Re: [IRCA] The 1620 WJDI Story

Hi All:

I never heard WJDI, but I wonder if anyone recalls a pirate run by my HS speech teacher, Bob Trapp, in Grand Rapids, MI, in the late 50s. I think he used the calls WMAX, later used by other GR stations. Claimed he was running 100 watts on 1060 & was the only GR station playing rr at the time. He got Port Huron Northern HS its FM in 1972. But the year before that he got some kid in the electronics shop to build him a carrier current transmitter and was broadcasting around the school on 1000 and again using the calls WMAX. All that was well and good, but his transmitter had a nasty spur on 1015 that covered the whole town. Mr. Trapp also moonlighted at WHLS for a time. He died of cancer in about 1975.

73
David Faulkner

PS. In the "It's a small world" department, my roommate at MSU took piano lessons from Mr. Trapp's mother and thinks he remembers the pirate station.