Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:35 PM
To: mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; am@xxxxxxxxxxx ; amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; mwcircle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AMFMTVDX] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 14-20, 2014

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page21

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

Last week my single post showed up more than once on some lists. I don`t know why, and I am not doing it!

** U S A. 750, March 20 at 1210 UT, YL in Ukrainian with news about – Ukraine and Krim, what else; occasional music liners. Has the frequency to itself for the moment, no KMMJ (or KSEO, ha2). Of course it`s WNDZ, Portage IN (Chicago market). Its ratings must be way up lately, but probably not so much in Oklahoma (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, March 19 at 1303 UT, C&W music atop KNSS Wichita making fast SAH (~15 Hz), which was dominant before 1300 UT; 1315 UT timecheck and more music; 1318 UT KNSS atop; 1321 UT KCKM Monahans TX regains dominance at SRS, with adstring including Quality Cleaners in Kermit & Robo Cleaners in Monahans; truckers needed in Pecos (pronounced PAY-kuss); 8:22 TC, plug Bob Martin news later [is that the ex? TV anchor in Albuquerque?]; headlines include mercury spill at a school, radiation in Carlsbad NM. Singing ID at 1324, back to music, by B J Thomas.

I can hear KCKM just about any morning as its 12 kW daytime ND gets out very well despite much closer and daytime groundwaver KNSS Wichita KS. Official SR/SS in March are 1300/0100 UT, as it`s way west of the meridian and should be in the MST zone UT -7 instead of CDT UT -5.

I`m checking it out today as prélude to the big DX test scheduled with same day facilities, UT Saturday March 22 at 0500-0530 UT including code IDs, sweep tones, SFX and IDs. This test is a direct outgrowth of an unsolicited verie I got from KCKM last year, and reported as in
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1316.txt
as well as in my weekly MW log reports:

1330, KCKM: received an unsolicited e-mail verie April 12:

``Glenn, I noticed in your DX log that you received KCKM in early
April, just minutes before we dropped power. Our recent upgrade to 12,000 watts non-directional day combined with our 1/2 wave tower has made KCKM a great catch in the final minutes of daytime power. Congratulations! Attached is our coverage map. [Axually it was am, not pm].

And one more thing, we will be switching to C-QUAM AM Stereo on 1330
kHz by the end of the year. A lot of my contemporaries think I'm
insane and that's OK. It's about time other AM broadcasters revisit AM
Stereo.

I bought this place 6 years ago. It was licensed for 5000 watts but
was running 2200 watts. It was off-the-air and about to surrender the
license to the FCC. What a mess! But, I could see the potential.

Two years ago, I discovered KOYL in Odessa was gone for good. They
were at 1310 kHz. That allowed me to upgrade to 12,000 watts. Sadly, a
lot of stand-alone AM's in smaller communities are gone.

It cost a lot to rebuild this facility. It was a labor of love as I'm
not sure I'll be able to recover this investment.

If you belong to any DX clubs, I'd be happy to run 12,000 watts after
midnight if they're interested. Bob Souza, Managing Partner `` (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, March 17 at 1411 UT, presumed still KUAZ Tucson AZ, with NPR-inflected news, but fading out by 1412, more than a sesquihour after sunrise here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1650 kHz, March 18 at 1225 UT, always on the lookout for elusive XEARZ, Radio ZER near the DF, I am getting Spanish so listen a while: plug for Iglesia Alfa y Omega en Miami, Florida; loops NW/SE, ``16-50 AM`` ID, QRM, then plugs a location on Cherry Street, i.e. Denver CO`s KBJD which is Spanish religion, rather than El Paso`s KSVE with ESPN Deportes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, March 18 at 1221 UT, surprised to hear Mexican music (norteña) here mixing with sports-format stations. One of the three-in-a-row from the RGV to The Metroplex to Iowa must have flipped, unless it`s a real Mexican. This is hard to DF, but roughly N-S, and certainly not E-W from Tijuana which is sports in English. It is a bit counter-clockwise from the English stations, which implies DFW, i.e. I can null the others a bit that way. I keep checking but never catch an announcement; however at 1245 I hear some notes of the Mexican NA! But mixing with this other music. 1254 it`s about gone with KVNS dominating (see separate logs). I figure it`s got to be KKLF Richardson TX, ex ``Funny 1700`` all-comedy. Flip must have happened very recently. Soon confirmed by consulting the Texas board at:
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/86581/1700-kklf-dallas-sold/

``1700 KKLF Dallas Flips To Tejano
RadioInsight Last Updated on March 14, 2014 at 2:22 pm

[illustrated logo seal says ``KICK AM – Tejano and Conjunto``]
http://radioinsight.com/wp-content/images/2013/11/kick1700.png
[text associated with the image, comes out on copy but not visible on original:] Kick 1700 Tejano Funny KKLF Richardson Dallas Claro Communications Gerald Benavides

Update 3/14/14: Claro Communications has closed on its purchase of 1700 KKLF and has flipped it to Tejano "Kick 1700".

The "Kick" branding and Tejano format previously were used in the Dallas market by what is now Univisión’s 99.1 KDXX and 107.9 KFZO.

Original Report 11/4/13: The Joule Broadcasting Trust has sold Comedy "Funny 1700" KKLF Richardson/Dallas to Claro Communications for $1.25 Million.

Claro, run by Gerald Benavides, owns Spanish Talk 1500 KBRN and Tejano "Radio Jalapeño" 1540 KEDA/102.3 K272EK in the San Antonio market and Spanish Oldies 1510 KROB/94.3 K232DE and Regional Mexican "106.9 La Ley" KMZZ in the Corpus Christi market.

The Joule Broadcasting Trust (Formerly Volt Radio) was created to divest stations from the Cumulus/Citadel merger. Written By Lance Venta``

Apparently the real callsign, which ought to be a valuable commodity, has not changed to KICK --- FCC AM Query shows no station owns it but on -FM there is one on 97.9 in Palmyra MO. And I am fairly sure there is no such word in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, March 18 at 1254 UT, I have been monitoring the new Mexican music to be heard here, from flipped KKLF The Metroplex, which has been mixed with sports stations, no doubt KBGG in Iowa, and KVNS in Brownsville TX. By 1255, KVNS is dominating, with traffic report for the Lower Valley, 1256 local news, mentions Fox sports (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also MEXICO: 1700

** U S A. 1700, March 20 at 1158 UT, I am paying close attention to this frequency following yesterday`s discovery of a new Mexican presumably in Mérida. At this time, KVNS is dominant with Hidalgo County items from ``Channel 5 News`` atop KKLF Tejano music. 1200 UT ``KVNS, Brownsville and the Rio Grande Valley, 1700``, into Fox sports (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, March 19 at 0531 UT, break in Mexican music, for ID in unaccented English, ``Reaching the Metroplex with a totally Tejano sound, Kick-1700``, right back to música which is by definition tejana, dominant at the moment. Still haven`t caught a legal ID at hourtop for presumed KKLF Richardson TX, ex-comedy, ex-sports, ex-KLIF simulcaster (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1713, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, March 20 at 1158 UT, Tejano music from KKLF Richardson TX mixing with KVNS Brownsville news/sports; music plays right thru houtop, 1205 UT non-ID, ``By popular demand, Tejano returns to Dallas on Kick-1700``, right back to music. And at 1240 UT, ``Rockin` the Metroplex with a totally Tejano sound, Kick-1700``. Seems they run an English non-ID between every two or three songs which are always in Spanish. How bi-cultural! Does not believe in legal IDs? At 1241 UT beating against KBGG to the tune of 1.7 Hz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, March 20 at 1241 UT, traffic report ``on the 35``, i.e. KBGG Des Moines IA, since the other station on I-35, KKLF, is mixing with Mexican --- oops, Tejano if not Tejana music, at a SAH of 102 per minute = 1.7 Hz. 1243 UT, CBS Sports promo, which is the current net on KBGG (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2598-USB, March 17 at 0113, very poor signal in English on this Canadian Coast Guard marine weather frequency. According to http://dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm this would be VCM in St Anthony, Newfoundland & Labrador, starting at 0107 UT, but alternating with six other stations. As Don Moore found out, a neat frequency to monitor at night if your noise level permit, which mine hardly does. Other 2 MHz band Canadian CG channels in other regions are: 2749, 2582, 2514, 2054. Let`s hope they last a while longer unlike the USCG which abandoned the band last year, no more 2670s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net