[IRCA] 1986 and 1991 Perseus files

The following Perseus format files dubbed from videotape RF captures are now available:

1 MAY 1986, 0759-0801 UTC, 410-2010 kHz (Craig Healy - metro-Providence, RI, USA)
http://chowdanet.com/markc/rf/19860501_0759-0801z_410-2010.wav

2 APR 1991, 0759-0801 UTC, 810-1610 kHz (Mark Connelly - metro-Boston, MA, USA)
http://chowdanet.com/markc/rf/19910402_0759-0801z_810-1610.wav

These were reduced to 2 minutes each from longer files by use of the Chuck Hutton 'WavChopper' program.

Earlier information on the topic appears below.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA, USA

<<
I am fascinated by the conversion of a broadband vhs tape recording to a
Perseus file.  Well done......

So aligned freq for both, set PC date back, and played into perseus
aerial socket and press record?? Is that how it was done???

And it worked????

Any chance of posting a 5m or so toth Perseus file somewhere???

For 1986 and 1991....??? Night time files would be of interest as well...

Ken, Scotland

<<
I have converted the two best spectrum capture videotapes (1986, 1991)
to Perseus files and then dubbed off a few ID's with Total Recorder.
This is what I have so far:

http://chowdanet.com/markc/dx_audio/id1_19860501_0500e.mp3

ID's 5 a.m. EDT / 0900 UTC, 1 MAY 1986 from metro-Providence, RI (Craig
Healy VCR DX spectrum capture tape): WWKB-1520 NY, WTOP-1500 DC,
WPTR-1540 NY, WQXR-1560 NY, WCAU-1210 PA, WRCP-1290 RI, WHIM-1110 RI,
WHJJ-920 RI, WHN-1050 NY, WINS-1010 NY.

===

http://chowdanet.com/markc/dx_audio/id1_19910402_0500e.mp3

ID's 5 a.m. EST / 1000 UTC, 2 APR 1991 from Billerica, MA (Mark
Connelly VCR DX spectrum capture tape): WHDH-850 MA, WCAP-980 MA,
WBZ-1030 MA, WADN-1120 MA, WNEW-1130 NY, WMJX-1150 MA (ID for FM),
WKOX-1200 MA, WEZE-1260 MA, WJDA-1300 MA, WRCA-1330 MA, WFEA-1370 NH,
WLLH-1400 MA, WXKS-1430 MA, WTOP-1500 DC, WSSH-1510 MA, WQXR-1560 NY.

===

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
That's basically it Bill, though I think that 2 MHz would be about the
top of the baseband range.  Storing higher frequency blocks would
require a downconverter stage.  That, as far as I know, was the
intelligence agencies' method employed at places like Menwith Hill (UK),
Resolute Bay (Canada), Thule (Greenland), Incirlik (Turkey), the
Aleutian Islands, and numerous other monitoring outposts in the '60s
to snoop on the Russian bear (and probably the ChiCom's too).

Regarding Craig's comment, I have identified that his recording starts
at 0859 UTC on 1 MAY 1986.  Lots of news about the Chernobyl nuclear
reactor accident a few days earlier.  Fun to hear 1560 WQXR doing
classical, as well as hearing contemporary hit music and oldies on
numerous other stations that are now boring talk ... aah the good old
days!  No TA's or Latin Americans, but what do you want with only about
40 dB of dynamic range?

So, besides my 1991 stuff, now we have Perseus files from 1986!

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA