[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 7-13, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 7-13, 2014

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page20

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Feb 13 at 1341 UT, ad for Macy`s, so what`s this? Surely not KGYN, no Macy`s in little Guymon OK --- yes, it is KGYN, since next ad is local for mace! KGYN has been behaving itself lately, not really audible at night with null toward NYC. Official FCC February SR/SS are 1330/0030 UT; March, 1300/0045. It`s also audible weakly on daytime groundwave (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, UT Sunday Feb 9 at 0137, talk about OSU basketball, during game? atop some QRMusic (MusiQRM?), so must be KOKB Blackwell, part of Triple Play Sports originating in Stillwater. BUT: its usual sibling, KOKP 1020 Perry is not //, instead Fox Sports Radio, and so is the third station, KOSB 105.1 FM, nominally Perry, which I can easily hear. Normally the three match, but optionally split away for games, especially when two or three are playing at once, but why put OSU BKB only on the farthest station from Stillwater, which is allegedly only 49 watts at night? O yeah, maybe a blackout in hometown. Website is down when I try to check on game schedules, as if I cared for any purpose but this log.

1580, Feb 10 at 2137 UT, KOKB Blackwell is dead air as heard on the caradio, enough carrier to quieten the channel compared to some neighbors modulating. Recheck about 24 hours later on Feb 11, it`s back to sports talk (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** U S A. 660, Feb 11 at 1413 UT I check for KTNN Window Rock AZ, after good reception from 770 KKOB on day pattern. Yes, KTNN is in too, and zero-beat with KSKY The Metroplex such that there is *no* SAH and one can choose either by rotation. Now with PSA in English for Selective Service; 1414 PSA for not breaking bones, from orthoinfo.org, 1415 into Navajo language, but think I heard the English word ``referendum`` at 1419; 1421 back to English for sinus headache ad, and another for Valentine diamond rings. I guess poverty is no longer a problem on the res? Starting to fade at 1422 while KKOB is still in better. KTNN official sunrise is also 1400 UT in February (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, Feb 9 at 0131 UT, open carrier, dead air obviously from my nearest, KGGF Coffeyville KS, allowing WLW IBOC noise to be heard unimpeded by ancient amplitude modulation. This *could* go on for hours and hours, as heard from KGGF in the past, e.g. during a ballgame except no ballgame, just the local commercial inserts; and OC overnight. I haven`t bothered to log it lately, but it`s still signing off with patriotic music other than NA, and taps shortly after local midnight, 0600 UT, but not cutting the carrier then (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Feb 11 at 1404 UT, KKOB Albuquerque is VG with NM news, still audible at 1422 UT. Official Feb sunrise is 1400 UT for 50 kW ND, tho I can often hear it at night, either leaking around the null toward WABC or from the 230-watt ND Santa Fe booster, infiller (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Feb 11 at 1403 UT, ``Gospel 880, KLRG and K233BF, 94.5 FM, Sheridan-Little Rock`` (rather than KHAC despite NM/AZ on 770 and 660). WTFDA FM Database confirms the parallelism, but COL of K233BF is really Greenbrier, with 185 watts. That`s way north of LR beyond Conway AR on Hwy 65, and unlikely to reach LR at all. Of course, Sheridan is as far south of LR, but 50 kW daytime will certainly do the trick on 880 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, Feb 13 at 1348 UT I have been monitoring for anything in Spanish, with KRMP OKC nulled as much as possible, but it`s getting harder with earlier sunrises (today in Enid: 1321 UT). All I hear is another English, with KSOO [Sioux Falls SD] mentioned in passing.

However, Dave Hughes in Kansas City MO has kept checking 1140 and reported Feb 7:

``I finally was able to check 1140 in the local morning today. Again I was at work so reception of local stations is very poor but 1140 was most definitely in Spanish. Due to the horrible conditions in the building I couldn't tell if I had XEMR or the local KCXL. I was checking at 1340 UT. I will have a go at 1140 tomorrow around 1400 UT from home.``

and then reported Feb 11:

``Hi Glenn, I tried 1140 on Saturday morning [Feb 8] (after oversleeping) and heard at 1429 UT "Neon Jazz with Al DeMeo" (I will be listening to that show again: great tunes). I am finding it difficult to check at 1400 UT due to job responsibilities.

This morning I checked from home at 1245 UT and found S9+10 ranchera music. At work 10 minutes later I can hear nothing on 1140. Correction, very weak music amidst all the computer, wireless camera and other noise. I'll try at 1400 UT if I can. DH`` and --

``I finally heard 1140 at 1400 UT! It was in Spanish until TOH and then switched to English (news followed by "the Power Hour"), In Spanish I heard commercials for a law firm in KC, Kansas among other local things. After hearing it sooo strong from my QTH this morning after sunrise I had a feeling it was not a Mexican. I can't find any reference to it being in Spanish overnight, though, and it sort of seems out of synch with the whole patriot thing (learn English or go home). Their website doesn't seem to be there any more but I found a live feed on
http://tunein.com/radio/KCXL-1140-s32214/
DH``

I`ve checked and rechecked the Univisión website, but nothing radial found about Kansas City: suspect it`s quite incomplete, concentrating only on more major (or full-time) markets. I think they have a lot more affiliates than shown there; furthermore, Univisión America branding seems to apply to a variety of different formats depending on the `needs` of each market. One of these days I may drag myself out of bed and get the KCXL webcast going before 1400 UT. Thanks to Dave for checking this out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, Feb 11 at 0653 UT, phone 701-9590 to place advertising on this station in southeast Missouri, then weather, from ``the Kickin` Country 105 weather center`` on ---- 104.9, Kickin` Country 105, and into country music. Dominant signal with XEMR nulled, no WRVA now. What`s this? FCC AM Query shows it`s a total daytimer, 1 kW ND! KPWB in Piedmont MO. WTFDA FM database agrees that KPWB is // 104.9 KPWB-FM also in Piedmont, country format, but doesn`t have the slogan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 870, Feb 9 at 0127 UT, country love song with WWL talker nulled, but fading. From NRC AM Log, best bet by format, proximity, direxion and legal night operation is: KPRM Park Rapids MN, 40/1 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)