[IRCA] 1640 KZLS OK flipping again

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Jan 31 at 2102 UT check, no news, just `True Oldies` music even at hourtop from KZLS Enid-Hennessey-Oklahoma City. But not for long! Tnx to Artie Bigley for finding this on the reactivated RadioInsight.com board for Oklahoma, posted by Lance Venta, yet *another* format change for 1640; call change coming too? ---

``Reid Mullins And Talk Coming To KZLS Oklahoma City
Last Updated on January 30, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Champlin Broadcasting will begin shifting "True Oldies 1640" KZLS Enid/Oklahoma City to Talk on Monday, February 3. Reid Mullins, who had hosted mornings at Clear Channel Talk 1000 KTOK until last August will join the station Monday for a daily program from 7 to 10 am [13-16 UT, probably meaning M-F only, not daily].

McCarvilleReport.com states that "The new show on KZLS will bring back the "information and news" paradigm that former KTOK listeners were accustomed to, Mullins said. Guests will include local, state, and national political figures, commentators, and experts in various fields and sectors from agriculture, energy, healthcare, immigration and more."

Mullins joining KZLS will kick off another format change at the station, which picked up the Oldies format and KZLS call letters when sister Classic Country "99.7 Hank-FM" KNAH debuted in late September. KZLS will shift to News/Talk in all dayparts by the end of February.``

One comment so far: ``It was a real treat to hear the Oldies on 1640 via skywave at night in the Dallas area. They had a real nice processor setting too and were not handicapped by the reduced analog bandwidth which so many AM stations seem to run as a default these days. Nothing like Oldies in marvelous mono on skywave. I knew it was too good to last :-( Jay Walker``. I guess the 1630 DFW outlet is evitable (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
On Thu, 1/30/14, Glenn Hauser <wghauser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 23-30, 2014
 To: mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "am@xxxxxxxxxxx" <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "MWC yg" <mwcircle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "mwdx" <mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 12:55 PM

 All times and dates strictly UT [5
 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal
 antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock
 caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

 These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports,
 mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which
 may be found in several archives without much delay, such
 as

 And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many
 other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

 All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in
 this forum with open access:
 http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page19

 These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma
 [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by =======
 Within each, they are in frequency order

 ** OKLAHOMA. 1270, Jan 23 at 2002 UT during music, I get
 around to comparing KTUZ Claremore-Tulsa to its new parent,
 KTUZ-FM 106.7 OKC: 1270 is running a couple Spanish words
 behind, about right for a satellite-feed delay. You`d think
 AM could pull a direct off-the-air feed from FM? Not with a
 106.9 Muskogee-Tulsa station in the way (Glenn Hauser, Enid,
 DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ====================

 ** U S A [and non]. During President Obama`s State of the
 Union speech, UT January 29 around 0235, I do a quick tune
 across the AM, FM and SW bands to find which stations are
 broadcasting it and which are not; on MW I do not dig deeply
 as the TV and computer are on, but find:

 Confirmed with SOTU: 700 WLW, 740 KRMG, 780 WBBM, 820 WBAP,
 830 WCCO, 850 KOA, 890 WLS, 980 KMBZ, 1040 WHO, 1080 KRLD,
 1110 KFAB, 1160 KSL, 1170 KFAQ.

 Confirmed NOT with SOTU, some with stupid ballgames, some
 with other equally stupid sports or far-right talk, some
 (WSM) with music: 650 WSM, 670 WSCR, 690 KGGF, 720 WGN, 760
 WJR, 840 WHAS, 1000 KTOK, 1100 WTAM, 1200 WOAI, 1510 WLAC.

 Due to the noise level could not tell which on 750 WSB, 870
 WWL.

 On the OK FM band, as expected, business as usual, except
 for 91.7 KOSU, the only one possibly carrying SOTU, with NPR
 --- but failing at 0243, in attempt to cut away from The Spy
 musical programming. Pres. Obama speech is JBM as there is
 something wrong with the feed --- maybe stereo input out of
 phase, as KOSU broadcasts only in mono!

 On shortwave, surprise2, none of the private US stations I
 can hear are carrying it. VOA is not on in English, of
 course --- but, Radio Martí 7365 is carrying the SOTU with
 voice-over translation.

 9885, Jan 29 at 0632 UT, VOA here is running Pres. Obama
 during regular English transmission, which is 06-07, 124
 degrees via São Tomé. I assume only excerpt, as the speech
 ran over an hour, unless the transmission was extended
 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 1010, Jan 27 at 0711 UT just as I tune across, ID
 for ``--- Classic, KIND``. That`s Independence, in SE KS,
 not so far but still doing well for only 32 listed watts at
 night, vs 250 day, non-direxional. Sure would be nice if we
 could believe listed night powers when we hear such stations
 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 1140, Jan 28 at 1340 UT, station in Spanish says
 it`s now on two frequencies, 690 y 1140; O`Reilly`s auto
 parts ad with jingle in Spanish; but mixed with another SS,
 maybe XEMR. I would expect the first one to be KLTK,
 Centerton AR (Rogers market), ``La Más Mexicana``, as often
 heard around SRS.

 The 690 could be KEWI Benton AR, which may have flipped from
 news/talk/sports in English. Benton is SW of Little Rock,
 getting into that larger market, not to be confused with
 Bentonville, Walmart HQ in the NW corner of AR, which is
 near Centerton, altho it`s missing from my Rand McNally.
 Closer 690 KGGF Coffeyville KS is still in English, whew.

 This says nothing about being on 690 too:
 https://es-la.facebook.com/pages/La-Mas-Mexicana-1140/114761538559014
 but there`s nothing more recent on it than Sept 2012! Tried
 some live streams, none of which work, nor does http://www.lamasmexicana1140.com/
 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 1140, 24 hours after yesterday`s unID announcing
 two frequencies in Spanish, 1140 and 690, I am trying again
 to get a definite ID. KRMP OKC is no problem, easy to null,
 altho it owns the channel on daytime groundwave (in
 English).

 At 1337 UT Jan 29, ranchera music and Univisión promo for a
 newscast at 6:30 (am or pm?), on 1140 y 102.9, La Poderosa,
 16 grados, and then ``Univisión Kansas City`` mentioned!
 1339 UT mentions ``Chihuahua, Chihuahua``, apparently ad for
 a musical group.

 Therefore, since the NRC AM Log was compiled in August, this
 station has flipped: KCXL Liberty MO, ``Radio Free
 Liberty``, U1 4000/6 watts; format was TLK/OLD, and it was
 // K275BQ on 102.9, which matches. FCC AM Query shows it`s
 still KCXL, licensed to Alpine Broadcasting Corp.

 But from 1344 UT Jan 29, another SS starts to come in on
 1140: ``La Tremenda`` with grocery prices, for Supermercado
 Las Américas, which we have previously matched with KLTK
 Centerton AR. Quick fade/outs/ins, during dynamic sunrise
 skip. 479 area code phones, matching NW Arkansas, 717-2885
 and 759-6090; in between playing música romántica; 1350 UT
 ID as ``Sensacional, Radio Las Américas, 11-40 AM`` (only);
 1353 UT again by SHVA. 1357 UT now ID as ``en dos
 frecuencias, 1140 y 1380 de amplitud modulada``, more music.
 ??

 I was quite sure the second frequency announced yesterday
 was 690; now it`s not, but I am not positive of the second
 digit. (Note 1380 is second harmonic of 690, probably
 insignificant). The only AR station on 1380 is KDXE, North
 Little Rock, already SS, but ``La Que Buena`` per NRC AM
 Log.

 Ahá, checking neighboring states, I see that 1380 KMUS
 Sperry (Tulsa) OK is listed as ``Radio Las Américas``, so
 that probably explains it (but not about 690). So 1380 KMUS
 is relaying 1140 KLTK with local ads from Arkansas? 1140,
 anyhow, at 1400 UT gives legal ID as ``KLTK, ---, Radio Las
 Américas, 11-40`` (only). By 1403 UT it`s losing out to
 KSOO, q.v. Hearing KMUS itself is tough here with heavy
 splatter from local 1390 KCRC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
 LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 1140, regarding yesterday`s log of KCXL now being
 ``Univisión Kansas City``, I belatedly search the NRCDXAS
 website on the call and find only this dated 12 Oct 2013:
 ``1140 KCXL MO Liberty – Format to TLK/NOS (ex-TLK/OLD)``.
 So greater flip to UV Spanish is more recent (Glenn Hauser,
 OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 1140, Jan 29 at 1403 UT, ABC news begins to
 overcome the Spanish on 1140, 1404 UT KSOO.com plug and
 Rotorooter Sioux Falls ad; 1405 UT weather: hi 38, lo 13,
 snow; now 5 degrees, and lo tonite minus 4 (Glenn Hauser,
 OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1200, Jan 25 at 0127 UT, big open
 carrier most obvious with WOAI nulled, and making fast SAH
 with it. Best guess would be WAMB Nashville which has a 50
 kW non-direxional transmitter for daytime; or maybe WRTO
 Chicago 20 kW reducing to 4.5 kW at night (Glenn Hauser, OK,
 DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 1200, Jan 28 at 0133 UT, tropical music segués, with WOAI
 nulled; 0138 UT, YL in Spanish about how to avoid divorce,
 apparently a counseling service, consejero, concludes with
 twitter and phone number only once: 1-800-829-2500, then
 romantic music. When WOAI fades a bit, this is well audible,
 otherwise making fast SAH. That phone leads to a religious
 book publisher, Bethany House. My suspicion is again WAMB
 Nashville TN, which just changed format from big bands.
 Probably the same one heard recently with open carrier after
 sunset. Blaine Thompson forwarded this to ABDX:

 http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2014/01/10/longtime-big-band-station-wamb-changes-formats-in-the-wake-of-owner-bill-barrys-death

 ``WAMB FM 99.3 and AM 1200 are proud to bring full time
 Latin Pop Music and English Pop Hits to the Middle Tennessee
 area. WAMB owner, the late Bill Barry was regarded as modern
 day pioneer in the Broadcast industry. He was proud to be
 the first one to bring Hispanic programing to Nashville and
 had been working with the Silva Entertainment family for
 over 2 decades. The new format will target first and second
 generation Latin American Market.

 WAMB regrets the end of 42 years of previous programming
 which included "Big Band" and the music of yesteryear. The
 family of Bill Barry greatly appreciates the staff, loyal
 listeners and advertisers that have touched our lives.
 However, this beautiful music can still be found weekdays
 from 12 noon until 3pm on WCOR AM 1490.``

 And refers to:
 https://www.facebook.com/99.3FMNASHVILLE
 Tail wags dog: Per NRC AM Log, 99.3 is really only a
 translator, W257AR, yet it gets top billing over a 50 kW AM
 transmitter!! WAMB 1200 is supposed to be daytime only, but
 with 3.8 kW Critical Hours, whenever those are (Glenn
 Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 1550, Jan 27 at 0641 UT, ad for Subway catering
 with a 225- area code. Figured it would most likely be
 Springfield/Branson, but no, it`s Bâton Rouge LA! This is
 on the FRG-7 with E-W longwire, at the moment atop heavy
 CCI. So WPFC which is supposedly 42 watts night, 5000 watts
 day, non-direxional, ``winning people for Christ`` (Glenn
 Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)