosters waking you up in the morning? Let us all know!

--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop, LF Engineering Active Whips,
Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector